Maternal & Child Community
Is smoked salmon dangerous?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is smoked salmon dangerous?

Of all the foods my OB told me to watch out for, she never told me to watch out for smoked salmon, and I just read a chain where someone said eating smoked salmon is bad.  I have had smoked salmon on several occasions during first trimester and beginning of second (3-4 times in all!), and now I'm freaking out.  My OB is the head of perinatal medicine at my hospital and the best high risk OB around, so I'm shocked she wouldn't have mentioned it.  Also, she said that eating sushi is fine, and most cheese is pasturized and to just look for cheeses that don't say.  I'm freaking about the smoked salmon thing.  Anyone know?
I think the amount of fish is what causes a problem.  Drs are worried about high levels of mercury, but eating fish every now and then is okay.  If you've just ate it 3-4 since you were pregnant I'd say that's probably no big deal.
I think it's actually Listeria that is sometimes in smoked salmon that docs are worried about in pregnant women.

Listeria is a food born illness,  and makes you feel sick.  The risk is very low in salmon,  and if you haven't gotten really ill,  I wouldn't worry about it.

Best wishes.
You're supposed to avoid smoked salmon since it's not cooked enough to kill all the bacteria, but you would know if you got sick off it, if nothing ever happened you're fine, just avoid it for the rest of your pregnancy.
A few times might not be bad, I know smoked salmon is a good source of some vitamins that we need.  I even had sushi (not a lot, and only California and Philadelphia rolls).
correct, smoked salmon is a no-no. becauase the fish is smoked and not "cooked", there's a huge risk for listeria (something like 8 out of 10 packs of smoked salmon have it) - which isnt a big problem if you're not pregnant. its one of the few foods my OB actually told me to avoid, that and deli meat or anything that's been sitting around at room temp. supposedly you can have canned smoked salmon, canned smoked fish, etc.
anything smoked has cancer causing agents in it. Don't panic though you haven't been living on the stuff. Just avoid it from here on out, even after baby comes.
I've got to be honest here, no one, not even a doctor can tell you what is going to cause an illness or disease as there are so many strains of bacteria (In almost everything) and so many ways to become ill.  I believe in eating (almost) everything in moderation, of course avoiding things that you are not comfortable eating. You can make yourself REAL paranoid if you are constantly worried about what you can and can't eat. I know that I am giving my unborn child the best I can when I am comfortable with my choices... puts your mind & body at ease. Just eat wise and don't 'freak out' about everything you hear... as you have witnessed, some people say their doctor says it's OK and others Don't !
Have a healthy and HAPPY pregnancy ;)