Maternal & Child Community
I'm 16pdo and my hcg level is only 19 what does this mean? i'...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm 16pdo and my hcg level is only 19 what does this mean? i've had several positive hpt

i am between 15 and 16dpo and i have done about 8 pregnancy tests all showing positive - however i had my bloods done at hospital today and my hcg level is only 19 they say that cant be a pregnancy.. yet i done another hpt and it was positive

is 19 to low or could i still be pregnant

please help
I think anything over 5mlu is considered positive for pregnancy. The important thing is that the number doubles in a 3 day span. Your dr should've scheduled another blood draw to check your hcg levels and confirm that they are doubling. Good luck. :)

PS
What kind of hpts are you using that detected pregnancy with a hcg level under 25mlu? That's awesome.
Hi, thanks for reply

hospital didnt arrange another appointment they say they dont take it seriously if its below 25mlu so i dont know what this means

they said if i still believe i could be pregnant to do a test myself in a week or so

first response, clear blue, clear blue digital, 2 from pound shop... everyone i tried

i have no idea if i'm pregnant or losing this baby the hospital were of very little help

thanks for reply
first response is very good at detecting levels as low as 6. The concearn I have is that you had a positive digital, those are a little less sensitive, usually at at least 25 sensativity. I would have your Dr. order another blood draw in 2 days. It should double every 48 hours in this stage. Good luck to you, I hope all turns out well, please keep us posted.
yeah

thing is i got my blood results today around 2.30 and come home and done a clearblue test and it still came up positive

the hospital says they are takin no further action but in 7days i should see my gp if i still think i could be pregnant

its all so confusing
Well the people at the hospital sound incompetent and insensitive to say the least...your hcg level has to start somewhere. Let's say it was 5 mlu at 8dpo, it should've then doubled to 10 mlu by 11 dpo (48-72 hrs is normal time frame where your hcg should rise at least 80%) and at 20 mlu by 14 dpo. It continues to double from there but it has to start somewhere. Your hcg level is under 5 mlu when you're not pregnant after all. They can't seriously believe that everyone wakes up pregnant with an hcg level of 25+ one day. I think the best thing you can do is talk it over with your GP or possibly look for an OB that you would like to be your primary care provider in case you are pregnant. An OB will schedule the blood tests if he/she believes it's necessary and they ARE specialists in this field so they're usually more sensitive to your needs. Good luck and please keep us updated. :)
I agree with the other ladies:

1) Your HCG levels are higher than a non-pregnant persons which is why you are getting a positive on a HPT

2) Depending on when you actually ovulated and implanted (you could have been off by a few days), an HCG level of 20 iMU could be quite acceptable at this stage.  As others have said, your levels should be monitored to determine if this is a viable pregnancy.  

I wonder though, if there is more to this story.  Was there a reason why you had your HCG levels drawn at the hospital rather than by your regular doctor?  Have you had any problems such as bleeding?
Hi, there has been no bleeding

i have difficult vains and previous cyst on ovary so gp wanted me checked out at hospital today

i have had a few cramps and lower back pain but nothing bad... i have not needed any pain relief etc

do you have any idea how long implantation can take?

i believe i ovulated on either sat 24th jan or sun 25th - i got a faint positive result on friday 6th feb on 4 different tests... then i done a clear blue digital and a tesco digital on saturday the 7th and both stated pregnant

yet the one at hospital today came back with faint positive line which they classed as negitive saying they have to be 2 matching lines.
That's not true! They don't have to be matching because I am certainly pregnant and mine was a faint line as well and I took 5 tests. I don't know why the hospital would tell you otherwise, that is just silly.
I contacted the hospital again this morning and they said both lines should be equally reactive to indicate an accurate result so in their opinion it is negitive

they also said with an hcg level of only 19 in their opinion is still negitive but if i feel i need to do another home test for my own piece of mind to do this test in 7 days but they don't feel that i need to do this.

yet i spoke to NHS direct - medical advie and they say a hpt is as accurate as a dr test and an hcg level of above 5 is pregnant the levels tend not to start doubling to about the 3 - 4 week of pregnancy

what do you think? i have no idea what to think or feel?

i keep getting period like cramps and terrified i'm losing baby because of the advise ive been given
anyone else been through this?
My hcg level is 10  - what made it so low? & does this low number mean I could miscarry? Or Does it mean somethuing is wrong with the baby?
Hi im going through the same thing atm my hcg is 26 which last week i was bleeding and they done a scan this week and there is nothing there i dont want upset you but it is possible make sure they double like people say. doctors and hospital are crap they take there sweet time in seen you and scanning you. but demand it, its your right too.
hope this has helped a bit