Maternal & Child Community
How frequent is fetal movement at 16 weeks? / OPEN FORUM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi all.  I've had "false alarms" before, thinking that I felt the baby kick.  But I think yesterday was the real thing.  I was in the bathroom, washing my hands when I felt bubbles in my right side.  It almost felt like when your stomach is really sick and you get those diarrhea bubbles ( sorry, tmi).  But I wasn't sick at all and the location of the "bubbles" was very strange.  I'm convinced that it was a kick! It only lasted seconds.  So here's my question.  How long will it be until I feel him again? I'm so excited! What a great way to start off Thanksgiving!  I'm very very thankful.. :-)

And I also just hope that everyone has a great day tomorrow.  We all have so much to be thankful for. Even if you've had a bad year which a lot of us had, I believe that things will look up and will work themselves out.  I'm thankful that I have a great group of strangers that are willing and care enough to support women that have had a hard time or are in need of some support.  Thank You.  Have a great Thanksgiving ya'll.

Love, Erin
I am 16 weeks 3 days today, as I remember we are at exactly the same stage. I started to feel the baby's movement a few days ago. I always feel it around 3:00pm. it lasts for only a few minutes, but yesterday it lasted for tens of minutes. It is my first time as well, so I really don't know if that is normal. I am pretty sure that I can tell the difference between the grumbling of my tummy and my baby's wiggling movements. I am eager to know as well about how frequent the movement should be and how long the movement should last. Thanks all!
I felt my son at 11 weeks, fairly consistently, but he was my 2nd.  I felt the first on a consistent basis around 20 weeks, but definitely experienced fetal movement around 16.  Next month, you'll notice more regular fetal movement.

You'll notice more movement when you are still.  When you are moving, it kind of 'rocks' the fetus to sleep.  This is why newborns LOVE movement, as it quickly comforts them feeling as if they are in the womb.  A newborn will frequently 'wake up' when set down or movement stops.  

The most opportunitsic moment to feel fetal movement is after lunch and a cold glass of water, go lay down.  After a few minutes of being still, the fetus will begin to 'wake up'.  Good luck, this was my FAVORITE part of pregnancy!!!
I felt movements at 16 weeks but not really daily, every other day. Now he isn't as active as he was 2 weeks ago, I'm 23 weeks and it drives me bonkers!!! I love feeling him move, it's the neatest thing ever, congrats and Happy Thanksgiving
yup, that was your baby!! i felt my first at 13 weeks. its hard to describe, just little tiny kicks & movement. have you ever held a big earthworm in your hand when you were little? the way it wiggles and squirms and tickles a little bit? thats what it felt like early on. it will get stronger as time passes. waking you up in the middle of the night and playing congo drums on your kidneys hehe.
I felt this one at 16 weeks for the first time, just light taps right above my pubic bone.  I'd only feel it three or four times a day.  Now I'm 19 weeks and there are strong kicks several times a day.  It's quite amazing how much more they can kick in just three or four weeks.
I m 13 weeks prego.  Thou this is my 1st one, I could feel my baby move from 12 weeks itself. It's definitely not gas, as I can differentiate between those two..  U feel some kind of motion / bubbles just above the bikini line and below belly button...   I can  feel it early in the Mrng just before I get out of bed n when my stomach is empty :)