Aa
A
A
Close
How many X-rays are too many
I am 15 weeks pregnant.  Due to an abcessed tooth I need a root canal.  It is my top front tooth that is under a bridge.  The dentist did 1 x-ray to confirm this but told me I may need up to 10 more to get this work done.

Is this an excessive amount of x-rays for 1 root canal?
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
177465 tn?1288242063
That sounds VERY excessive to me, and I used to work in a denist office! I can't think that 10 more X-rays would be necessary at all...especially since you're pregnant!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
274158 tn?1276350787
Wow, that's crazy! I had a root canal not to long ago and my dentist did one prior and one during to make sure he did everything. 10 is way too much!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
134578 tn?1463413330
My ob-gyn  was so unconcerned about my getting dental x-rays during pregnancy.  That lead apron thing was all he seemed to think was needed.  It might be that your dentist is milking the insurance or something -- I don't know if 10 is excessive or not -- but the x-rays aren't going to harm you.  Don't let it hold you off from getting the work done, you need to get anything bacterial out of your system if you are pregnant.  

ps --  If you want an honest estimate of how many x-rays are really needed, tell your dentist you're going to see his rival dentist across the street.  (LOL)  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
wow - I didn't even let them do one xray during my routine cleaning.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources