Maternal & Child Community
If you have PCOS or know a lot about it, please read.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi!
I just recently (last week) had my 2nd mc, so now I'm in a stage of searching for answers...  I've read up a lot on PCOS, but I would like to hear your symptoms or any information you have on it.   Besides having tests done at the dr's office, what are some signs you might have the syndrome?  Do always have irregular periods and trouble getting pregnant?  Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for your loss. I had a m/c feb 06 at 7 weeks it was hard. I also have pcos which I found out after trying for a  baby. At first the doctors told me getting pregnant would be easy it would take maybe 3 months. Well after 6 months of trying I went for some tests  and they found out I had pcos. The funny thing was my periods were pretty normal. My doctor told me some signs were hair loss which in my grade 12  my hair started felling out and being over weight, hair growth on your chin is also a sign. We tried lots of things to become pregnant after 2 years of trying I give up and stopped everything (clomid, docs) a month later we were pregnant  Seth is 2 years old.  For our 2nd I took clomid because it wasen't happening fast enough thats when I m/c 2 months later I was pregnant with Logan who is 8 months. Crazy I know but now we are trying for baby number 3 I finished clomid last week today is the day. All I can tell you is hang in there and try to relax I know how hard that is but it worked for us I wish you all the luck. Marci
I was diagnosed with PCOS after my 2nd child.  We were trying to get pregnant with our 3rd and my cycles were so irregular.  I had depression, weight gain in the belly region, discoloration in my arm pits, acne and infertility.  Apparently I've always had it, but my 2nd pregnancy brought it out.  I'm sorry about your loss.  I had a miscarriage 2 months ago.  I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant.  After I went on Metformin (glucophage), my cycles started getting regular and I've lost 24 lbs!  My OB/GYN contributes my improvement to losing weight and taking met every day.  So, I have no acne, no depression, and a shrinking belly....for now!
to diagnose pcos you need 2 of the 3 following symptoms:  history of irregular cycles, ultrasound evidence of numerous follicles on ovaries (a certain number and size, i.e. "string of pearls") and hirsutism.  There are other symptoms, such as infertility, difficulty losing weight, etc but these three are the ones used to diagnose.  There is no "test" for pcos that gives you a yes or no you have or don't have it answer.  If you have had 2 m/c have they also tested you for clotting factors?  
I haven't done any tests yet. I'm going to see my dr on the 20th, but I can't stop obsessing about it.  I've already went through every possible cause.  I started suspecting PCOS, because after I had my daughter, I started getting all this acne.  I've never had breakouts before...well, when I was 17, but I'm 25 now, my face has been clear for a looong time.  I also remember having horrible hair loss when I was about 18.   I don't know what it was, but it was coming out in large amounts, I've never seen anything like that.  But my cycles are very regular, 28 days, never late...so maybe it's something else.  Another thing is that I developed depression...I know it might have been post partum, it started when I weaned my daughter exactly a year after she was born.  I was put on antidepressants, but that's a whole big ordeal in itself.  I'm just so lost, I mean I want to know what the heck is wrong with my body that it can't keep a baby.  Thank you guys so much for replying.
You should ask your doc to test for clotting factors and there are others like thyroid antibody tests they can/will do.  There is a whole panel of tests they do usually after 3 m/c but more recently after two m/c. Your symptoms don't really sound like pcos to me but perhaps maybe(??) a thyroid problem (I'm not a doctor though!!) or just the normal problems we all encounter.  If your cycles are very regular I would highly doubt pcos.  Also, m/c is very very common although when it is happening to you, you feel like the only one (I know - I also had two) .  Your doctor should help you through this and have some suggestions even if the tests are inconclusive as mine were.  
PCOS isn't a textbook diagnosis.  I've never missed a period (except when pg) in my life and have always been regular until I started ttc.  I've had 4 mc in the last 2 years and was diagnosed with PCOS after my 2nd last June.  I didn't think I fit the bill for it either as I ovulate on my own and don't have great hair loss issues or hirutism or those types of things.  However, I do know I get cysts from time to time - I now realize I get them much more often than I realized....  But one of the biggest issues with PCOS is insulin resistance.  You need to have your insulin levels checked, even if your glocuse levels are normal!!  I have had pre-diabetes for the past several years, but when I went to my RE for the first time to start my tests my insulin levels came up high - really high.  Like 31 and they should be under 17.  I am now on my second RE (just for change of pace and to get another opinion) and both have now put the majority of the emphasis on my insulin levels.  I was put on metformin after my 3rd mc (should have gone after 2nd, but that was my doing....) and stopped it when I found out I was pg per my RE's instruction.  Metformin is a class B drug, so some say stop some say continue.  I lost that pg after 8 weeks - the farthest I've made it to date.   I started the metformin again in April and I am hoping to start ttc again in the next few months and will not stop the metformin this time until at least my 2nd trimester (god willing I will get that far!!).  I've had my insulin levels checked in August and they are done to 22 - 9 points in a year....not too bad.  Still higher than I wanted to hear - especially after busting my butt to loss 30 pounds since my last pg and working out 5 days a week and eating right.  My RE says "game on" - anytime we want to start trying again is fine with him even though my levels are still high - he says I'm doing everything I can to make things better so he is fine with us trying.  I'm really hoping that staying on the metformin next time does the trick, but nothing is a guarantee.  

So...long story short.....make sure they check your fasting insulin levels if you think you have pcos.  If you are going to an RE (which I recommend you do....) they will test you for everything under the sun and hopefully will find something definitive that is causing your mc's - trust me, being in the "unknown" group is a bummer and I really wish I could pin point what is causing my mc's.  At least I am hopeful next time the metformin will help.  Good luck to you!