Maternal & Child Community
How soon after weaning from breastfeeding did you get AF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi all!  I have been pumping milk and giving it to my dd in a bottle since she was born.  I am in the process of weaning my body.  I am only pumping 3 times a day (about 8 hours between each session).  Today I decided to see how long I could go and possibly skip my late afternoon pumping.  I was able to make it until 8pm without any pain...12.5 hours woo hoo! (just discomfort from being so full)

Anyway, the reason I ask this question is because shortly after I finally did pump, I started to get pretty bad period cramps.  (Still have them 3 hours later) Is it possible to get AF before I have completely weaned?  

I guess to be on the safe side I should "expect" AF any time but I wouldn't think it would have come THIS quick.

Scary thought #2 is that I am pregnant!  Yikes!  My dd is only 3 months old.  :)

Thanks!
Amy
Mandy,
The only reason I suspected pregnancy was because when I became pregnant with my dd, I knew I was pregnant because I had period cramps BEFORE my AF...which never happened for me.  The cramps always had come after I had already started.  BUT, like you said, this is a whole different circumstance so I don't know what signs and symptoms to look for with AF when you are still breastfeeding and haven't had AF in many months.  

I hope that you find the answers you seek!  Have you tried taking a HPT?  I think it is very possible that you could be pregnant since we are supposidely more "fertile" after giving birth, but of course I can't say that for sure.  I'll be looking for an update from you!!

Sorry I don't have more answers or that this isn't written very well.  I have my squirmy dd on my lap and I think she's ready for her morning nap!  :)

Amy
hi amy yes it is deffinatly possible to be expecting your af seeing as how you have cut down your pumping its quite possible to get your af while breastfeeding even. you are lucky you havent received af as of yet because you were only pumping. they say the longer the baby is at the breast for during the day the more chance you have of not regaining your period why do you say you may be pregnant again please explain because i think you maybe in the same boat as me have you been getting cramping often cervical mucus anything?.I am currently breastfeeding my 8 week old baby and fear i may be pregnant aswell maybe i am being parinoid but some insight would be good heres my story if you dont already no i had a dd in june 2005 when she was 6 weeks old i fell pregnant with dd no 2 while i was breastfeeding no show of my period and on the mini pill they are less then a year apart anyway you think i would have learnt to become abstanent excuse the spelling well anyway once about a couple of weeks ago when dh and i were having some fun the condom fell of and yeah everything came out inside sorry if tmi.since then i have been getting af type cramps tired and have lots of different cervical mucus do you have any idea if you get thet when you fall pregnant or are expecting your first af ect i am baffaled cant find any info anywhere anyway enough of my dribble ha ha good luck to you and i am sure its just your af ready to say hi oh yeah i am breastfeeding aswell.
I have breastfed all three of my little ones & am still bf my 8 1/2 month old. I had my first period last month after she started sleeping in her own room & through the night. Your period certainly comes once the feedings are fewer apart. I too had cramping before, but my cramping was actually off & on for about a month or so before I actually had it. Now I've managed to miss my period so far this month & have had no cramping. I think your cycle can get messed up after having a baby & bf. You certainly are more fertile after having a baby. My first two are barely 18 months apart. I got pregnant a month or two after I stopped bf my son. Good luck to you!
hi amy yeah when i fell pregnant with dd no 2 i had all that cramping on and off and a bit of cm and i was breastfeeding thats the reason why i am so parinoid now as i am having exactly the same sypmtoms it may just be a coincidence i hope so i dont really need another baby right now with a 13 month old and a 7 week old they keep me extremely busy although whats meant to be is meant to be and i would welcome another baby with open arms yeah i will definatly keep you posted. how bout you has af showed up yet have you taken a hpt you must be on opissite timing to me as i noticed late last night when i checked site you said you were putting your dd down for her morning nap it was 10pm here i am in australia its so weired talking to all these ladies on the other side of the world you dont even relize good luck to you i hope you get what you want keep me posted see ya.
p.s i cant imagine the look on my obs face if i were pregnant again lol
you don'y need a period to get preggo
and it is very easy to get preggo while exclusively b/fing - a medical person should have told you that from the get go
(they do here at least!)
I didn't get a period at all after weaning - the docs had to give me meds to get it going
yeah i no all about that i fell pregnant with dd no 2 when i was exclusivly breastfeeding dd no 1 when she was 6 weeks old oh yeah i was also on the mini pill nobody back then really told me how easy it was to become pregnant post partum i never had my period either. well this time round i was using condoms when it slipped off now i have cramping like af all the time sore lower back tired do you think i am being parinoid theres are all the symptoms i had when fell preggo with dd no 2 do you no if these sypmtoms are common post partum and maybe it was a coincedence first time round?
Hi ladies!  My period type cramps that I was feeling have gone away with still no sign of AF.  I have not taken a pregnancy test yet because, honestly, I'm afraid it's going to be positive.  :)  I also don't want to make a special trip to the grocery store for JUST an HPT.  I will keep you posted though when I do get the nerve to test.  eeeeeek!
good luck to you i hope it turns out as you planned keep me updated i do think you should make that special trip but as its a pretty big sorta thing good luck.
HI!!  I tested tonight and it was NEGATIVE!  It's ironic most women on this sight would be devastated to get a BFN but it was a huge relief for DH and I.  Although we are looking forward to having more children...in the FUTURE...this would have been overwhelming!  I did not test with my FMU, but with the "symptoms" I thought I was having I'm pretty sure it would have been an immediate positive if I was.  WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

Have you tested yet?  Are you still feeling preg. symptoms too?

Amy