Maternal & Child Community
Mistaken Miscarriage???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Mistaken Miscarriage???

Okay, as many of you know the doctors told me that I started having a miscarriage as of Thursday.  In the ER on Thursday my hcg levels were 59.  I went to the doctor's office the next day and they just told me that my hcg level went up to 70.  It went up by 11 in less than 24 hours.  Has this ever happened to anyone?  Could it possible be an etopic pregnancy?  Or...I know I'm pushing it...could I still be pregnant?  Should I insist on having my hcg measured again?  The nurse that I talked to said that she would consult the doctor and let me know if I should come back in.  She is supposed to call me tomorrow.  What do you all think?
have you had an ultrasound, Have you had bleeding or cramping.
You can ask for another test or ask for an ultrasound. With the only m/c I had levels drawn on, they still went up for a few weeks before finally falling. Given the stage and doubling time, it does sound like a m/c is pending. In 24 hours they should have risen at least by 1/2 or to 25. I am sorry for you loss, it is hard to cope and I know how easy it is to cling to hope. Hopefully they can give you a better, more definitive answer soon.

Andi

It was too early to see anything on the ultrasound...and yes the bleeding picked up some this weekend and I was cramping pretty bad.  I am still bleeding now but it is light.  Could there possibly be another cause for the bleeding?
Could be another cause, but the numbers are still a little off. Ask for more tests. I was in limbo with my 4th loss and was miserable. Once I finally got the ultraosund that showed a blighted ovum, I felt at peace finally. I hated clinging to the hope everything was fine when I knew deep down it wasn't. the not knowing is far worse than getting the actual news.

Keep your chin up, maybe they will see something that changes their mind.

Andi
theres this EXCELLENT website.. its called www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com you should check it out.. =)
I just took another pg test but not with FMU or waiting for 4 hours and it's still positive--not a faint line either.  If my hcg levels were at 70 on friday and today is tuesday shouldn't the test be negative by now?  I read somewhere that they should drop by half every 24 hours after a miscarriage.  I'm so confused....
Not necessarily, it could be a blighted ovum whwere the levels will increase for a while before dropping off. Or it could be ectopic, where again, the levels could still steadily increase.

Self diagnosis is fruitless now, you really should talk to your doctor about this. I hope everything works out for you.

Andi

Thanks, I posted on that website earlier but haven't gotten any responses yet.  I looked for stories that were similiar to mine but could not really find anything, but I'm still checking.  I had accepted the fact that I had a miscarriage but now I'm not so sure.
The doc is supposed to call me tomorrow, but the nurse didn't even think that was necessary.  I think I am going to demand that they at least do another blood test.  That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.