Maternal & Child Community
I've been taking vicodin...is my baby OK?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 30 wks pregnant and takinf Vicodin once a day off and on through my whole pregnancy and I have stopped now...but I am teribly worried that the damage is already done?! Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you in advance!
You're 30 weeks pregnant, taking Vicodin once a day and just asking this question now? You surely must have had prenatal care by now. What did your doctor say when you mentioned this?
Vicodin is a category C drug, so there is always that possibility of putting your baby at risk.
I am scared to say anything to him...
It would be best to say something now, so they know how best to care for your baby if he/she requires any special treatment after birth. I'm not going to preach about what you should have done, because it's too late. I hope for your and your baby's sake that you have not done any harm, but please say something now so that you can be prepared. It's not too late to tell your doctor.
Wouldn't that drug show up in your urine when they test it?
It has been found that babies who are born to mothers who have been taking opioids regularly prior to delivery will be physically dependent, and will suffer withdrawal symptoms after birth. In mothers who are taking narcotics shortly before delivery, there may be a degree of respiratory depression in the newborn baby, especially if higher doses are taken.

If you have stopped taking this now, it is best.
They don't test your urine for drugs without your consent.  But, when you deliver, they can test your baby without asking if they suspect anything.
Wow, I did not know that.  
The urine they take when you go into the dr is just to check for protien, and if they send it off, they check for things like a uti and such, but no drugs.  At least no in AZ, but I'm pretty sure it is like that everywhere.
I had a friend on Medicade that got caught with drugs in her system... a large amount of the substances that make up cocaine (sp?), she was then put on high risk.  I don't know if I agree with the the doctors not checking for drugs, but there is nothing I can do to change that.
if shes been taking vicodin that long, and no doctor knows, im guessing shes afraid to tell because she doesnt have a legal prescription. tell your doc now!!! dont make an appt. just call them--and pray.
it would probably be a good idea if they did test the urine for drugs at each appt., i'm not sure why they don't, maybe its too expensive?
OH MY......don't you think it is TOO EARLY TO ASK THIS QUESTION......i have feeling that it is a fake post because they will know by blood test and every women do tons of tests during pregnancy. how did you get the prescription, who gave it to you, and you are pregnant? this doesn't make sense to me.
Okay, I was taking percocet throughout my entire pregnancy for an on going back problem. I took them prior to becoming pregnant up until the day of delivery. I gave birth to 2 beautiful, healthy baby boys on Dec. 1 2007. Like you I was very concerned and came here for help, I had people telling me the same things this person is telling you and worse. But I also found a couple of people who had been through the same thing, one of which had a friend that was a doctor. She was able to ease my mind some, but of course I still had my concerns. I was told that you have to take over 80mg a day for the baby to be born addicted, and percocet is stronger than vicodin and both contain opioids. I was taking about 40 mg per day, every day. Now, I am not saying go pill crazy and take a bunch, but if you need to take them then its ok. I delievered at 32 weeks, but that is because I had twins and they were c-sectioned. They had no withdral symptoms, they were breathing on their own since they were born even though they were premie and are now sound asleep in a crib next to me. I hear the placenta is a great filter. It is a bad idea for you to go through withdrawl (withdrawal) while you are pregnant because it can cause miscarriage and the stress of it is bad for you and baby. If you have any other questions feel free to post or e-mail me ***@**** because I remember how scared I was and it felt good to hear from people who experienced the same thing as me.
Thank you so much!!!! I appreciate it so much...