Maternal & Child Community
I have a tear in my placenta

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have a tear in my placenta

I am 6 weeks and we saw our baby's heartbeat on Wednesday the 21st. Today after lifting my daughter I felt a sharp pain and about 5 minutes later started bleeding heavily. I though I was miscarring and called my doctor. She had me come in right away and they did another ultrsound and found that I had a tear in my placenta. That baby was fine and doubled in size since Wed (4mm to 8mm) Good news! She said it would most likley repair itself and put me on bedrest for 2 weeks. No more work, since my job is as a driver with UPS. Has anyone else experienced something like this? And what was your outcome?
Thank You!
I have had a tear in my placenta with two pregnancies. The first time, the tear got to as large as 10cm and the second time it was less- around 4cm. I was in the hospital on bedrest too for both pregnancies for a few weeks at a time. Both the babies were fine, the one with the larger tear in the placenta ended up being quite small at birth (looked like a preemie at full term) and he remains smaller in over all size today, but totally fine otherwise. I was also given shots to mature the lungs when I was around 28 weeks in case he were to be born early. It was really important for me to be careful when not on bedrest to really limit the amount of work, lifting, movement, etc. They did tell me it was serious enough of a situation where if there was a complete tear of the placenta (off the wall) that the baby and I both would be in danger. However, that never happened and everything was fine, but I did have to treat it seriously and be really careful. All the best, I am sure your pregnancy will turn out fine:)
Sorry, I also meant to add--both times, the tear partially repaired itself with bed rest.
Waitingwithhope,
Thank you for sharing your story.. It will be quite diffacult not to lift since my job and daughter depend on it. (she is disabled and in a wheelchair)but I do have good support. Thanks Again.
Take the bed rest very serious! I had a small separation of the placenta from the wall, very similar to a tear. I started spotting and was put on bed rest. I went into the office for an hr the next am just to clear my desk, no lifting or stressful work. Just wanted the work only I know whats going on to be done. Dr said I could be out of work for some time. I lost the baby just a couple of hrs later. If I could go back and obey drs orders, I would.
thanks for sharing your stories, ladies!!! i do not have anything like that, thank God, but i have been lifting regularly and not worrying about it. i'm a preschool teacher, so some lifting is inavoidable. but i'm going to start being more careful, and ask the kids to not hang on me so much!!!!
I lost part of the placenta at 8 weeks with bright red bleeding and thought that was the beginning of the end. But all turned out well, even without bed rest. My son was 9 lbs at birth. During prenatal check-ups my doctor had called him "the survivor". I moved at 36 weeks and lifted really heavy items. By that time the pregnancy was really stabilized. Wishing the same to you.
I am 13 weeks pregnant with a 1 year old I also have a tear in my placenta. It has been so hard not to lift my daughter and she just doesn't understand why mommy can't hold her.
when i was preg with my daughter. I bleed from when i was 3 weeks preg to 9 months i had subcoreonic hemrigaging {i dont kn ow how to spell it} it was kinda like that the sack my daughter was in was opened 5 center meters wide and i bleed alot. I was on bed rest for 9 months and my out come was good. In my case it never healed it self i just had to stay in bed and i did.
hi everyone im 8 weeks pregnant. On december 13th i went to the hospitle i had spotting and they sent me home and i returned the next day for ultersound and they said the baby was fine and that i was 6weeks and 5days and than on the 26 of december i had the same thing some spotting and went to the hospitle and i told them that i was constipated and straining to go and the doctor said that that was the reason i was spotting so they sent me home and to come back tomorrow for ultersound. Had the ultersound and now they said that i have a tear in my placenta im so scared!!! So the doctor said to follow up with my doctor but my baby doctor is still on hoildays until the 5th of jan. So i dont know what to do i dont want to lose my baby i already lose a baby in august :( I was wondering if someone could help???
i am 7 weeks pregnant i have a tear in the placenta 1 cm do u think im going to lose my baby
my friend just had a stillborn she was almost 7 months i watched her push her baby out, the baby came out still in the water bag and everything. she just woke up one day and was cramping real bad her leg became numb but before that day she told her doc. that she had been cramping a little he told her it was normal.while she was at home she had no bleeding it wasnt until she got to the hospital when they told her to give an urine sample in when she had a large amount of blood, but she stated that while she was waiting in the er she felt the baby moving so within a 10-15 minute period her placenta attached. she said a couple of days before that that she moving her funiture around so that could have been the reason the docs kept asking her if she had been in a fight or had she been taking any street drugs never once did they ask her if she was moving or lifting sum heavy.she was high risk cause with her first baby she had high pressure and delivered at 8 mon.the doc should have known that she was high risk and didnt keep and close eye.
My placenta tore at 8 weeks.  I was told to go on bed rest until it healed.  Every week I was checked . . . 5 weeks later I was released from bedrest and had to take it easy for the remainder of the pregnancy.  My daughter was born early but weighed in at 7 lbs 6 oz.  I recommend COMPLETE bedrest . . . I did nothing except get up and go the restroom, a shower once a week, and go to the doctor appt.  All my meals were made for me and brought to my room (my husband left a cooler with food in it on days no one could visit)  It was a tough thing to do as you often laid there worrying but it is well worth the outcome later.  She is now turning 14 tomorrow - is athletic, smart, and amazing.  The worry, tears and prayer were worth every minute - you should see her now!
This happened with my first son and i was 13 weeks along the outcome was good he is now 7 yrs old and health as can be but a week ago i delivered my 3rd son he was still born due to i had a tear at 18 weeks a very small one they said it would heal its self was put on bedrest went back in a few days later they said the baby was good and everything was fine whell my next appointment i had an ultra sound and my baby had no heartbeat he had died at 20 weeks where the placent tore was behind his cord and it developed a clot and cut everything to him off so please becarful of this
I am so happy hearing mostly good comments about this subject. I had an ultrasound on Tuesday, and I am 7 weeks pregnant they said there was a tear in the placenta and that I would most likely lose the baby. I asked how big the tear was, she said it wasnt big, but it mostly resulted in miscarriages. I dn't believe her. I have been on bed rest, even though the doctor said that nohting I did was going to help it! I am so mad, hearing all these good outcomes. I am going to continue with bed rest
Well, I have a tear as well.  I had heavy cramping and bleeding (red blood) so since it was the weekend,  I called the labor and delivery center at UCLA and they told me I was "probably having a miscarriage."   Listen, I have a 15 month old little girl, and that pregnancy was full of drama, this was NOTHING!  So I got off the phone with her quick, and just relaxed.   She said, if I saturate more then 1 pad, then come in.   Well, I didn't.  So I stayed in bed until I could see my lovely doctor during the week.   She checked the babe, and the babe is fabulous, and then she said I have a tear.   Bed rest, no lifting (no lifting my 15 month old, no housework, no groceries, NOTHING).  She NEVER said a thing about losing this baby, and she's a perinatologist, high risk doctor.   I would take her word over anyone's considering all she does is high risk pregnancies like mine. I have type 1 diabetes as well.   So, to all you expecting mommies to be out there DON'T STRESS!   There is nothing you can accomplish by putting yourself through that emotional rollercoaster.  Just rest, relax, and have the husband or a friend help you out for a month or so. And remember this can be caused by constipation as well, so you need to be sure and load up with fiber so you will not need to force yourself to make a p**p. :)  Also, request to be re-checked in 1 week.   There is NO REASON why the doctor should not follow up with you to make sure the tear isn't getting bigger.   I'm going back to the doctor in 7 days for another ultra-sound check.   This is your body, your baby, and your health!  You pay for the doctor, the insurance, the visits - so you tell them what you need to put your mind at ease.   If another ultra sound to check up will help you, then do it.  For gods sake there is a tear in the placenta, it's not as if you're just looking to see how cute the baby is?  Or are you?  :)

Mommy of a 15 month old, and 11 weeks in gestation with a lima bean.
i just left the hospital. i am @ 9 weeks into my second pregnancy (my daughter is 4) i had heavy bleeding and cramping. they told me that i had a tear in the placenta @ 1cm. i am hoping that with all of the advise, prayer and bed rest it will heal and turn out fine. so relieved to know that its more common that i thought and that it has good outcomes. thank you everyone for sharing and putting my mind at ease until i can see my doc monday
i saw my doc today. i was surprised that he didn't another ultrasound. he said it wasn't necessary since the heartbeat was established saturday. he did a pelvic exam and at the time i was barely spotting compared to the heavy bleeding i experienced saturday. he ordered me to strict bed rest and by the time i got home i started bleeding heavy again (not real heavy, but like a heavy period) i thought it was stopping. anyone else experience this? i was just getting my hopes up when i thought the bleeding was slowing down
iam 18 weeks pregnant with my four baby and been in hospital with a tear in my placenta i have been told if i move around to much i can go into labour any day so iam on bed rest going crazy but trying to keep this baby where is should be iam glad there is so many good stories out there to keep me going so another 4 months of bed rest to go
I am now 15 weeks 5 days. At 13 weeks 5 days i was watching a basketball game with my husband and all of a sudden my lower abdomen started hurting with a very intense sharp pain, Three minutes later it felt as if my water had broken and when i looked down it was blood! I stood up and walked to the bathroom pouring out blood, It was VERY scary. I went to the ER and they said i had a small tear in my placenta and that it had left behind a blood clot, and that was why i was bleeding, Well during the ultrasound that night in the ER they also said that i had pregnancy fibroids. They didnt tell me where the fibroiud were, just that they often cause miscarages. They gave me some vicodin and told me to go on bed rest for 4 days. The heavy intense bleeding stopped by the end of the next day. They have done two ultrasounds since (in the past 2 weeks) and say the baby looks great. I'm just scared that this will cause future complications during the later stages of this pregnancy. This is my Second Pregnancy. I have a daughter who is only 8 months, And im already about 16 weeks! Is this the reason? Because i had gotten pregnant so early after my last? I'm just really scared because i have a stepson as well who is 5 years old, and my husband, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to not, lift, and continue with viqorous movement and strain throughout the day. Does anyone have any advice oe similar previous experience? Please let me know. My email is ***@**** if anyone can help. IT WOULD BE REALLY APPRECIATED
What ever happened, I'm having this problem now and I noticed this comment was written back in 2010. Could you please let me know what ever happened in your situation
my daughter was 12 weeks when she started spotting, took her to er and they found a small tear in her placenta and told her to follow up with her OB, I asked if she should go to work later that day and he said there was no reason for her not to. She called the ob and was scheduled for appointment 1 week and 1 day later. One week later she started spotting again and had stomach cramps, she called her ob and they told her to take gas x and if that didn't help to go to er. I took her to er, they checked her and stated that there was slight spotting and that they would do another ultrasound to check on baby. during the ultrasound the tech decided to do transvaginal us, because "she would feel better". after the transvaginal my daughter notice her bleeding was heavier and asked the tech if that was normal the tech told her yes. when she got back to the room and back into the bed she felt she needed to wipe and there was a lot of blood and fluid. The doctor told her she was actively losing the baby. she lost her baby 3.5 hours later. ob told her the next day that from the reports she got from the hospital that she didn't understand why the baby was lost!!!!!!! very upsetting! I wish she or I had read these posts as soon as there was problem. Right now i just feel there were a lot of incompedant medical personel involved.
I had some spoting at 19 weeks.  Doctor checked and said I had previa.  But didn't advice me bedrest.  So I kept on my feet and doing normal routine stuff.  Bleeding got heavier, so I went for a second opinion and my first doctor discharged me for having a second opinion.  But by that time it was too late, even though my daughter had heartbeet at 22 weeks the fluid was gone.  And aprently it was a placenta abruption and not a previa I was experincing.  So my high risk doctor had to induce me to save me but I lost my girl at 23 weeks.  If my first doctor had cared and told me to keep off my feet, my baby girl will be here today.
Hey I'm 17weeks and 5 days. A week ago I went into emerge due to pains in my stomach. After an ultrasound dr found blood behind my placent and a small tear. I'm now on bed rest, though its hard with a 3 and 6 year old at home. Babys moving a lot lately and heartbeats strong ( have a doppler at home so check a lot) hoping this baby makes it since it took 2 year to conceive. Any tips on what to do to help baby survive? I'm taking vitamin e pills because I heard it helps heal the placenta.
I am 16 years old and was 7 months prenant when I loosed my baby because of a detached and bleeding placenta that was never detected by my doctors although I complained of low abdominal pains. Could this have been prevented if my doctors took my complaints seriously?
Thank you so much for asking this question. I am in the exact situation. Love u ladies!!!