Maternal & Child Community
How many X-rays are too many

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How many X-rays are too many

I am 15 weeks pregnant.  Due to an abcessed tooth I need a root canal.  It is my top front tooth that is under a bridge.  The dentist did 1 x-ray to confirm this but told me I may need up to 10 more to get this work done.

Is this an excessive amount of x-rays for 1 root canal?
That sounds VERY excessive to me, and I used to work in a denist office! I can't think that 10 more X-rays would be necessary at all...especially since you're pregnant!
Wow, that's crazy! I had a root canal not to long ago and my dentist did one prior and one during to make sure he did everything. 10 is way too much!
My ob-gyn  was so unconcerned about my getting dental x-rays during pregnancy.  That lead apron thing was all he seemed to think was needed.  It might be that your dentist is milking the insurance or something -- I don't know if 10 is excessive or not -- but the x-rays aren't going to harm you.  Don't let it hold you off from getting the work done, you need to get anything bacterial out of your system if you are pregnant.  

ps --  If you want an honest estimate of how many x-rays are really needed, tell your dentist you're going to see his rival dentist across the street.  (LOL)  
wow - I didn't even let them do one xray during my routine cleaning.