Maternal & Child Community
Low Rising hCG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Low Rising hCG

My wife is now (16 Dec 06) ca. 6-7 weeks pregnant (from 1st day of last period).  On 04 Dec, her hCG was 2039 and her Progesterone was 3.5.  She started taking Progesterone pills, and a gestation sac was seen via U/S, but nothing else.  On Dec 5 she began to have dark-red/brownish "spotting" on 05 Dec and mild cramping (mostly on her left side).

On 06 Dec, her hCG was 2551 and her Progesterone was 157.  On 08 Dec, her hCG was 3215 and her Progesterone was 83.5.  On 11 Dec, her hCG was 4500 and her Progesteron was 200.  An U/S on 11 Dec showed a yolk sac and a 3.1mm fetal pole with heart activity.  On 14 Dec, her cramping stopped and her hCG was 4900, her Progesterone was 29 and an U/S showed a fetal growth to 4.6mm and continued fetal heart activity.  On 15 Dec, her hCG was 5260 and her Progesterone was 37.2.  She continues to have the dark, spotty bleeding.

Question -- any idea what is happening?  The hormone levels indicate a potential problem, but there was fetal growth and development of a fetal heart activity during the same time?  We have heard that once fetal heart activity is detected, fetal growth and heart activity are better indicators of a viable pregnancy than hCg.  Is this true?  What would "normal" fetal growth and fetal heart activity be at ca. 6-7 weeks?  She is planning another U/S on 18 Dec.  Thank you for your prompt answer -- we are very nervous, but still hopeful.
I wish I could help you and I see how you could be nervous... when I had low hCG levels and they were not doubling every 48-72 hours, that signaled a problem...I have had 2 m/c and this is what happened to the numbers...HOWEVER..... I have never had cardiac movement before...so YOU are different and that is such a great sign!!!!  Keep the hope and faith...... everybody is different...what are your Drs. saying????  Oh, and my second m/c is actually an ectopic prgenancy (I had IVF - I guess it is a higher incidence when you have this done)   BEST WISHES to you and lots of sticky baby dust to you!!!!!!
i am currently 7 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound at 5 wks we saw fetal pole and heart beat. I had brown spotting a mild cramps on my right side. my doctor found during my ultrasound that i have a subchorinic bleed and put me on strick bed rest for 1 month. Here is a website that gives some information on it sorry i don't want to scare you but reading the stories of other women who had this it seems like many doctors did not tell their patients what it was or could be.And some doctors also missed it. There is not much information about it on the web.
http://www.angelfire.com/home/joeynrobin/subchorionic.hematoma.faq.html
I had low rising hcg levels and low progesterone with my 2nd preg. There was a heartbeat of 160 at 8 wks but I miscarried a week later so even though hearing a strong heartbeat reduces the rate of m/c to about 10%, it can still happen. I am currently 7 wks with good hcg up until about 5 1/2 wks. I expected to m/c but my Dr. says he's had cases where hcg has dropped and progesterone has remained high and a healthy baby was delivered so there is hope too. I had another u/s and we could see flutter of a heartbeat at 5wks 5 days. Basically sometimes dropping hcg or progesterone is a sign that there is a problem with development. A pregnancy can be sustained with progesterone but an unhealthy pregnancy will eventually end no matter what. Also once hcg levels reach 5000-6000 they rise more slowly and can take longer than 4 days to double. Both of my losses were missed miscarriages (no bleeding or cramping) but I have read it is very common to bleed during pregnancy, sometimes on and off throughout the entire 40 wks. Hope this helps.
I am currently almost 9 weeks. I had my Hcglevel drawn 2 times 2 weeks ago and it went from about 13000 to almost 17000 in 2 days. At that time and ultrasound showed an empty sac but I decided to wait and two weeks later baby i s there with heart beat meausring what it should.

I would just take the wait and see approach. Some women do not double HCG like everyone else. ONly 80 % double in 2-3 days. Dont give up hope.
I had brown bleeding also.  evenually had what is called a missed m/c.  I had good fetal growth to 9 weeks and started spotting at 4 .  everything was fine then bleeding stopped baby had dies at 9 weeks we found out at 12.  keep the faith but be prepared.  miracles do happen.  brown blood, I was told, is never a good sign,  but there are people who have had brown blood to go on to have prefectly healthy babies..  good luck my prayers are with you.  Dana
THIS IS MY 2ND TIME GETTING PREGNET. BOTH AT 6 WEEKS I LOST THEM MY HGC DROPED LOW. WHAT DO I DO
My hormones didn't rise that fast either. I am currently 27w4d, so I think it just depends on your body and your baby.