Mucus at 38 weeks pregnant
I am just over 38 weeks pregnant and between 5 and 6 centimeters dialated! And still waiting! I have contrations 24 hours a day rarly more than 10 min apart. For a few hours a day they are 5 min or less. I have been contracting for months but the last month I have been very slowly dialatiang. (about a centimeter a week) For the last few weeks I have had increasing amounts of a clear mucus. Now there is always some after I go to the bathroom. Sometimes as much as a tablespoon or so. Recently the doc said I just have a very irratable utterus and did look at the mucus under a microscope. She doesn't seem worried. Could this be some infection? Anyone had anything like this?
First of all I'm surprised you're not in the hospital ready to have the baby being dilated that far. As for the discharge that's normal. It's your mucus plug most likely. I had mucus dicharge, sometimes clear, sometimes with blood in it for a month before having my last son. At 38 weeks it's fine to have the baby so if you're going through this I don't know why the doctor didn't put you in hospital to have the baby and put you on a pitosin drip if needed. You could go from 5 or 6 to ten in only a couple minutes. Happened to me. I ignored my contractions trying to wait til my appointment and be the time I got to the hospital I was at a six and in maybe about 30 minutes I had my baby boy. I was at a ten by the time I finished the paperwork and got my epidural but the doctor kept having me wait till he dropped more to push. In two pushes he was out. Congratulations on your soon to be baby. You're almost there.
My mucus plug came out in GOBS a few days before I had my baby at about 37 weeks.  I wasn't contracting and wasn't dialated so as my last check had said but blech.  When I went to the bathroom I mean there was GOBS of goo that was coming out!
My mucus plug wasn't clear, but was white like suet.  The clear discharge might just be the lining of the vagina throwing off some fluid, or similar for the cervix.  Once you get dilated to a certain point, there is not much for the plug to hold on to, so it should be ready to come out, but I'd be a little surprised if it comes out like a gentle flow of clear liquid.  My thought is that is something else.