Maternal & Child Community
How long do drugs stay in the amniotic fluid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have a friend who is due any minute. She took opiates up till a month ago but has stopped. Now she is afraid that they are going to drug test the newborn. How long do opiates stay in the amniotic fluid?
I believe the drugs stay in the placenta and in the baby, not the amniotic fluid.  
I could be wrong but I think that the opiates would still be in the baby's system and it may be possible that the baby will be born addicted. I sure do hope she comes clean on this as the baby may need special treatment when it is born.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

So sad, poor baby......
i feel horrible for this poor baby
It depends what she was on, how heavily she was using, and what method the hospital might use for screening.

The amniotic fluid is not an issue.  The two main types of drug testing on newborns is via meconium (the baby's stool) or urine.  Meconium testing can detect drug use in the mother for quite a long time.  Urine testing usually only detects back for a few days to a week or so.  Again, depending on what was being ingested, how heavily, and for how long.

The hospital does not have to have the mothers consent to test the baby.  They can test if they have a reasonable suspicion.  
She wasn't a heavy user just a little bit at a time... atleast that is what she says... but the doctor told her that they would check the amniotic fluid.
Does it make a difference if she hasn't used in a long time or can they still detect it?
I really hope they detect it so that she is watched and monitored as a parent, this baby does not need a mom who uses drugs.
There was a reason why she was using them. She was never an addict. She is a wonderful parent to her little boy. She is afraid now that if they do detect it they will take her children away. She just wants to know if they can still detect it even if she has not taken anything in quite some time.
Probably not--depends on what you mean by "she hasn't used any in a long time".  They do not check the amniotic fluid, though.  I'm think she misunderstood.

She'll give a urine sample, possibly a blood sample, and the baby may be bagged for a urine sample or a stool sample might be collected.

That's how drug screens are done.  
a wonderful parent does not take drugs. period.  i dont care if her back was broke and thats the reason she was taking them..  doesnt she know whatever she ingests, smokes, injects goes to the baby as well?    

she needs to get help and to inform the doctor of her use that way they can be ready incase there are complications with the baby because of her use. if she doesnt tell them then she is irresponsible and in no way a good parent for a baby.
How many people have made mistakes in their life? I mean we all do right? If someone is trying to turn their life around then why down them? I know what this girl has been through... something that not alot of people would understand. But I don't think that she is a bad person, she just hit a rough spot.
I think the main point (no matter how the situation came about) that everyone is saying is that the baby might be at risk for addiction/ withdrawal.  The baby's doctor should know about the use, so the baby can be monitored appropriately.  No matter what you think of how the situation occurred, the baby should not be allowed to suffer if it can be helped.
All I want to know is even if she stopped a while ago the baby can still be born addicted right? And if the drugs can still be in the babies system. She is worried about her child and if the situation was different she would of never used any drugs at all. I know her better then myself. She would never put any of her kids in harms way.
I'm sorry, but here is all I can find on the subject, and it does not offer a timeline.

"The use of opioids during pregnancy increases the risk of medical and obstetric complications, potentially affecting both the woman and the fetus. Opioids cross the placenta and enter the fetal bloodstream. The level of opioids in the fetal bloodstream is lower than in the mother's, but drug concentrations are often high enough to harm the fetus.

"Using opioids during pregnancy may lead to intrauterine growth restriction (the fetus does not grow to its full size while in the uterus), low birth weight, decreased head circumference, and minor developmental delays.

"Complications that can occur during pregnancy as a result of opiate use include

* maternal abruption: the premature separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus, a potentially very serious situation for the mother and baby
* eclampsia: a life-threatening condition involving high blood pressure and seizures
* placental insufficiency: insufficient blood circulation in the placenta
* breech birth
* ruptured membranes
* premature labor
* stillbirth

"Babies born to women who use opioids during pregnancy are sometimes born dependent on the drug. The withdrawal these infants experience after they are born is called neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS). NAS usually affects the infant's central nervous system and gastrointestinal tract; symptoms include muscle spasms, irritability, high-pitched crying, diarrhea, disturbed sleep and feeding, vomiting, hiccups, stuffy nose, sneezing, and breathing problems. The onset and persistence of these symptoms vary, but symptoms generally begin 48 to 72 hours after birth and typically subside in a week. Infants born to mothers who take prescribed methadone can also show symptoms of withdrawal, but these are typically treated safely in hospital after birth."
Thank You for your help. I am praying that the newborn will be okay. Right now she is post term and is going for an induction tonight. With the sauna gram the baby was healthy and already 5lbs and 2ounces and that was one month ago. I am praying that God will keep this child out of harms way.
Thank you for your help and God Bless.  
Given that you are there for your friend, be there also for the baby, and if the baby shows neonatal abstinence syndrome symptoms as described above, urge your friend strongly to come clean with the doctors so the baby can be treated and cared for properly.  Praying that the child is kept out of harm's way is a good start, but you might have to take some action too.  Good luck.
If she wasn't an addict and there was a reason for her using these drugs then her doctor would already know about it because he SHOULD have been the one prescribing them. I think that all pregnant women are smart enough to know not to self medicate. If she was taking pills with her doctors instruction she would have no need to worry about the baby being tested. I really hope this baby turns out healthy!
hi. I can see most people are being judgemental instead of trying to help answer your questions. Ive been researching to try to answer your questions. I cant find anything on exact timelines for detecting drugs. All i read was that they could detect drug use in the third trimester with Meconium testing. If she honestly stopped a while ago the baby should not be born addicted. Really depends on what "a while ago" is though. Opiates withdrawel typically takes about a week for the physical symptoms to be done. Though it does take a little longer for the drugs to be out of the babys system. I hope that helps.
mistake or not i'm with the other ladies...during pregnancy there should be NO drug use. my docs wanted to prescribe me a small dose of oxycodine for my hip (i broke it a few years back and it didn't heal properly. the weight i gained from my twins was putting too much pressure on it) i refused. flat out refused. i was in excruciating pain for 24 weeks until i was put on full bedrest. if the docs are going to test the baby and she used through most of the pregnancy it will probably show up.

i have a cousin who used opiates during 2 of her pregnancy and both babies were tested. the tested the stool. she stopped 2 months prior to giving birth during the 2nd pregnancy and it showed up.
i just realized this was from 09....it's not 09 it's 2010. lolol...
ha! lady i have a broken back and im on lortab & a low dose of morphine --- AS DIRECTED BY MY DOCTOR! --- That does NOT make me a BAD MOM! i broke my back at walmart on an icy parking lot i was about 3 months preggy. im 33 weeks now and my doc says my baby is doing just fine! you shouldnt be so judgemental to people that have problems. have you ever had a broken back and preggy that hurts really bad and id be putting more strain on the baby by not helping take care of myself. atlest thats what my doc says.
I think its ridiculous for people who dnt know what they are talking about to judge other people 1st of the only effects of opiates on a fetus are the same as smoking ciggs and not even as bad as that besided the possible risk of an addicted baby dependig on the amount used and when they stopped this woman is simply looking for help not judgement i myslef was an addict b4 i got prgo and know how tough it is to stay away from it i was able to go to rehab and get myself clean and the only time i used was b4 i found out though i dint find out till iwas three months
My cousin had a baby boy about 9 months ago and she took opiates throughout her whole pregnancy and tried to stop a few weeks before the baby was due.She went into labor about 6 days after stopping. It's pretty dangerous to stop the pills if you have been taking alot of them! The baby can go through withdwrawl in the womb. She should really just talk talk to her doctor.
First off pinkbelle you obviously have never suffered real pain. I was hit by a drunk driver, I have a frozen shoulder, nerve damage on one side from my head down neck and arm and a torn labrum in hip. I have been on meds prescribed by and monitored by my dr. Throughout my pregnancy. They have to take her early bc she's a healthy big baby and my hip won't hold anymore. You know nothing of pain or pain medication use during pregnancy. I agree illegal drugs are wrong but this girl did not specify and you go break your back and see if you can deal with chronic pain and NO meds. Get a life bc ur **** stinks just like everyone elses!
My daughter did cocainr one tie in her pregnancy and did some weed to get an appitite, so the baby can gain weight,i now have a healthy baby grandson, I just wanted to know how long does the cocaine stay in the babies stool.It has been over a month and the urine came out clean,
no, if she stopped a while ago, the baby will not born addicted or withdrawl (withdrawal)! but i know heroin stays more than 6 wks before you give birth...
Hi sweetie let me say this too you,cuz ur comment is very offensive to me ..my Dr discovered I had a serious condition a few months b4 I got pregnant, So bad that I had to be put on percocets to function, when I found out I was pregnant I told my Dr I wanted to stop and just be debilitated during my pregnancy..He told me that stopping will actually hurt the baby(mind you this is a t 4 wks pregnant) because the pain my body was in would negatively affect the fetus,An that its best because of my condition to continue taking pain meds until birth...Sooo Plz don't assume if a woman takes opiates that she's a bad mom!!!Theres a million conditions out there that cause for it and saying "even if her back was broke!!" Sweetie ya back was never broke so don't assume its easy to just not take meds cause your pregnant....What about the woman who has epilepsy, or cancer or sickle cell??? should all these women stop taking there meds cuz there pregnant and risk hurting the baby more???? Think B4 you speak hun cuz your comment is ignorant and dumb, especially since you havent actually been through anything like what im going through to know what its like OKAY BTW Spelling and punctuation may be off I am soo steamed I just sailed right thru this letter!!!!!!
I agree... people make mistakes its wat ur doing today that matters.. u can't change the pass but u do have controll over the future.... I'm a recoving addict believe me I understand tell ur friend to hang n there keep fighting nmw don't give up I'm proud of her and u for being a true and loyal friend
She does need to get honest its the only way to truely help her if she don't and they find the drugs they will take the baby .. if she can prove she's sober today shell b ok.. honesty is the best way♥♥♥♥
Be honest, don't hide it. Don't let some ashol who's never experienced addiction make u feel bad and make u hide from help. Opiates have little or no affect on fetus, that's why they're widely prescribed. Its the withdrawn. Also cocaine is very dangerous for preg, but opiates are not as long as vitamins, and nutrition are maintained.
JESUS CHRIST!!!  what is WRONG WITH U???  Have u ever had a broken back??? If she had ANYTHING broken how would she care for her children while in excrutiating pain?!?!?!?!?  It is MEDIOCALLY PROVEN that is is more dangerous for the mother and unborn baby to be under severe stress bc of PAIN that to take pain medication!!!  If u have no idea what u are talking about you really SHOULD NOT make rude comments to people!  And OBVIOUSLY she is trying to stop WHATEVER she was taking so why would u want to b a TRIGGER for her!?!?
i think come clean if mom detoxs while preg baby dexot inside mom life threatning to baby.come clean bcus they check all baby's now every 20 min for nas score they can tell if baby is dexotx they will give bebe morphine n slowly get them off safley
+.it takes about 3 weeks till baby gets out.if she is gonest sincerly sorry n concernd they will help her she'll prob take slasses n get off herself the safe way thru tthe drs.then she cab b there 4 her baby.otherwise if she doesnt come clean ask neh beg for help from her dr. tell her to imagine her first real bad dexox...now imagine you are 5lbs if you are lucky you cant eat everything hurts you cant be touched or held,all you can do is cry have liquid diharea...you cant eat...that is DEADLY for a newborn....bite the bullet talk straight up to your dr.come what my take whatever u have to as far aswhetevr you have to do,if you don't and god forbid the worse were to happen loosing youre baby would be the least of things like involentary mansluaghter...for beaing afraid to own up.jesus has already died for your sins dont be afraid step up!! you and your baby deserve it!!!~a maw-maw