Maternal & Child Community
I am 37 weeks and I went to the Doctor today!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

He checked me and i have not dilated any why?? I have heard that you dilate for a couple of weeks before labor?!!? I was wondering what are some early sighs of labor? Like how will i feel and what will i feel?
i cannot tell you how labour will feel like because I havent been there yet. I don;t know if this helps but aboutthe fact that you are not dialated. You may be one of the women that may not ever dialate or will have to be in labour or may dialate a little and not more than like 3 or so. I hope that kinda helps. What did you doctor tell you?
At 37 weeks it is not uncommon to not have any dilation.  Don't worry!!  Things can happen very quickly; you'd be surprised.
Just bec you have not dialated is no big thing really, first timers sometimes dont start to dialate until they go into labor,dont worry it will happen, and no sugar coating it, it is PAINFULL, it starts out as annoying tummy tighting nothing really then pregresses you should lose you mucus plug the more you dialate, you might have some spotting also all perfectly normal. good luck
All he said was that it has not opened up just yet? what does that mean she didnt says anythng but about the heart and it was 160!!!! I am just confused, i had to see different doc to day b/c my doc was on call. I have to go to the doc every week i have to go right back monday!!!lol Its so tiring
Hi, with my 3 pregnancys, i never dilated untill i was in labour, which was induced for the last 2 all at 42 wks!
Even then it was 1-2cms for about 24 hours or so and then dilation started when they broke my waters.
I wouldnt worry, i thought that was normal?
Good luck!
Sorry he didnt says anything My OB Doc is FEMALE LOL
and its not uncommon for you to NOT lose your mucous plug.  

You'll know when you go into labor.  Your stomach will feel tight when you begin contracting.  just keep an eye on how close the contractions come IF they come.  

I'm about as far along as you are... I can relate to wanting to be dilated and labor to start.  good luck!
I don't think it means much whether you're dilated or not at 37 weeks.  My friend had her 37 week checkup and was four centimeters and still didn't have her baby for another two weeks.  I just had my 37 week appt last thursday, dr said I was two centimeters and 75% effaced, and nothing seems to be happening for me, either.
2cm whats that is that like where the doc can only get 2 fingers in there? B/C thats right all he could get in was 2 fingers!!! Well i will keep you guys posted. My cosin had her baby in june and she was 37 weeks and 2days she said she woke up with cramping and went to the doc and then she went in labor she said she didnt dialate any!!! Until she got to the doc and her water broke.
i wondered the same thing with my dd, on how i would feel, i wanted to know so i would definatly make it to the hospital, TRUST me you will know when it gets here, its hard to explain until youve been through it, but labor is real when you cant walk or talk while having  a contraction and they are 2-3 mins apart for an hour, well at least that was what the hospital told me after going in multiple times with false labor! and i was 2-3 cm for weeks before delivery, but a friend of mine went over a week and a half with her first baby, and didnt dialate until they induced her.... good luck!
i am 36 wks and went to the dr yesterday, they checked me and said i wasn't dialted any but my cervix was thinning out. and that's a plus. i can't wait! Atleast we can look at it like this ladies, we don't have to much longer!! a month at the most! Keep that in mind!!!!!!!
good luck to all!
When i went for my 36 wk checkup, My cervix hadn't even dropped down.  Then, at my 38 wk check-up, i was 2 cm dilated.  I ended up being enduced three days later..but in that 3 days i dilated another 1 1/2 cm.  It takes time. Don't panic yet.
With my first, I did not dilate until right before labour started. The ob told me I would be overdue,she was born on my due date.  With my ds I was 3 cm at 37 weeks.  Everyone thought I was going to go early and he came a week late!  They come when they are good and ready and there's not much you can do about it.
Oh Honey!!! Dont be upset! Everyone women, Every Pregnancy, Every Labor is different! You do not nessecirally have to start Dialating weeks before...some women do and some dont! I wish you all the best in a healthy and happy Labor and BABY!!!! =)