Maternal & Child Community
Literally can't breathe! Allergies very bad...any suggestions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey All,

I was up all night in bed in a sitting up position TRYING to breathe...I have the seasonal allergies, but can't catch a good breath for the life of me...nasals all squished and barely air getting thru....lungs when breathing feel all congested...

I'm blowing my nose, but I also feel dry?

I am desperate and called my MD this morning to get some medicine I can take...was hoping NOT to have to take any, but I didn't sleep one hour last night AND had to go to work this morning and will have to work til 5p.

PLEASE HELP....any suggestions on safe medications for these symptoms...I hate some medications as they make you even dryer and then it's even harder to breathe.

UGH>jt
Get a vaporizer and breathe near its outflow.  It seems funny that breathing air with moisture in it will help, but it really does.  I had one on my baby registry, and bought it early and used it myself. It felt so good!  Kind of like when you have a fever and someone puts a cool damp cloth on your forehead.
I had the same problem with my last pregnancy and was in complete misery!  I called up my dr.s office and the nurse recommended some OTC decongestants but I did not want to take them. Then from having my sinuses clogged up for weeks straight I got a sinus infection and had to go on antibiotics (in retrospect it would have been better to take a couple of decongestants than 2 weeks of antibiotics).  Anyway, natural things like steam may ease symptoms but I find saline nasal sprays to be the best to ward off sinus infections and it helps to moisturize!
Saline nasal rinses very frequent. Close up the house and use air conditioning if possible and put a good high density pleated filter in, not a cheapo fiberglass one. If you don't have a vaporizor, run the shower on hot and sit in the closed up bathroom for a while. It will really help relieve the pressure and open things up. Hope you feel better :)
I was starting to actually panic a little last night as I couldn't breathe.....I told my hubby to cut our grass this week.....maybe that is some of the problem....our doggie keeps running thru the long grass and then comes in the house.....I told him to give the dog a bath when he cuts the grass....

It feels like my chest can't catch air.....I can feel the congestion in there when I breathe and keep coughing to clear it.....I have all achiness from coughing and sneezing so much...

Maybe I will buy a vaporizer after work....I did have hubby shut all the windows and unfortunately we don't have a.c....so I had the fan on me trying  to catch air.

I read that benadryl is okay, but I hate to get even DRYER feeling....but it may unblock my sinuses?

UGH...

I was rubbing vix under my nose all night....helped for about a second.

JT
Salines and nasal washes are a good preventative but if you have a sinus infection Ceftin is a safe prescription to take while pregnant.  Talk to your doc.  Good luck.
i used Nasarel throughout the pregnancy, helped keep the symptoms at bay.
I've been using Rhinocort (steroid nasal spray) and it's safe during pregnancy.  It works great for me and it doesn't make me tired like some of the others do.  It shrinks the inflamation (inflammation) of the nasal passages and makes breathing easier.
i use flonase every night- dr said it's ok. i use sudafed as needed during the daytime (he even let me take that 1st trimester), and now that i am further along, dr said benadryl or chlortimatron (sp?) is OK. they both make me drowsy, so i take it only if i'm miserable and at night.
Well doctor called me back and said at night, benadryl if needed and day, claritin if needed.

I'm going for the vaporizer today after work instead...hoping it will give some relief...I hate to be dried out even more with benadryl.

Thanks all.

JT

p.s.  I was told Sudafed is not good while preg. or too much of it for sure is not good.
Hi! Well, with seasonal allergies, all the home/non-medicinal remedies like saline and vaporizers are only going to go so far for like no time at all.  I've had allergies all my life, and I know from experience.  So, before this Spring, I talked to my OB about safe meds (I know we don't want to take them, but sometimes you have to make the choice about what's really important to you with the advice you are giving by a doc).  My doc said Claritin is absolutely fine on the baby, as well as Sudafed and Benedryl (Benadryl only 50mg two times per week).  I take Claritin only when it is unbearable, and it works for me.  I don't like to take meds, too, while pg, but sometimes it is an absolute necessity.  Sleep and the ability to breathe are very important in pg, too.  Check with your doc on how he/she feels about Claritin.  Good luck and hopefully the season will shorten itself soon.
Hi All
I have been allergy for 3 weeks. First I used the nasal seem work for me but after all I use medicine{ Calitine, Calitine D, Wall ACT, or Sytect) seem not work for me. The phamacies said I shouldn't use the sprays afer three days. Do anyone have any suggest what should I do or should I go to see doctor?
primatene mist.. you can buy it over the counter..its for asthma..but helps you catch that breath immediatly !   I have had the same problem at night where i sit up all night trying to catch a breath... got the primatene mist and problem solved !  inhale it and hold for as long as possible then let it out.. i do it twice and go right to sleep !