Maternal & Child Community
Markers for Downs on U/S

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Markers for Downs on U/S

Hi all...just wondering if anyone can tell me what markers they look for when checking for Downs on U/S.  Are they absence of or presence of something -- or both depending on what it is?

Any input is appreciated!
the space at the nuchal fold is one and i heard something to do with the nasal bone, but i know that is not all. i believe the bone length measurements have something to do with it as well
my son had a white spot on his heart that was a soft marker for ds.  i believe it was an echogenic spot and it turned out to be a normal variant.  the problem w/ some markers is that the us are much stronger than they used to be back in the day (my dr told me this) and they see things that they normally never saw...a ds pregnancy would have been monitored closely and that is why they may have a list of markers.  now i know that some are known as stronger markers than others...my son was born healthy.  
I had the U/S last week...and also did the nuchal fold u/s at 12 w and AFP test at 16 w.  Both those came back at a decreased risk for my age.

They measured the femur (a bit longer than average), looked at the four chambers of the heart, the two kidneys and bladder.  The baby obviously has a nasal bone (and a very cute nose!).  They said everything looked good BUT did not specifically say anything about the "markers" I hear mentioned on the site...just didn't know if there was something else they should have checked for...or that I should have asked about...

Thanks for your input!
did you have a quad screen?? if so , what were your results?
My son also had a soft marker for down syndrome since they saw a spot of his heart, echogenic fochi.  After going to see a genetic specialist and several more ultrasounds, everything was fine and he is now a healthy two year old.  When they do ultrasounds for downs they check so many things. They check ear placement, pinky finger length, measure bones...there are just so many things they look at to see if there is more than one marker for downs.  In our case our son only had that one marker and downs was pretty much ruled out since they couldn't find anything else abnormal.  

I wish you all the best!
I think they also look at femur length - it is smaller in down's babies.