Maternal & Child Community
Infant CBC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Infant CBC

I recently went the my child's 2 month well baby visit.  During that visit I was explaining the signs of acid reflux that he demonstrates as well as smelly stool.  The doctor prescribed Zantac for the acid reflux and took a blood and stool sample.  The stool sample showed no infection.  The blood sample however showed an elevated monocytes and platelets.  The platelet count was 450,000.  The nurse called and wanted us to come back in for another blood sample in two weeks.  We took the second sample and again the platelets were elevated.  This time to 600,000.  The monocytes were normal as well as the cell appearance.  We are now waiting 2 more weeks for another blood sample.  Of course I have taken a couple of days to read a lot of literature on the subject of monocytes and platelets.  The doctor does not seem to think the blood and his acid reflux are connected but after reading another persons question and your response I begin to wonder if they could be related.  I am not sure how the elevated monocytes work into the picture and I don't have the exact number to be more clear.  Any information would be appreciated.  I would like to be more educated on what the doctor is trying to eliminate and the concerns for my child.  Several of the essential thromobocytsis does not seem to apply to children.  Is that true or just the average?