Maternal & Child Community
Infant drug testing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Infant drug testing

If an expactant mother has used meth durring her pregnancy, Can a drug test be performed on the new born. And if the mother stoped useing a month before giving birth can the meth drug still be found in the infant?
My son's ex girlfriend is pregnant and used meth on a regular bacis for the first four months of her pregnancy. She is still pregnant and has occasionally used to this date. She is due March 07 and I expect this child to be born early because of her lack of prenatle care and drug use. We are very concearned about the welfare of this infant and need info.
Sincerely
Concearned Granny
Here's a link that discusses meth use and pregnancy.  I was kind of surprised that meth doesn't have a much more profound effect on unborn babies - it sounds like there's a fairly good chance your grandchild will be born early and with low birth weight,  but it sounds like you have reason to hope there won't be further damage.  The article does mention that if the mother stops using meth for the last 1 - 3 months,  the birth outcome improves markedly.

I hope you're planning to talk to the hospital social worker and get custody of this baby,  granny.     A meth head makes a HORRIBLE mother.

Best wishes,  and prayers your grandbaby is okay.
I just read your post...I don't know very much about meth or its effect on infants, but I just wanted to say that it is sad that the mother didn't stop using while she was pregnant.  Many of us have had MC's and would do anything to have a baby...I lost mine in Dec.   and it still hurts.  I hope that the baby is alright and is healthy, and maybe the mother will wake up and realize what a beautiful gift she was been given.  Good luck, and hopefully your son will take care of the baby when he/she arrives.
I'm a neonatal nurse practitioner. Some places routinely test infants AND mothers.  Chances are- if she was using meth, she's still using meth. It's a life long thing.  Some babies do ok, some have horrible withdrawl (withdrawal) and need to be hospitalized and receive medications to withdrawl (withdrawal) themselves.  Drug babies are hard, irritible and difficult to console. I wish you luck.
And if you're wanting to prove meth use,  it sounds like from this link that a test of the mother's hair would show meth use in the last 90 days.

It doesn't sound like testing the baby will work,  unless she's used within several days prior to birth.

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/meth/meth_testing.shtml
Rockrose is right- a hair follicle test on the mother would be best. IF DSS/CPS has been notified, then hopefully they will require one. Meth typically can't be detected in the urine if the user has abstained 3+ days, and about 5+ days for a blood test. Hair follicles tests will show any use within the past 3 months or more.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
Unfortunatly some women don't look at birth and pregnancy and how very special women really are. Birth is a miricle. This woman has not been happy about this not even a little. She denied she was pregnant for the first 4 months until my son had enough of her sneeking around and doing the drugs, booze and smoking and he left her. Then all of a sudden she was going to have a baby. She said she wanted an abortion but it was too late. So she got high some more. She got high last night. My son is only with her now till the baby comes. My heart breaks for him. There isn't a law here that protects the unborn.
Thank you for your response and also the response from others.
My son is staying in touch with this woman who is having this child.. He has spoken to DSS and is planning a DNA test.
We are reserching the posibility of drug testing this infant of course. The mother has already lost one child 11 years ago to the childs father. I don't know the exact circumstances but I have a pretty good idea why.
She is deffinately a meth head.. My son didn't know how bad till it was too late. This will be my second grandchild. I am 41. I pray for the sake of the infant and my son if he is to take the child to raise. I have some understanding of coke babies. My older aunt was an addict and had a child. But we don't know the effects of meth. I appreciate any input.
if they have been clean from crack for 2 months will the unborn child test positive for drug?
I smoked meth from November, 2007 until Feb 21st, 2008. I relapsed for three days in the first week of April, 2008. I later found out I became pregnant on March 29, 2008. I quit for other reasons other then the pregnancy, but the point of my comment is this- when my daughter was born, on January 2, 2009, the hospital tested her feces upon her birth and her urine two days later. Her birth weight was 7 lbs 12 oz, and she scored 8 and 9 on the infant birth testings, so she was perfectly healthy, no concerns to date. But, she did test positive for drugs, drugs that I had taken nine months prior. I hope this helps.