INTRAVENTICULAR HEMMORAGE W/ HYDROCEPELUS
I HAVE A FOUR MONTH OLD THAT WAS BORN THREE MONTHS EARLY.SHE HAD A GRD.4 INTRAVENTICULAR HEMMORAGE ALOND WITH HYDROCEPLEUS.SHE HAD A SHUNT PLACED AT TWO MONTHS,EVERYTHING WAS FINE AT HOME THEN SHE WASN'T HERSELF AND WE FOUND THAT THE SHUNT WAS INFECTED.SHE HAD IT REMOVED AND HAS BEEN HOSPITAL BOUND SINCE.IT BEEN ABOUT THREE WEEEKS AND NOW HER VENTRICLES DON'T HAVE FLUID TO REPLACE THE SHUNT.I JUST REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT ARE THE RISKS INVOLVED WITH THIS ORDEAL? WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM POSSIBILIES? WHEN SHOLD I START SEEING CHANGES IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG?
Hi.  I am sorry to say that I do not know anything about your situation, but wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you, your daughter and your family.  I hope that she continues to improve and that everything works out for all of you.  You will be in my prayers.
This would be a good question to post to the board for patients and Dr.s (not this patient-patient board).  Hope everything smoothes out and your healthy baby comes home soon.
My eldest son was born 8 weeks early and had a ventricular hemorrage and hydrocephalus, he had his shunt fitted at 3 months old. We have been very lucky that his shunt has been fine since.
So I am correct in thinking they removed the infected shunt but have not put a new one in yet? Is she on antibiotics? If so it may be that the infection needs to clear before they will put in a new shunt.

http://www.asbah.org/

is a great site with lots of info.

My son is 3 now and although he has some developmental delays he is doing great!

Best wishes.
My son also was born with hydro. (he wasn't early, he has spina bifida). He will be 2 next week and he has had his shunt malfunction 4 times, but thanfully it has never gotten infected. Our neuro has talked to us about infection and told us that depending on how bad the infection was, the longer they have to be in the hospital. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what they told us is that they have to stay in the hospital and have some sort of tube or something to drain the fluid till the infection is gone. Is that kinda what she has? I guess the head has to stay open for it to drain? And then once everything is drained and the infection is gone another shunt can be placed again. Again, like I said, I don't know a lot about the infection part. Our neuro just briefly talked with us about it.
What is the neuro telling you? In our experiance they don't offer a lot of information to us, so we have to ask A LOT of questions and keep asking untill we understand. If your neuro is doing that with you, just keep asking untill you understand everything. Unfortunatly our neuro is more like a robot. He is brilliant, but treats us like we are just cases, not actually people.
I'm so sorry you all are going through this! I have heard how scary infections can get! Please keep me updated with how she is doing. and you can email me anytime if you need somebody to talk to.

***@****