Maternal & Child Community
L&D ward-normal or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

L&D ward-normal or not?

I just moved to a new state and, in my 38th week, went to tour the labor and delivery facility where I will be, well...laboring and delivering!  I was VERY disappointed in the facilities, especially when compared to where my DD was born.  First of all, when I get there, I go to a triage room-not private!-where I will be monitored until they decide to keep me.  Then I get moved to a L&D room, which they called 'nice' and I call awful!  It may have been nice ten years ago, but now looked beaten up, drab, etc.  The nurse doing the tour said to make sure to bring extra pillows, because they only give you one pancake pillow!  Then, an hour after birth, you move to a room the size of a shoebox (literally room for a bed, chair, and baby bassinett.  And, the most disturbing news to me was that for a vaginal birth they keep you 24 hours.  Now to some of you that may sound great, but 24 hours?!!?  My DD was born at 1:17 a.m. on a Friday morning, and they let me out on Sunday.  I was wiped out, sore beyond belief from my tear, etc.  I'm so concerned about going home after 24 hours this time, with a 5 year old, a new house still in boxes, and a BABY to take care of!  Gosh-it sounds like those puppy mills to me!  Was I just spoiled with my DD?  I had a private room from the time I got there until I left-the same room-I never had to move.  And they even gave my husband and I a celebratory steak dinner.  I'll be lucky if this place gives me my free bag from Similac!

What's it like where you are?  I freely admit I may just be spoiled and need to 'buck up,' but right now I almost wish I hadn't gone for the tour!
I think you should look into different hospitals if you aren't happy, it may be a further drive but certainly go were you are comfortable. Where I have my kids (I drive an hour just to go there) they monitor you in a small room before they admit you, then you go to the delivery room which is rather big so is the after you have your baby room, private bathroom a chair for companion to sleep in, and room for family to visit...
my hospital does the same thing that amberds does. I would look into another hospital too. I wish you the best of luck
Is this your ONLY option?  Maybe register also at another one further away, but nicer.  Then, depending on the situation, you can drive to the further one if time and circumstances allow.  I don't have that great of a hospital, but ALL rooms are private w/private baths.  My recovery room is the size of a standard room, but one bed, and then the rest of the room is a couch, chairs, table, room for visitors.  It isn't updated, but it serves the needs.  Good luck!!!!
i had my dd in a hospital that sounds like the one you visited, the triage room has 3 beds which are always full, and the room you go to after you deliver is really small, and you share it with one other person, but the bathroom you share with the room next to you, so 4 women who just had babies are sharing the same washroom, and they would leave a nasty mess in there as well, it was not fun BUT it is the best hospital in town for neonatal services, so ill suffer through it again with this one, because if i were to deliver anywhere else and something went wrong with the baby, they would keep me at that hospital and transfer the baby,

oh and its a 24 hour period after the birth that they keep you, but i like that part of it

The small hospital that I worked in actually had the best care and rooms ever. You labored/delivered/recovered/and post-partum in the same room. It did spoil you. The baby could room-in with you.There was also adequate staff to help with your needs. This may not be true in all hospitals, though. Check around bc if you are not happy with it now, it will be worse when you have the baby. As for going home 24 hours after delivery, check with your insurance company. However, it should be up to the discretion of the dr. They can keep you 48 hours, although a lot of them do go home in 24 hours, but not everyone.
The larger hospital that I worked in was set where you come in to the triage area first. There were multiple beds in there with curtains to separate them. Once you were admitted, you were taken to the other hall where you labored and delivered. Approx.1-2 hrs later, when you were stable, you were transferred to a semi-private room. There were only a few privates. Most women wanted out by the time 24 hours were up. But, the larger hospital had the nicu where the smaller was a level I nursery.
Both had there differences, but each had special perks. It is just up to you and your preference.
My experience with DD was similar but I actually thought the room was nice for labor....not post-partum....but labor room.

I was taken to 'triage' too...this I was told was to ensure it was truly labor before sending me to the labor room. I was a little ticked because I had already had hard labor at home for the past 16hrs and just wanted my epidural to sleep....I just wasn't dilating.

The labor room, I thought was very nice....I was there from 6p until 4am the next morning when they took me to the 'recovery' room....it was soooo small.  I remember having visitors the next day and no one could fit.  I was only there until the following morning at 11am....so a little over 24 hrs after my DD was born....

I though, luckily had no problems...very light bleeding, no tearing or cutting...not one stitch.  I felt fine to go home and honestly, I wanted to.  Now she was my first....being that I am only a few weeks away from having my son, I hope to be in the hospital longer, even an extra day just to recoup.

My 3 yr old keeps me so busy and exhausted....I can't imagine going home after 24 hrs this time.
My L&D room was a nice size private room.  The recovery room was not private but the hospital was great at giving your a roommate as you were getting discharged.  IN other words, when I was brought into the room, the woman in the neighboring bed was being discharged.  As I was being discharged, they brought the woman in the room so it worked out perfectly well.  I had DD Sunday morning (@ 7:50 am) and was discharged Wednesday morning.  I got lucky they kept me for so long but I guess they wanted to monitor DD since she was born very small.  In any case, I'd suggest looking into other places b/c that place sounds...awful, as you put it.
I'm right there with tmv. The hospital I had my ds in (St.Lukes South in Kansas City) was wonderful!  You were admitted, and the private room you checked in to was yours for the duration-- you labored, delivered and recovered/stayed in it for everything.  (The bed had a removable end section for the delivery.)  They only would've moved you if you'd needed a C-section, and then it would've just been for the surgery and then right back to your room.  They had a pull out couch/bed for my dh, and my ds roomed in with us the entire time.  It had it's own bathroom with a whirlpool tub and shower. I was admitted on a thurs. PM, and was released on Sunday afternoon.  They kept asking if I was sure I was ready/wanted to leave, otherwise they said I could stay one more night.  They had no set "visitor hours", and no restrictions on ages of visitors... they just asked you to be curteous for the other patients.  I liked that it had a private elevator solely for the L&D floor-- it could only be released to/fro by the nurses in the station, and had a camera watching you in the elevator.  That, along with the bands on mom/baby, made us feel very safe.
Definitely check around for other hospitals.  Take a tour of their L&D facitlites.  Don't be put off by having to drive a little further.  Ours is almost an hour away, but I happily sat on my towels/trashbags to protect the car seats when my water broke and I was having my ds... I knew that once I got there I would be well cared for, comfortable and my son would have the best care.
Good luck!
P.S.  I not only got one diaper bag full of Similac-- but two!! :o)
By law, you may stay 48 hours if you want to, and insurance has to pay for at least that much.  For a C/S, I believe it is 72 hours.  If you dont' feel well enough to leave after 24 hours, say so.  

See how you feel, though.  If it is really awful there, you might want to stay for only 24!  You might be surprised at how much better you feel this time, though.  
Speak up if you don't feel well enough to go.

Our hospital has a big 3 bed triage, too (but we often have to use it for labor, we're so busy).  The labor rooms are good size, but probably "drab" and not all pretty like many hospitals have now.  The post partum rooms are small, but are in the process of renovating them.

Though the surroundings may not look pretty and like a 5 star hotel, you might find the care to be excellent.  That's what counts, not that the hospital ponied up big time bucks to make it froofy looking.  

The place I delivered my dd at, was much like the one you described where you had your dd, right down to the private steak dinner (I thought just here did that!) I was able to be in a private room as well, with a private bathroom, heck Dh just spent the 2 nights in the hospital bed on the other side of the room! (normally reserved for another patient, and when there is another mom staying on the other side of the room, the fathers of the baby's are not allowed to stay the night for privacy reasons. I did not happen to have room mate, so dh took the bed...In the 2 years since, the hospital has changed it policy, and there is no longer sharing of rooms in L&D,so looks as though I will have my own room again this time around!) We had great nurses(got you food, pain meds, whatever you needed!) and the food was decent for a hospital(including a vegatarian option on the menu)..We left the hospital after 2 days with all kinds of information, samples and the other half pakage of the Pamper swaddlers diapers they provided. And yes, the steak dinner with candle light was so sweet, they set it all up for the new parents here. I felt like I was on vacation, I was very well taken care of. I can only hope it is that nice this time around! My hospital is ony 30 min. away. If there is another nicer option for you out there, I would think  it would be worth a shot to check it out! Good luck!
holy cow! i just realized i have 2 and half weeks to a month and haven't even went on the tour! is it something you should do?

i just called the L& D at my hospital and they tell me there are 3 two bed triage rooms and then you labor deliver and recover in the same private room. i could care less aside from i would like a private room since Ben will stay with me and i know my insurance will pay for it.

they have a level 3 nicu. is that good enough? i'm a little confused about that.
Level 1 is usually routine nursery care.  Level 2 is for babies that may require a bit more monitoring, may be on oxygen, or may be on tube feedings.  Level 3 is for infants who may have severe or life threatening problems.

So I'd say you are good to go.  

A long time ago, hospitals used to do the whole steak dinner thing, but most don't anymore.  However, they are learning that the way to attract people is by laying on the luxuries.  That's what people seem to care about, not the medical care.  So hospitals have responded by froofing up the rooms and amenities, and downsizing the staffing.  
Honestly, it's a hospital not a resort. I would be more concerned with whether or not they could handle any emergency that may come up during labor and delivery than how fancy the room is.
that sucks. i think i would rather have excess staff to come running if there were an emergency than a fancy armoire anyday. it is a hospital after all.

ugh
Actually, I didn't choose this hospital because of the 'steak dinner'...I didn't even know they did that before hand. I went to this hospital, because it is the closest and that is where my midwives deliver. It is definately not 'froofy'...It is very simple, like any hospital..boring bed, 2 pillows, small tv that is attached to the wall (that is about the only amenity, I'd say) and the bathroom has a sink, toliet and stall shower(no pretty wall paper or pictures, just an off white typical hospital bathroom). Not the '5 star hotel' that some would choose...The care there was excellent! the nurses were warm, helpful, friendly and went out of their way to make you comfortable. I had never ever stayed in a hospital before, and often had not heard very good things about this hospital in particular, so I was very nervous thinking about my hosital stay post delivery. To my suprise, the hospital staff was excellent, I could not have asked for better care. To me, the staff IS the most important, vital part of any hospital, and that is what I was most concerned about (since I hadn't heard such nice things)...The design or upkeep of the hospital made no difference to me, as long as it was clean, which it was. It was so wonderful to have great care and a pleasant visit! I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to feel comfortable. I just happen to have a great hospital within my reach, unfourtunatly, not all have such a luxury.
I'll give you an example of a beautiful, luxureous hospital in my area. It was open in May 2006. Spa atmosphere. 24 hour cook with gourmet food.White robes.Huge rooms. Waterfall wall in the main waiting room. I checked it out bc I may need to go to work outside the home sometime and honestly would love to spend a weekend getaway there! But, since June 2007, they have been in bankruptcy. Cut the staff down to unsafe levels. Never had more than a level 1 nursery, not that there's anything wrong with that but it could be a driving force to get patients there. They're in the process of being bought out. Many nurses have left for fear that it will not be around much longer. It's just too bad, but I think it's not the frills that gives you great care, it's the staff. But, if you're not comfortable with it, check around and go with your gut feeling.
OK, OK, I  KNOW I sounded spoiled...and I guess I was.  I was fortunate enough to have excellent care in a wonderful surrounding the first time through. They really made the extra effort to make sure that everything was a celebration of baby's birth.  I sent the nurses a gift after delivery, even, because I was so impressed (nurse's day happened to be just around the corner!).  Of course I care that the medical care for baby and me will be excellent-but I don't know that and don't have a choice.  My DH is military, we're in a military town (although not a military hospital) and this is what we get.  They are a level 2 nursery.  I'm glad to know I can stay 48 hours if I feel I need to, but maybe I will want to leave earlier this time-I know I am certainly hoping for a smoother delivery this go-around!

I was lucky that I was employed and had my own insurance with my DD and with most of the prenatal care with this baby.  I had 5 ultrasounds before I got here, only to find out that DH's military insurance would only cover one.  Lucky me!  I miss the choice in private, versus military, healthcare.  But I am truly THANKFUL that we HAVE INSURANCE!  I'll stop pouting now and just wish for a smooth delivery with the end product of a healthy baby!
You're not pouting, I am!  Now that our hospital is renovating the post partum rooms, they have cut several nursing positions to help pay for it.  

Oh, they'll be pretty rooms.  Hardwood floors, everything is just top flight, gift basket with luxury items, etc.  But fewer nurses.

And no one is the wiser, b/c the ones who are there take up the slack, working double shifts, overtime, etc.  
I was out of the hospital in less than 24 hours after delivery with my second and third. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. i don't like to be coddled or waited on, i wanted to get my booty home and settle into my routine and new role as the mother or two and then three children. With T I delivered after 2pm on a Thursday and went home by 1:30 the following afternoon. For CJ I had him at 2:49pm on a Saturday and was on my way home at 10:30 am the next morning. I had a "nice" suite, foofy tub,, dvd player, literally a restaurant with seriously good grub delivering food to my room within 10-15 minutes of placing the order, etc. Didn't matter the amenities, I was eager to get home, even with the broken tailbone I sustained with my third : ) there is something to be said for being in your own environment. I don't need someone poking and prodding me, bugging my baby, etc.

I would rather have a frumpy dump than less staff. My poor nurse nearly delivered me alone, doc wasn't there until pretty much the last of a few very short pushes. I thought my mom and John were going to have to help. Ironically there was only one other patient in active labor and we both started pushing at the same time. Not enough nursing staff to handle that apparently. But hey, I had a spa tub ((that I never used, BTW)
Wow, I never got to go to the triage room as I was induced both times, but they do that here too.  Our L&D rooms are pretty nice, first one I had was huge and had a whirlpool tub.  Second baby, the room was nice but a lot smaller and just had a shower.  Honestly, I was okay woth whatever I was in as I was so tired coming in at 5 am and by the time I was really awake, I was in full blown labor and not feeling well.  They left me in there to recover for several hours before moving me to my post partum room.  I enjoyed the big room, but the hitch was, they let you bond with your baby for the first hour after you have them, then they take them to the nursery to clean up and do all that good stuff.  You can't get your baby back in your room until you move over to pp.  Sucked with my first baby, He was born just before 6 pm, they had to take him away pretty quick after he was born due to some problems we encountered at the birth.  I got to hold him and give him a quick kiss and hand him back.  I was so out of it when the epidural wore off that I passed out, they ended up keeping me in the labor room and moved DH and baby and all of my family and friends to the pp room.  I got to come over a little before midnight, by then everyone had held my little angel and took tons of pictures, I missed it all.  Second baby we had family stop by, but they were so busy the nurses couldn't move me over to the pp room and nobody got to hold my baby at all the first night.  My poor parents came in early the next morning and they were working on him again and they had to leave before they got to hold him.  Came back after work, and the nurse had just taken Cam again for more blood work since he was jaundice and they were debating keeping us another day.  My poor parents got to hold him right before we checked out.  I was fine staying 2 days with my first baby since I tore so bad and was in pain.  Second baby I couldn't wait to get out of the tiny room and hold my baby whenever I wanted to.  Also, they don't like to send you home with pain meds, just ibuprofen and Tylenol, so they do offer you another night.  I didn't care, Percocet wasn't worth it for me.   It sucks, I hope you can get a private room, if not, just focus on happy healthy baby.  I think you bounce back a lot quicker after the first one, I did, I guess he was 1 & 1/2 lbs. smaller too, but still, I was up walking after a few hours.