Maternal & Child Community
Multiples? Or cysts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Multiples? Or cysts?

I went for my ultrasound yesterday - 8 weeks pregnant - they found the heartbeat & baby looks fine.  But, they have found a number of abnormalities which they describe as either "simple" cysts or possibly more babies. Um, if there are more babies would they not have been able to find heartbeats?

-Confused
If it were more babies and they were the same gestational age as the baby for whom a heartbeat was found, you'd expect them to also have heartbeats.  But it could have been that other embryos began and then stopped developing, or possibly (this is really rare) came later (after the first baby began) and also took hold.  Will you have another ultrasound in a few weeks?
Thanks for responding, yes I go back in 3 weeks for another ultrasound.  In the meantime my doc has me going in to check hcg levels every 5 days.