Maternal & Child Community
High Insulin/Normal Glucose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

High Insulin/Normal Glucose

My RE has been running tests to rule out why I'm having m/c's.  Well the Nurse called back yesterday and said HCG is now "-" and that they got the results from my fasting blood work.  Shows that my glucose is normal, but my insulin is high.  I've never had issues with this and the nurse told me "there's a first time for everything"...which didn't sit well with me, but that's beside the point.  They told me I have to exercise more, eat healthier (which isn't a problem, because my husband is a Type I diabetic, so we eat healthy), and start taking Glucophage (Generic Name: Metformin).  I asked how long and she told me I'd be on it while I'm a patient with them and maybe after that.  How can you have normal glucose and high insulin?  Do they not work together?  I'm just shocked because I've never been boarderline or anything until now.  I thought maybe I had "gestational diabetes" and that's why it was high, but with my HCG being normal, that wouldn't be from that...would it?  They wouldn't even let me exercise and wait on the medication.  I'm not one that likes to use medication when I don't necessarily need to.  I'm just confused and wondered it anyone had any insight they could share.
did they say what your insulin was at?  Insulin resistance is very common for those of us with multiple losses.  I had 2 mc's before I went to a specialist for the first time.  We did all the tests and one of the things that came back for me was insulin resistance....my levels were at 32 (normal is under 17).  Even though my sugars were in the normal to pre-diabetic range, my insulin was sky high.  Basically, the body doesn't know how to use the sugar when we are insulin resistant and thus we keep producing more and more insulin in an attempt to control the sugar.  That is why the sugar may appear normal, but it took that much more insulin to get it there.

My RE suggested I try to lose some weight - I've always been heavy and my sugars were boarderline for the last few years, but never diagnosed with diabetes although I have family history.  I was also told that I have PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome, meaning I get cysts very frequently on my ovaries.  Most women with PCOS don't ovulate regularly and don't have regular cycles.  I did have regular cycles though, so thought I was so smart and didn't think that was really what I had.  I tried to lose some weight, but then (smarty pants that I was) decided not to go back to the specialist and got pg for the 3rd time and lost that one too.  That is when I decided the guy knew what he was talking about.  I went back, he put me on Metformin and 2 months later I got pg again.  This RE had me stop the metformin when I got my positive test - well I lost that one too.  I started back on the metformin, switched REs, started with a personal trainer and nutritionist, lost about 25 pounds all over about a 6 month period while DH and I put things on hold.  I had my insulin checked again and was down to 21 - still high, but closer to the normal range.  We spoke with the RE and decided we were ready to try again - but this time I would stay on the Met thru 12 weeks and would also add progesterone suppositories from 3 dpo.  Well, first month trying it worked - I stayed on the Met thru 13 weeks and the progesterone thru 12 weeks and am now 26 weeks!  I had a 3 hour glocuse test a few weeks after stopping the Met and was fine, I go Friday for my regular 26 week test now - but the doctor feels I will fail the 1 hour and is sending me straight for the 3 hour again.  I hope I'll pass that one!  I think I will.

Anyway, long story short.....go on the Met and stay on it as long as they suggest.  I would personally push to stay on it thru the first trimester.  I will have to talk to my doctor after I have this baby and monitor my sugar and insulin levels periodically and determine if I need to go on Met again for general health reasons or if maybe the hormonal changes of pregnancy will keep me straight for a while.  Regardless, when we try for #2, I will demand to go back on the Met and the progesterone since that is what has worked for me this time around.  I know how hard it is, but be strong and add the exercise and eating right to the Met and hope for the best.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much for responding.  That helps a lot.  My number was 32 and was told they like it to be under 15.  My sugar has always been normal and I have regular cycles, but I do know my RE is testing me for PCOS.  This was my second m/c and I decided to see what was going on.  We don't have problems getting pregnant, just staying pregnant.  I've never had any issues with diabetes (was never told I was boarderline) so this came as a shock to me.  I start the Metformin tonight and have a 6-week check up scheduled.  I am a little overweight, but have always been that way.  I was told to lose 10lbs at my initial consultation with my RE.  I'm working on that.  There is so much that I don't understand.  Thanks again for responding.