Maternal & Child Community
How long do hormones remain after miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a D&C on September 13th for a missed miscarriage at 16 weeks.The baby had passed away 2 weeks earlier.
My question is, how long do the hormones of your last pregnancy stay in your system? I am already trying to conceive; (I know some people don't agree with this, but I KNOW for me it is right)I haven't taken a preg test yet, because I am only 1 week pregnant IF I even am pregnant.
But when I test next week (if my period doesn't come)I don't want to get excited about a BFP if theres a chance that it could be hormones from my lost pregnancy.
Does anyone have any info about this?
I had a D&C on March 23rd due to a miscarriage and when I went in for my 2 week post op appt, my levels were back normal.  So, you should be fine.  I know it takes longer for women who have natural miscarriages.  But a D&C should take care of everything.  Saying that, I do know some that have had to have a second D&C because everything wasn't cleaned out the first, but I don't think that is normal.  Good luck!
It differs from person to person.  Some peoples HCG levels go down very quickly and some do not.  Is your doctor going to monitor you until your go all the way down?  Sometimes people ovulate before their first period and some do not.  It just depends on you.  Sorry for your loss.
From what I understand, you can't get pregnant until the pregnancy hormes are 5 or less??  Mine took 5 weeks to get to less than 5 and the day after (last Saturday) my period came.
I don't know how long it actually took, but mine were down within a month.  I took a test about a month afterwards, because I was late for my period, and it was negetive.  It took about 7 weeks, though, for my period to come.  I think that it's diffrent for everyone.
I had a d&c on July 9 and still no af. I am just over 13 wks post, and I know I am not prg.
I'm sorry about your loss. I think everyone is different.  I had a missed miscarriage at 7 weeks on July 21st with a D&C.  I conceived my baby on August 10th never having gotten my period.  It wasn't planned, but we weren't trying to prevent it either.  I'm happily 10.5 weeks pregnant.  I've had two very positive ultrasounds.  Heartbeat is strong and healthy.  Good luck.  I'll say a few prayers for you.

Angela
I;d say you were far enough for your body to not ovulate for a couple of months. I was 12 weeks with mine and first cycle didn't O, and the next 2 haven't been lucky...i think the second cycle i had a chemical pg. though....Good luck to you!
Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate the comments.
And thanks to those who offered luck and prayers!

I know that I DID in fact ovulate because I was using OPKs. And I also can feel my ovulation with a sharp pain that causes me to cry out---so I am sure that I did ovulate.

So hopefully, given the fact that I ovulated, this means my body considered itself in a non-pregnant state already?
So hopefully this would also mean there aren't remaining hormones?
ALso, does anyone know if my hormone levels start dropping when the baby died (2 weeks before D&C) or only when D&C was performed?
hello everyone,i had a miscarriage on Dec 7,2007 then had unprotected sex on Dec 12,2007 trying to conceive as soon as possible..is it possible to get pregnant again after a 5 day miscarraige (miscarriage).? the reason i am asking is because right now i feel like my period is about to come and had very little cramps last night and feel very tired and sleepy and i go to the bathroom alot...please can anyone help i apreciated...thank you
CAN I FIND OUT IF I AM 2 WEEKS PREGNANT BY GOING TO THE DOCTOR AND GETTING A BLOOD TEST?