Maternal & Child Community
Newborn with low grade fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Newborn with low grade fever

Hello all!
My newborn (3 weeks old) has a low grade fever- it has dropped from 99.1 to 98.8. His face appears rather blotchy, but I am assuming that it is heat rash? I have made sure not to over dress him today and I have not swaddled him in a blanket. He has been fussy, but nothing that would suggest extreme discomfort. Now I also have a head cold and am assuming that it is what he has. I am nursing exclusively so I know he will be getting my antibodies. What, if anything, more should I do?
It is funny how, even though he is my second, I am unsure if what I am doing is correct!
At this young of an age, you need to call his dr ASAP.  Even the one on call if needed.  
If it gets to 99 again I would agree to call. ANY fever up until 2 months is unacceptable in Dr's eyes.
Update:
I took him to the Urgent care clinic because his pediatrician's office was closed. The doc was unconcerned with his temp, but did give him a nebulizer. I am supposed to go to the doc tomorrow so that we can have Mark tested for RSV.
Thanks all for your advice!
When I had Noah the doctor told me to only worry if his temp got up to 100 degrees. I know any fever is scary for an infant. I am glad he is ok.
Avatar n tn
My son had a low- grade fever at that age. We took him to the ER just in case. Turns out he had an urinary tract infection. Due to his young age, he stayed in the hospital for 7 days on antibiotics. I would definitely go see a doc.