Maternal & Child Community
How are you (or did you) choose your pediatrician?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Its hard to find a good pediatrician.  How did you choose yours?

0%
 (0) 
Oh dear! Its on my "To Do" list!. I have no earthly idea yet!
28%
 (6) 
I'm asking family and friends for recommendations.
9%
 (2) 
I'm asking my OB for a recommendation
4%
 (1) 
I'm using the internet for research and ratings of local peds.
57%
 (12) 
Another way. (describe in the comments)
21 Members voted
I asked my OB and she recommended a group. I have been very happy with them so far.
w/ my first 2 dds i went to the family medical clinic that i also went to through my pregnancies.  when my 3rd dd was born and had to go to the nicu i took a recomendation from them and switched.  i LOVE their practice and have been incredibly happy w/ them.
"Another way"

We procrastinated and only 1 of the 5 pediatric practices  in my town were accepting new patients at that time (1 week before I was to be induced! lol).   We are very happy with our daughters pediatrician.
We had to pick a pediatrician that was on the list of groups that was affiliated with the hospital we were delivering our 1st son at, so I asked my OB which he'd recommend.  However, after the initial hospital consultation (and we went to one follow-up appt), we then switched to our local family general practitioner doctor as the other was almost an hour away.

We used this same general practitioner when my 2nd son was born as well.  However, we will be searching for a more local Pediatrician for when the 3rd is born.  I do not like to assign blame, but I am now kicking myself that we ever switched to a family doctor instead of staying with a pediatrician.  Since 3 months  of age we had been concerned about Alden's lack of weight gain, seemingly unquenchable thirst and soaking through diapers.  He dropped from the 75% to the 5% on the weight chart (his length went down somewhat too, but not as sharply), and our family doctor just said every month (at his check-ups) that he was just going to be a "tall, thin" kid... and that I needed to switch him over to a bottle and give him solids, because my breasts weren't producing enough.  As some of you know, we almost lost Alden to DKA (type 1 diabetes) at 10 months when his blood sugar spiked over 1000.  His endocrinologists have repeatedly asked me if our doctor ever did a simple blood/lab check on him, given the growth chart drop and my concerns... sadly, she never did.

I'm sure not ALL family practitioners are bad or negligent in caring for babies/kids, but we now feel that we need to make sure we find a certified pediatrician who might therefore be a little more knowledgable about children!
i hadnt really thought about it..but DS's current pediatrician came to our room and was looking after every new born babies. I cried because he made him cry...(keep in mind my baby was only 7 hours old at the time) at first we didnt see eye to eye on alot of things and i thought he was a little coocoo but now..that i finally understand him and he understands me.. things are much better.. and he is the only asthma specialist in the region and guess what.. DS has him!
When I asked my OB, she gave me a standard list.  I googled them and chose one based on his pic.  I thought he looked liked he had a kind face and others had told me they liked the practice he was apart of.  Well, I ended up hating him.  I expressed my frustration to the daycare director and she recommended one to me and it has been great ever since.  
my sons ped at birth was the on call dr and to me was a god!  but  our ins changed to hmo and he refused to let ins tell him what to do so we had to switch.  i chose another based on a friends word and hated her.  now i go to a group and i love my ped and several of the other drs there too.  they have an urgent care for peds on the weekend and i love that.
I looked at the list of ped's covered by my insurance and at the ranking of best ped's in my area and found a cross-section.  I showed my list to my ob and he narrowed it down for me even further.  
A condition of Ashtyn's release from the NICU is that we had an appointment scheduled with a developmental ped before we were able to leave. So, I went to my insurance company and got a list of dev. ped's covered, which only had one doc so the decision was kinda made for me! She ended up being a quack, and we are not going back there.
We don`t have one, there is a real shortage in this city. However, when my son was born, a family physician was recommended - I did not have one before - and he writes referals to paediatric specialists if needs to be.
ANother way

Im going to use the pediatrician that i worked for as a nurse for 3 years...she is just great! I got lucky with this one
We chose the clinic closest to our house since they also have an urgent care which can come in handy with a little one (although we have not used it yet).    We went to 3 different pediatricians at the clinic and finally settled on one.  I also took into consideration a local magazine which list Top Docs (rated by which docs other doctors and nurses would go to).
I got my son's pediatrician by asking the nurse of my ob-gyn who she takes her kids to, within our HMO.  She gave me a name like it was a golden secret and only a few of us lucky ones get to go to this doctor.  I have stuck with the pediatrician the nurse recommended because she (the pedi) is also the department head.  However, the pedi who took care of Augie the first three days after he was born when he had jaundice seems like she is a better doctor, and I might track her down and switch if I get pregnant again.  (I can't help but wish Augie's pedi would not pull on Augie's foreskin each time she sees him.  It can't be THAT important to see if it pulls back yet.)
You'd be shocked at how many people stare blankly at me when I ask who their pediatrician is going to be, when they come in to have the baby.
Extremely blank looks!   I'm dead serious.  And some of these ladies are IVF, too.  They focus so hard on getting pregnant that it doesn't seem to occur to them that there will be a baby who has to have a pediatrician see the baby after the birth.  

If someone doesn't have one, which is about 85% of the time at our hospital, we just assign one...we have a list and just go down the list, rotating the next pediatrician in line.

We contacted our insurance, got a list of covered pediatricians, narrowed it down by location, narrowed it further down by gender (figured a boy would want a male doctor in the future) and then went and met with him. He seems to be the perfect match for us, he has a lot of the same ideals and child rearing ideas that we have. His office hours can't be beat, he has privileges at the hospital we go to...all in all it was an excellent find.
I called one of the Mayo family clinics that I would be using and being that at the time I had all girls, I asked for a good female pediatrician. I decided to give her a try and I LOVE her. We have been with her for nearly 10 years now. She is one of the favorites there and we are so fortunate to have gotten our family in with her because they no longer take on any families for her care due to being full (for this particular pediatrician). She has been so good with Brody, also.
Another way

I found my DD ped. by asking about their vax policy. I wanted a ped. that would not hound me about getting DD vaccinated at every visit. Her doctor told me it was my decision as a mother and they would treat DD like they do every other child that visits their practice. I personally like when I am calling the shots and not some doctor telling me what I have to do. Also he is very good with DD and their staff is very friendly.
We were really fond of the pediatrician on call at the hospital.  It turns out, he's in the same practice with the pediatrician that my best friend used and loved.  
Here in the great white north, you don't get to have a ped unless there is a problem and your family doc does a referral. Oh to have a ped!! :) Even family docs are scarce up here, so I am thankful that I have one. I read in books about "the right way to prepare for your baby" and it mentions getting set up with a pediatrician and I sigh....if only!! And, to actually pick one, sounds glorious!!