Maternal & Child Community
Loss of Weight??? Very Worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Loss of Weight??? Very Worried

Hi guys, I just went to my appointment 22 weeks, I have lost 2.5 lbs since the last visit.  The Doctor says it's normal and the baby ids doing great.  However, I am very concerened about the weight loss.  
Maybe it'ss because I weight on an empty stomach, vs I always weigh after eating in the afternoon
ALso I have been having alot more urination than normal
Also I ahve been eating alot healthier.

Guys has this happened to anyone, could I be sick, I just had all types of bloodwork and everyhting was p[erfect.
I lost 6 weeks at one point in my second trimester and by the next appt is was already coming back. It is normal and I would not let it worry you.
Do not stress. I was loosing wait until 20 weeks ( I was -6lbs and am skinny to begging with) and at 29 weeks I hit 25lbs gain! So, as long as your Dr. is ok with it, no need to worry. By 30 weeks you will be wishing you did not gain any!
Harley Girl, you mean 6 lbs in one month in your second trimester too? I hope it's becasue I went on an empty stomach versus every other time I go after eating a huge meal
Yep 6 lbs in one month... I am now 30 weeks and have gained a total of 20 pounds. My weight pretty much stayed about the same until I was around 28 weeks than BAM all of a sudden it appeared.
Don
So glad someone posted this.  I have yet to gain, but didn't with my son till 20 weeks.  My Dr. did tell me that I should stop losing weight and hopefully have added a pound or so by my next appt, or she may have to see what's going on.  I'm 17 weeks 5 days and am still losing, I was not overweight to begin with, but am still having issues eating.  With my son I gained 23 pounds overall and lost 15 to begin with, so it was a net of 8 pounds over my prepregnancy weight, he was a big strong baby too, over 10 pounds, so I'm not too worried, but a little scared of my Dr.  Anyone else still losing into the second trimester like that?
My conceren is that I hadn't lost until now.  Well at 18 weeks I was 165 then went in follwing week and had lost 2 lbs, but then gained them back.  I mean I'm eating healthier, alot of this thing called chicken kitchen.

1. DO you all think 2.5 is too much
2. Is loosing in the 2nd trimester normal

Like usual I am freaking out that I have some deadly disease that is making me loose the weight.
It's so hard living like this
I lost 19 pounds in my first trimester. Every month I was down another 6lbs. I had horrible morning sickness which stopped around 12 weeks. Gained the weight back, plus another 19. Delivered a healthy and LARGE 9lb 5oz baby boy. So hang in there. As long as your baby is growing and your doc says all okay don't worry. It's less weight you'll have to lose afterwards.
I know that I fluctuated with my son.  I had stabilized and stopped losing around 12 weeks or so and stayed the same at 16 weeks, but then began to gain.  I did lose at the very end though.  Maybe since you are eating healthier?  If your Dr. hasn't given you "the speech"  I wouldn't stress too much, if they were worried they would let you know.  If you are worried though I would call and ask them.  I know I packed on the pounds at the end of the second trimester, not much at this point.  I'm not too worried since my baby has been doing really well and is moving like crazy, but am so scared to get yelled at at my next appt.  I don't think it's too uncommon to go up and down...
Guys I am having a terrible panick attack as we are speaking.  My heart is ponding, and I'm having a hard time breathing.  WHy have I convincced myself of being sick.  I feel like crying, I can't take this anymore.  I can't get on any medication for the anxiety and I don't know how I'm ghoing to make it the next few months.  Has anyone else lost weight out there in their second trimester
Of course!  Especially being pregnant I know that I get really moody and it helps to take a moment to think about the positives.  I am so gonna remember this later, I had a dream about labor and it hit me today that I have to go through it again.  Not that I'm stupid, I knew I would go through it again nd it's so worth it, but you know, it just hits you.  Anyway, it brought a smile to my face to know that someone else can handle the stress and anxiety so well.  Have a happy Halloween!  As for me, my little trick or treater got a tummy bug last night and spent most the evening throwing up, he is sleeping like an angel now, so I hope he's not too disappointed that he has to miss out on the excitement, bought a ton of candy though, just in case.
Thank you guys.  That's exactly wehat the Dr. told me that it was water weight and being on an empty stomach.  FOr the last week I have gone pee pee non stop, so maybe that decreased my water weight.  I wonder if there is anything out there that I can do for this debilitating anxiety.  Guys it has taken over me, I am currently completing my internship for teaching, and it's so unlike me but I haven't been able to go these last 2 days.  Despite many Dr.s telling me I'm healthy, I still can't sleep at night thinking I'm terminally ill.  I'll look at my girls and cry and blame myself for leaving them behiond.  I can't seem to enjoy life anymore, I don't even want the holidays to come around.  SOrry to bore you guys, but sometimes I just have to vent.
Thank for listening,   God bless to all
Do not be worried about this. 2.5 pounds is very normal, this could have been water gain that you lost or any number of things. Please don't have anxiety about this. It is really bad for you. I know how hard it is to overcome anxieties. Please breath deep and do something to take your mind off of this. Go get some ice cream and gain those 2.5 lbs back!

I am sure you and the baby are just fine and dandy:)
Well I have posted this a million times, and I am sure that the other ladies are sick of reading this, but I am a long time survivor of anxiety! It starrted when I was about 20 years old and it hit me like a storm. My heart would beat uncontrollibly fast, sometimes I would even feel like I was going to pass out. My hands would get sweaty and I would just feel so on edge. I was contsantly thinking something was wrong with me, especially with my heart. I was convinced I was going to die young. Well, I did go to the Doc's and they perscribed me paxil and ativan. It worked, but I hated being on the drugs as they were only a mask not a solution. Now I beat these feelings by accepting them as part of who I am. I welcome them and I have retrained myslef to think positivley. It takes a lot, but it is worth it. Everytime you have a negative thought stand up and say out loud NO, and then replace it with something positive. You will be surprised how often you will do this!! Also, pay very close attention to your diet. No caffiene, or too much sugar. Eat a very balanced diet and drink a lot of water. I have read many times that people who are prone to anxiety often are dehydrated. Drink herbal teas when you feel on edge, like chamomile and sleepy time teas, excersise, I cannot stress that enough, it will help you exert that extra energy god blessed you with. You are a beautiful, healthy woman, and you will be here for a long time. Make the best of it. I have a million more tips, please feel free to email me at ***@**** if you just want to vent or chat.

I just had to comment that it was very cool for you to post that, I had no idea about your anxiety, but you sound like an amazing woman.  Anyway, just nice to hear someone give tips like that, I think we can all benefit from thinking of the positives, thanks!
Aww, thank you. That mean so much to me. I hope that I can help.
Oh, it can't be good for you to get worked up like that.  I have lost in my second trimester, still am, but my Dr. wasn't too upset with me yet, wants to see some gain soon, but assured me baby is doing fine.  I think if it were bad your Dr. would say something.  It sounds like there are others here that have gone through the same thing, especially since you were stabile with your weight before this last checkup, I wouldn't worry too much.  Call your Dr. though if you are really concerned, it's much better than getting worked up, that's even worse for you and baby.  Your little one is still pretty small, in another month or so you should start adding a little weight on.  It'll get better.  All of those hormones really get to you, just try to relax.
I lost weight in all of my pregnancy until the last trimester.  Just think how your belly is growing and pushing everything up into your stomach.  I know with me I just didn't fell like eating and it just didn't take much to fill me up.  I felt like I was eating more but acutally wasn't.  With my last daughter I only gain 10 lbs and she was very healthy full term 7lb 12 oz baby.
Dont worry the baby is getting the nutrients he/she needs.  My DH's cousin has lost 16 lbs so far with her pregnancy and at her u/s they told her this was going to be a big baby.
My mom lost weight the whole time she was pregnant with me.  I was born a week early and weighed 5lbs 6oz and was perfectly heathy.
i am 25 weeks pregnant and i loss 11lbs in four weeks im very worried by dr said that is not noral i had to run some blood text i did not get the results has yet,
I am 18 week pregnant and have lost 1lb in 3 days I am so worried,,,,,,,,,,,my last week ultrasound resulted normal  fetus (touch Wood) but this week I find suddenly I lost 1lb with in 3 daysI am worried could this be a sing of growth problem in the fetus or miscarrige ...........let hope its nothing like that.......I have alow platelets count also..........I am so worried dont want to loose this baby............please advice
ive lost about 10 lbs in 2 - 3 days. i have not changed the amount i eat which. which is 3 meals and a few snacks. ??