Maternal & Child Community
How do you know if you are leaking amniotic fluid slowly?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Last night a couple of times when I woke up my shorts were wet. It was not discharge and it wasn't sweat. Could it be amniotic fluid or could I be leaking urine in my sleep??  I hate to call the doctor because I call all the time!! Please help!!
Actually I had that last month remember and I waited before calling the doctor and he got mad at me.  I did not panic because I had the doppler and knew the baby was ok.  So do call - just to help you relax I am sure you are fine.

I went in and had lots of clear discharge - he even said I shoudl have been concerned that I was not nuts but that it was not the fluid.  They check it right there and tell you withing seconds.

Now to the more gross part.  We are both the same amount along and this week has been really heavy on the fluids.  This morning especially.  And it does say in the book that you get an increase in discharge in the third trimester so I am sure that is what it is but still call your doctor.
I remember that you had to go in. I really don't want to call because I went in last week for the swelling-I feel like I call all the time. I have been fine today, no leaking. Do you still think I should call??
I've kinda been having a lot for some time now.  Sometimes I change my panty liner 3 times in one day.  Sorry tmi, I know.
If your worried, I'd say call your dr.  That's what we pay them for :-)
I have been reading and it says if it smells like ammonia then it is probably urine leakage. It did smell  like ammonia, so I guess I am now leaking urine! YEAH!! :)  
Don't you wish sometime you married a doctor... lol.

I know with Marcus I had no problems... then my second was a miscarriage at 11 weeks and now this one is totally different.

I've been bleeding almost weekly since 11 weeks, had my first ever UTI, my cervical mucus is an odd colour (don't ask.. nurse said some women have a green tinge... ya right, do you?) I've had constant tightening, or the feeling that I have an extremely hard shelled belly. Last night my lower back hurt so much I could barely walk or get off the couch. Going to the chiropractor helped a little but it took a while for it to feel better. Today I'm fine. Oh, and I've already started dropping.

The wonders of being with child...
Thank God for this website that we can share our stories with.
hello again !yeah it sounds like urine , i did leak fluid from about 34 weeks untill the water broke at 38 weeks . the only way to tell is as you say urine smells amonia (ammonia) fluids is sweet. good luck x x
I don't know how far along you are, but my fluid leaked with both full term babies.

I could feel it leaking, and it was just like water in my panties.  It was a very slow leak.  The u/s showed a normal amount of fluid. It happened with my daughter at 39 weeks.  I went to the dr., he ran a slide, verified it was amniotic fluid...and I was sent immediately to the hospital for induction.  Baby was born 12 hours later.

Same thing with my son.  I was 38 weeks, water was leaking, called the dr....he ran a slide, he actually had to do it twice, becuase it came out neg the first time.  I insisted it was fluid, so he ran another slide.  Sure enough, it was.  Sent immediately to the hospital for induction.  Had my son 10 hours later.

Who gives a who who if your dr. gets irritated.  He is getting paid enough from your pregnancy to purchase a ski boat.  If your water is leaking, it introduces a high chance of infection to the fetus.  Quit screwing around if you think this is fluid...Call the dr.
okay guys i want someone to try this and tell me if it works. apparently i havent been there yet so id like to know if it works. You put a pad on and obviously if it is amniotic liquid the pad has a blue shade in it.. Or so I have hear i dont know if it works try it hehe
I think it is just urine because it smells like ammonia. I have never had urine that smelled like ammonia before but it sure is interesting what pregnancy does to you!  Now I have old lady ankles, leaking urine, can't sleep, can't breathe, horrible acid reflux and the skin of a teenager except that when I was a teenager my skin was great! I know it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck to you. I forget how far along you are now?? I will be 30 weeks on Friday! :)
Never feel ashamed about calling your doctor--that is what they are there for--your baby should always come first.  Do whatever your gut is telling you and if something is happening to cause you to question, then call your doctor.
I am like newbie - I change about three times a day and just this morning while brushing my teeth I went to spit and that little pressure made me pee a little.  Nice huh?  soon I am going to just wear diapers.

I do know that the fluid will smell sweet.  and he had asked if it was enough that it would run down my leg.

Don't ever feel bad about calling them.  I call at least once a week.  They are used to it.
I always feel like I call all the time!  I figure they are on the other end going "oh no, not her again"! LOL :)
I am 30 weeks today. I'm like you but don't have the acid reflux or the teenage skin. Well I did just notice my first pimple on my nose yesturday. :)

Soon we will have our bodies back but I don't think our lack of sleep will change for a while.  Not to mention that I won't have an excuse to go to Wendy's anymore. I'm enjoying my Chicken BLT salad right now...
They get on the phone with me and I am like HI its Kim.  And they are like Hi how are you - whats going on Kim.

hahaha... They know me well because I was hospitalized for those 9 days and they had to see me in rotation and they all loved me and felt bad for me so they are really nice now.
I don't think it has a blue-ish tinge.  My waters broke shortly before both my labours.  I had to wear pads on the way to the hospital and it was clear.  Did have a faint sweet smell.
okay so it's a myth hehe thanks for clearing that up-i wonder why people say that...*wonders* lol
Thanks for all the good advice as usual! :)
What turns blue is Litmus paper (PH paper) when it coems into contact with amniotic fluids. that's probably what you heard.
I am 37 weeks and have had contractions since friday...on and off...i thought i was leaking fluids went in on saturday and they did the test both with ph paper and a slide...neg! gaaa....I am still leaking some sort of clear fluid but apparently it's not amniotic fluid...probably cervical discharge. I have my next prenatal appointment on Thursday so I am just going to suck it up until then I guess. It's so embarassing being told you are def not in labour when you go to the hosp...I felt like a burden...like i wasted the nurses time...the doctor was awesome though made me feel much better.
how can you tell the differance between amniotic fluid and urine is there a color, smell? any advice would help
doe anyone use this site? i noticed that the dates are older
urine has an ammonia smell to it and amniotic fluid has a sweet smell.
I am 27 weeks and have been in -n- out of the hospital since I was 23 weeks due to preterm contractions. Well the last time I was in the hospital that doc gave me procardia and I am still having contractions, lower back pain, lots of pressure in the pelvic area, and now I feel like pee every time I stand up. Is it possible that I am already leaking amniotic fluid? The baby has been very very active. By that I mean she moves all the time I might get 30 minutes in between swims were she doesn't move could that mean anything?
this happened to me when i was around 37 weeks pregnant, turns out it was a bad case of thrush causing extreme watery discharge!! Sorry to be gross but it was simple to clear up
Im 38 weeks pregnant got a clear fluid dripping out, started last night constantally feeling wet is there anyone that can help please?
I am now 36 weeks almost 37 and have been have false contractions for about 3 weeks now and I have been haveing a discharge or watery substance leaking some form of fluids. I have no idea what it is. My other pregancys were nothing like this one. Very different. I have told my doctor and she don't act concerned about me leaking fluids. The baby is still very active. So that is a good sign? I'm about to start wearing pads just to stay dry. What do I do. I'm starting to feel Nauseated also I don't understand why I'm not sick or anything. Hopefully it is just nerves.  
I am 31 weeks pregnent and for a couple of weeks i have been getting a watery liquid but it is like a cloudy colour liquid i dont get it all the time but i mostly get it after i have been to pass urine i will finish then when i get up and walk it just gushes out.. does anyone no what it could be?
I'm 33 weeks, and for the past two days I've been slowly leaking watery liquid. I went to the doctor for a check up today and told him about it, and he said it was urine because she might be on my bladder. I know it's not urine though, or discharge. It doesn't have a smell or anything. Is this normal?
I am almost 35 weeks and my doctor had an ultrasound done to check the baby's weight and noticed my amniotic fluid was lower then what it should be. I did not think to tell him, but I have noticed that my underwear seems to be wetter like I peed myself but it doesn't smell like it. I don't know what it smells like. But as I sit here I am also feeling like something is coming out very slowly. Does anyone have any input? I don't like to over react. But I want to be on the safe side. (And it is too late to call the doctor now) 10:55 my time :)
hi
im 35 weeks and like mommabear having the leaking with the sweet gone of smelling fluid which is a yellow colour when i check.
it isnt urine as it doesnt smell like urine, i could go to the loo wipe myself dry and within 5 mins i feel wet again sorry for TMI!
im startin to feel slightly concerned as wen i went for my growth scan last week they told me there is less water surrounding the baby than there usually is, i didnt think of tellin them about the leaking as i thought it was just normal where the baby is pressing on my bladder, but after thinkin about it and googlin alot about it im startin to feel slightly concerned, is anyone else going thru the same thing? or does anyone have any advice, i dont like to hassle the hospital or doctor as i dont wnt to seem like a hypercondriac, this is my first baby so i really got no idea what to expect!

advice anyone plzz??
thanks
x
omg this is my second pregnacy.. and i thought this only happend to me.... i also have to change my panty liner often durring the day due to when i finish urinating and i sit back down at work a little more comes out but its urine because it does have the smell of amonia (ammonia)... im a cosmetologyst so when i smelled it i kinda freaked out.. but i think you should always ask your doctor  for  questions or concerns.....its always good to ask
Hi my name is kesha I'm 39 weeks and this is my first preganancy and my bestfriend told me if u use the restroom and wipe yourself afterwards and urine constantly comes out when u thinking you're done then that means u have a hole in your bag and you're leaking fluid I been having that happening lately so I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. She said it happened to her and the doctor said she was leaking fluid badly so they induced her labor..
Im 28 weeks pregnant woke up friday night thought id wet myself!!!! Then yesterday (saturday) i had gone to the toilet stood up to pull up my pants and big gush came out soaking my clothes and floor, since friday ive had a distinct sweet odour from myself which reminds me of when my waters broke on my last pregnancy, it definately doesnt smell like urine, my underwear does be wet too. Went to hospital lastnite and they done an internal so see if they could see what they called "pooling" and nothin was there, they took swab for tests and they only done a trace on babys heart and movements but no scan on fluid levels :( then sent me home after an hour with two tubs to catch any other gushes or leaks of fluids! My minds all over the place and still worried it could be slow leakage of waters, my next visit isnt until the 28th Jan :( So exhausted this week have no energy cant breath also havin braxton hicks which so far are not painful just real uncomfortable and make my breathing worse, boobs also leaked clear fluid friday..... So confused!!!!!!!!!!!
I am 5 weeks pregnant and while having sex clear fluids gushed out. I didnt know it happened until my husband told me and showed me a big wet spot on the bed. It didnt stink or anything. Does anyone know what would cause that? I saw somewhere that might be a warning sign of a miscarriage. Is that true? I havent been to a Dr. yet so dont really have anyone to call.
I would go to ur doc for advice just incase but it could be just from havin sex but thats what docs are there for to ask advice. And no question is too silly either i ask my doc all sorts of questions and we chat as if she was one of my closest friends shes always reassuring.
I am 25 weeks pregnant and just got back from Labour and Delivery because I was worried that I was leaking amniotic fluid too.  They tested me and said that it was just discharge and that it can be thin at around this time.  I am also on bed rest and have a cerclage, so the discharge will be more than usual and it may pool due to lying down so much.  After reading the posts, I was glad that I got checked out. The reason that I went in the first place was because after 2 changes of damp underwear that had a watery,clear, odorless discharge, I was starting to feel concerned.  After being checked, I now feel relieved.  :)
The clear liquid that came out of you during sex, was most likely you climaxing. It happened to me too. But not until I was pregnant. Your glands in your vagina are swollen, making it tighter and better able to feel. You probably came. I mean, ask your doctor to be sure, but that's my opinion.
Im 39 weeks pregnant and im having craps every 5 min and im leaking fluid i have 2 kids and this didn't happen with them
It's only a certain kind of pad specifically meant to detect fluid leaks. It's called Amniosense. It has a yellow strip that stays yellow if it's urine and turns blue, green or grey if it's amniotic fluid. You are supposed to be able to buy them at pharmacies but I couldn't find them at any local pharmacies, so my doctor gave me a sample pack. I tried it last night and it turned a bluish grey colour. However the instructions say that tap water, sweat and a couple of other things can affect it due to pH levels, and I sweat a fair bit these days. So I'm thinking I'll try another one and if it happens again I'll call my doctor.
i am having that same problem at this point, although im pregnant with twin boys. my doctor REFUSES to take them now even after telling him these problems. i believe its just pee...but i still wanna be safe because its not only my life, its my kids.
i was 39 weeks pregnant and i was leaking fluid i called the hospital they told me to come in, when i arrive there the doctor ask me a few questions then afterward they gave me an ultrasound and that was it, and they did not do anything els they sent me home two day after i went to my doctor appointment i told my doctor what was going on with my body and she didn't do nothing soo afterward i was on bedrest the whole week, that weekend i went in to labor and the stupid doctors told me some bad news which i could not believe i felt like i was about to die, NELIGENCE all that time the fluids that was come out was amniotic fluilds at that time my daughter was 40 weeks no health problem nothing SOME DOCTOR IS FULL OF ****
I am 39 weeks baby has dropped and cervix has started thinning out and I'm leaking fluid I been wondering the samething