Maternal & Child Community
How many c-sections are dangerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How many c-sections are dangerous?

I am scheduled to have a c-section on 12-31-05.  This will be number 3.  I was talking to my doctor about birth control.  I was thinking about the copper IUD and then in about 4 years - having one more child.  
My doctor said that 4 c-sections would be dangerous and would be a health risk.  He said that if I was his wife he would have me tie my tubes.

What do you think?  Should I wait the 4 years and try again?  Or is it really that dangerous that I shouldn't have any more kids.
The risk is whatever you are willing to accept.  After 3 c/sections, there is some thinning of the uterine scar.  With each advancing pregnancy, the scar gets thinner and thinner.  

But--no one can tell you for sure how many is too many.  I've seen women having their 4th or 5th without problems.  I've also seen (as recently as last month) a woman who had only 1 previous section come in for a repeat section and she already had an opening in her scar (called a "window").  A window is not per se dangerous unless it widens or tears beyond the confines of the scar, but again--that can happen and no one can really predict it.  That is a catastrophe that could result in grave injury or death.

So--know that you are at higher risk of a uterine rupture that could be a harmless "window" or something more dangerous.  How much risk is what no one can tell you.  If you badly want more children, you might be willing to chance it.  If you are so so on the issue, you might not.  

Good luck to you.  You don't need to do anything permanent just yet--just be careful with the birth control until you decide if you really want another child.
Do you think that the longer you wait, the better the scar tissue can heal?  or... would it be the same if you have the baby one month later vs 5 years later?

I'm also thinking of getting the copper IUD.  Does anyone know anything about this or heard anything good/bad about it?

(thanks for all the comments)
Does the amount of time in between births contribute to the thiness of the uterine wall?  Say for example is there any difference between having c-section 1 year apart versus 4 years apart?  Does the uterus get thicker over time while not pregnant?
I am wondering because of my bicornuate uterus I have been advised to have another c-section (#2) and it will be almost 5 years since the first one. This is probably our last child but you never know!
Too funny, I was asking the same question as you, I too would also like to hear about others experiences with IUD's, I am also considering one.
Sorry to post here but the thread was closed below
I have never been there
they are small fishing villages about 1.5/2 hours away from
the capitol
Your doc said if you were his wife he would have your tubes tied?  Good thing you arent his wife.  What a shouvenist!
you probably don't know, since you're new, but it's against the rule to hijack a thread... normally, I wouldn't mention it but the moderators of this board are really watching and I would hate for you to get banned over something trivial... you might want to read the terms and conditions just to make sure you don't accidentally break one. some of them are pretty strict. no offense intended, of course.

Stacie
Which rule is that I just went and looked at them
which number does that refer to?
Here some of the most important rules that every one should read and commit to memory:

8.       Posting more than 2 new questions within a 6-month period, in forums (Public Areas) that are limited to the number of new questions accepted daily.  (i.e., Dental, Heart, Neurology, Respiratory Disorders, STD, etc.)

9.       Posting a question as a
Number 9 says posting a question to someone's comment I didnt post a question
I was commenting from newfie mommy's question
Same concept, it is still hijacking a thread. Just something to be aware of, since you are "new" I am sure you will be cut some slack.

Just so you are also aware, you have reached your thread limit as well rather quickly, so the rules state you need to wait for 6 months before opening a new thread for the day. But you are definitely still able to comment on posts.

I can't say again how nice it is to have new members finding their way here. A lot of the ladies here are real peaches, I am sure you will fit in just fine!

Andi
If everybody only posts 2 every 6 months there would hardly ever be any posts there wouldn't be enough members.  speaking of high jacking aren't we talking about c-sections here!
Sorry but i think we have all hijacked a thread at least once or twice, i know i have. I suggest you leave the monitoring to the monitors ladies. I'm sure if they want to talk to shedevil about it they will:)
Well if you scroll down others have posted more than twice in 6 months some twice in a matter of days
and i have seen through this page others talking on others threads thats why i thought it was okay to do so
PLEASE.......................................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how come nobody said anything yesterday about shedevils thread getting hyjacked?, it's not like she asked a totally different question, she tried to respond to a previous question that was asked of her. not a big deal
ok I have to ask..Why do you keep calling it the capital? I have never heard anyone refer to it as that...
WELL PUT!
You never heard of st john's reffered to as the capitol of newfoundland
All the time.. at least we do!

and thanks to other ladies  not sure of all the rules but wow
is this what everyone goes through to join?????
I think the # of questions rule applies to starting new threads, not commenting to ones that were already started. So, if you start an open forum, and then ask a question the next day, week, etc...then it's technically a violation of that rule. I don't think there's a limit to the amount of comments you post.
well said mimik. you couldn't say it better. thanks!!!!!!
nope...lol..have you always been in St. John's? I have been all over the island
Scared to comment now in case im using up my comments threads or whatever it is

So what about that Jaysienna girl she is on here several times?

Actually we have only been here a year!
It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion from another OB.
My DH and I plan on him getting a vasectomy instead of me getting my tubes tied, takes less time, less pain, and is cheaper.  It's also easier to reverse than a tubal ligation.  Food for thought if anything.
where were you before this?
Many people were not aware of the rules and Cindy just made an announcement reminding people they exist and that they need to be followed.

Again, there is no limits to commenting as long as it remains On Topic, which this clearly isn't. I am leaving it at that, and again if you have any questions, contact the owner of the website.

Andi

hey- i was just trying to be nice. i didn't want what happened to cin to happen to shedevil. I'd have said something yesterday, but I guess I wasn't paying attention. just been diagnosed with post partum depression so I'm a little "off" right now. sorry if anyone was offended, although I don't see how anyone could have been. thanks for jumping on me and making something out of nothing. anything else you'd like to bash on me about while you're at it? you can always count on you guys to make a gal feel welcomed. i really thought she didn't know about the rules Cindy is being diligent in enforcing now...
Well thanks stacie
I dont think anyone was bashing well i dont think so any way
but thanks for letting me know the rules
Just so many questions is this how every new person gets greeted?
Sorry your having post partum How old is your baby?
maybe i'm oversensitive then. anything is possible.

as far as questions go, i think everyone is just trying to get to know you.

my baby is almost 3 months old. he's perfect. :)

and to the original poster- I was told almost 11 years ago (after 2 c-sections) that if I ever got pregnant again I'd have to be on bedrest from 4 months on... I waited 10 years and had a baby recently with no trouble relating to my previous c-sections. i do think that your doctor is the only one that can give you an accurate picture of your uterine health though. especially if it's the doc who did your previous c-sections.

best of luck to you.

Stacie
last week that ordad guy opened like 6 new threads in a week - no one said anything to him
actually I have noticed "open forum"  thing is less than it used to be - but still aren't the rules for all?

as far as IUD - I'd say absolutley do not risk it.  If you are scared of your kids losing their mom from a csection!! my cousin died cause her IUD caused a rupture!   RIght after that they ran a big article in the paper that says the number of women hospitalized, killed or forced to have hysterectomies is ASTRONMONICAl  from IUD's.  It was really an interesting series - especially since it was my cousin's death that sparked it!  DEfinitely think twice!  I say no way!
Wow- I agree the MD's comment was highly inappropriate and very unprofessional. I hope he furnished you w/exact reasons as to why you must have another c-section w/ this pregnancy, if an alternate birth control method would make future pregnancy/deliveries less dangerous, and why he believes #4 would be dangerous. Ugh, again- tubes tied? He most certainly should've mentioned the easier, vasectomy and left "if u were my wife" **** out. I swear they sometimes forget how personal all this is to us,despite it being their 'every day job'. My recent visit w/ a NP included her commenting "oh, I usually only set aside 20mins for these appt. and we've gone over. I'm sure I've got other women wondering." I was blown away! Of course you always think of what to say once you've left.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have been coming here for a little over 2 years and I have not seen ANYONE get questioned like you have been.  There have been a few ppl on here who ppl have wondered about (myself included) but NEVER this many ????    It is a little ridiculous.  I can see why so many ppl leave this site and do NOT feel welcome.  Thank God I did not come in recently or I would have NEVER come back.  I was fortunate enough to come on when a great group of woman were on here but they are ALL gone now.  I am NOT happy with this board anymore.  I hope ppl start treating you a little better and I am sorry you are going thru this.   READ THE RULES PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!   I hope these ppl don't scare you away.  Take Care.
OMG....are you for real?? Seriously ANDI!! What is going on in your life that makes you feel like you need to control everyone here?? If the staff here has a problem with someone, Im sure they will let them know. As far as Im concerned, It is not your place to state the rules!! The entire 2 years Ive been coming here, you have been nothing but quick to judge. You talk about others, but you are the biggest rule breaker. But I guess thats ok, for you. You are always right........
I wouldn't want to leave my kids w. no mommy just becuz I wanted to have one more kid.
I want to find out all the information on this that I can before I make a decision.  

I guess I won't tie my tubes with this c-section.  But I am considering the copper IUD.  So far the only bad thing I heard was that pms cramping is much worse.
It is definately more dangerous to have another pregnancy very soon after the last, so far as scar maturity goes.  

Waterskigirl-I don't think there is much difference in one year vs. 4 years.  Your doctor should be the one to advise you, ultimately.  
I had the IUD in for just over a year and was fortunate in that my af symptoms were very mild even compared to before I had it. A significant number of women who get the Mirena IUD (the plastic one, good for 4-5 years) actually have a decrease in flow and milder PMS issues.

Definitely do some research. The success rate is very high, though it is not 100% effective (nothing but abstinence is)

Good luck!

Andi
I HAVE HEARD THAT IT IS DANGEROUS TO HAVE ANY MORE THAN 3 C-SECTIONS BUT I HAVE ALSO HEARD OF PEOPLE HAVING 4 AND EVEN 5 SO I WOULD HAVE THIS ONE COMING UP AND ENJOY YOUR LITTLE ONE FOR A WHILE AND THEN WHEN YOU ARE READY TO START TTC NUMBER 4 MAYBE SEAK A SECOND OPINION.
I have had  4 c-sections i am now preganant with my 5th my utrus almost ruputred with my last child my son was born 10 weeks early i am very scared has anyone had this happen
I had 2 previous sections which they said my uterus was thin, expected I guess. I had an IUD put in and it actually went through my uterus either from being thin and/or punctured when inserted. I had it removed with laporscopic surgery. I am pregnant again having another sectionin 6 weeks I am worried about the addittional scar tissue left by the IUD perferating and migrating. I say it's not worth the additional risk to your uterus a chance I would have not taken had I done more research. The price is too high in my experience.
Just thought I'd ad my 2 cents but I've had 3 c-sections and am ttc. #4  as far as I know if you heal fine and have no complications you can have 4 or 5 c-sections.