Maternal & Child Community
IVF, Birth Control, Spotting Question; Open Forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi everyone. hope you're enjoying your long weekend!! Well i woke up this morning with spotting - quite a decent amount. i was told that after stopping the birth control last week (last one i took was wednesday night - i only took it from friday night to wednesday night, one in a.m. and one in p.m.) that it's possible i'd spot and not to get alarmed. so i've been waiting for spotting and nothing until this a.m. - and it's 4 full days after stopping the bc. does it make sense that it would start so many  days after stopping? does anyone have any idea about how long it normally lasts? i'd appreciate any info i could get. thank you.

feel free to use as an open forum.
Hello again!

Okay for me when I had 2nd IVF I too was put on BC I freaked when I started to bleed.  I started on a Friday didn't have an appointment until Tuesday!  I called the Dr. on call and was told it's OK and most not all get there AF it's just a little longer process!  I was very confused.  They explained it but I still don't get it but I still went for ultra sounds and the follicles still grew a total of 22 in fact!!
Now the amount of days I bled was only maybe 2 and half to 3 days tops and it started full flow and petered out after.
Hope this helps alittle
thanks so much for the info. it definitely helps and calms me down a bit. i think i'm going to call dr. in a.m. anyway though just to let them know what's going on. i'm supposed to go in friday a.m. after 4 days of follistim - would rather speak to them about this before then. my dr. did tell me not to be alarmed if spotting, but this is not spotting anymore. it's now more like a regular period - even feels like a period - a little crampy. so it sounds like you're telling me that getting your af (again) doesn't deter the ivf process follicles still grow and everything - is this correct? i hope it's not a problem with taking the follistim - i took my first dose tonight - i was so nervous i couldn't get my hand to put the darn needle in, but once i finally did it really wasn't so bad - didn't hurt going in or anything - just once out had a drop of blood and a little redness around and drop of burning so then of course i freaked - i got so nervous about infection....even though i alcoholed. i called a friend of mine who went through this she told me not to worry about little blood and redness - may even bruise. i asked her about the period business and she said i should call dr. to double check. she never got a period in between birth control and meds, maybe some spotting but never full period. thanks again though for letting me know your experience.