Maternal & Child Community
Hyperthyroid Post Partum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hyperthyroid Post Partum

Well while I was pregnant with Lilith my Graves' Disease fell into check for the first time in 3-4 years.  Lately since she's been born I've noticed some odd things that had me concerned then realized they were symptoms of my disease all over again.  Night sweats (I wake up from even a nap --- in a cool room --- drenched!) and fatigue (I sleep as much as Lilith does... and would sleep more if I could.)

Could these be a problem with something else?  Anyone else have these issues PP?
I have been sweating like a pig since my son was born on the 20th. I do have thyroid disease but I feel fine other wise. I know when my thyroid is out of wack.
So I think the sweating and being warm all the time is just hormones... also could be from nursing all the live long day....it does burn calories...so could be like a work out.
As far as the sleep thing....I think thats normal...its tiring having a newborn.

If your concerned go to your doc and have them check your TSH.
I just had mine checked and it's in normal range.
I'm waiting on a ride to get blood work done.  Kinda considered restarting my PTU just to see if it helps, because if my GD is bad again then it will effect my milk supply too.  My emotions are totally out of control as well, wondering if perhaps it is just PP stuff, but not sure.  I need to get a new family doc and endo as well.
Its not at all uncommon for thyroid problems to worsen or even present for the first time in the postpartum period.  

But, it also could just be from the normal physiologic changes after childbirth.  If you are concerned, get your thyroid checked to be sure.
My thyroid was first HYPERTHYROID,which was discovered at my 6 week checkup after my 2nd child.  I was told it was very common to FLIP to HYPOTHYROID, which it did.  I wish it stayed as HYPERTHYROID, I lost all my baby weight (and then some) within weeks of delivery, I had sooooo much energy.  (I had a NEWBORN BABY, a 1-1/2 year old, my house was SPOTLESS, when the babies napped, I was outside "picking stones" from our 1 acre yard, it was a new house, and they were going to sod it; and believe it or not, when my son was 1 month old, I was sooooo bored that I started an online course for real estate sales. )  When my thyroid flipped to Hypo, I put on  alot of  weight, I was EXHAUSTED, and I could hardly stand the thought of waking up and looking after my 2 babies, let alone all the other stuff I had been doing.  
Anyways, you should get your thyroid levels checked via blood work ASAP.  If they are out of whack, they can cause some serious problems.
I am now on Meds for mine , and will be for the rest of my life.
That's what I've been worried about the last few years.  With being Hyper and having Graves' Disease, everyone told me to have my thyroid destroyed (RAI) but then I would be on medication for the rest of my life... but if it doesn't stop then I will be anyway.  And its so much harder to conceive with thyroid issues as well.
Definitely have it checked because sweating is perfectly normal post partum but as you know, a sign of thyroid problems.
Definitely have it checked because sweating is perfectly normal post partum but as you know, a sign of thyroid problems. My DH had his removed with radiation years ago.
I don't think there is an issue conceiving with thyroid problems that are being monitored and medicated, but then again my husband and I "SHARED A BAR OF SOAP" and SURPRISE.....I was pregnant!!!! LOL LOL LOL  
LOL because of my thyroid it took 4 years to conceive Lilith and it was at a follow up check for my thyroid (I wasn't being treated, just had moved to a new state), that I get "surprise! your pregnant!"  lol  - We tell the kids it happened from across the room as a joke.
We told my DAD that we shared a bar of soap....I am the typical DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL!!!! LOL  wouldn't want him to know that I am not a virgin anymore!!!   I've been married for 10 years.  (He was shocked when he came to the hospital to see me, and my name was changed to my dh's...he thought I was gonna keep my maiden name!)
LOL after 10 years?  I remember the first time I saw my dad after my wedding he asked what my new name was immediately!  It was just my kids we told it happened from across the room, of course they knew better (Mom had given them sex ed classes and so had the school system).
I was diganosed with hyperthyrodism 7 yrs. ago. I had radioactive iodine done on my thyroid, It will have to take thyoid meds. the rest of my life...and I am now HYPO. With hyperthyrodism they usually cannot just treat it with meds, usually it ends up being removed or radioactive iodine.

As far as infertility with thyroid disease..as long as you are taking your meds and levels are normal there is no reason someone cannot conceive. I conceived with both of my sons the very first month we tired LITERALLY. I have never had a miscarriage and have had 2 healthy pregnancies. And I'm no spring chicken I'm 34 going on 35.

But because thyroid diesease is SO overlooked you have to be your own "doctor" so to say...meaning you have to be the one to make sure your levels are getting checked constantly...yes it can affect breastfeeding... and yes DURING pregnancy it can affect the fetus.
I have NEVER had a doctor who poo pooed me when I asked them to check my levels.

I will say when I switched form Synthroid to Armour thyroid (this is a natural form) I did WAY better. I dont have weight problems 120 pre pregnancy gained 25 during pregnancy.
I HIGHLY Recommend Armour thyroid to anyone who is HYPOTHyroid
I am going to ask my doctor about that at my next check up!  I have heard that NATURAL is a MUCH better choice!  Thanks for posting the name.
Wow!  Thank you on that info on Armour Thyroid Tomel!  

I've put off the RAI because of the negativity associated with it.  Especially since with my disease it isn't the thyroid that is the issue so much as my immune system.