Maternal & Child Community
No period ever, can I get pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

No period ever, can I get pregnant?

Hey all.
I'm 18 and I've never had a single period my entire life. Two years ago my doctor took a blood test and I had high levels of FSH and some other hormone with an L in it. I went to an endocrinologist, who did an ultrasound (everything was normal but she couldn't find my ovaries), and then gave me birth control. The side effects were crippling, and I didn't leave my bed for 3 days, and school started in a week, so I chose to stop taking them. Since then nothing has changed and I haven't been to a doctor again.
I'm currently developing more of a sex life and so I need to know what the chances are that I could become pregnant. No doctor ever bothered to tell me that, I guess because of my age, but now it is a big concern for me. Not because I want to be pregnant, but because I want to avoid pregnancy.
Thank you. :)
Where is your mother in all of this?  Isn't she concerned for you?  I would not have let it rest at 'the endocrinologist couldn't find my ovaries.'

After the endocrinologist could not find your ovaries, in your shoes the next thing I would want to do is get an MRI of my uterus and ovaries, just to be sure they are in place and normal.  I mean, gotta assume they are, but I hate it when a doctor just shrugs things off.  Once you are sure your ovaries are normal, the next question is whether the passage from the uterus to the vagina is clear, and whether the tubes are clear.  For that, I would request an HSG.

These are things to do for normal assessment (of where your missing periods are), not just because you are going to be having sex.  You don't even have to mention to your mother about the sexual activity to have her understand that you are concerned about where the heck your periods are.  Tell her you want to be sure you have functioning ovaries and no blockages.

Once you get some answers about what is causing your periods to be AWOL, you can then make a rational plan about birth control.  Since you don't know what's the matter now, you can't really address it (besides using condoms, of course, which you definitely should).
My mother moved out a while ago. Things are complicated.

I also don't have insurance anymore, so.. at this point I CAN'T do anything.

But I mean, without periods, is it even possible to get pregnant?
Also, I've never had any cramps or discharge or anything at all, which makes me feel as though I don't have any blockages.
Well, it makes me wonder about the function of your ovaries.

Regarding whether it is possible to get pregnant, yes, if you suddenly ovulated.  Ovulation leads the period, not the other way around -- a period will come 14 days after ovulation.  This does of course suggest you have not been ovulating.  However, it doesn't guarantee you won't start ovulating.
Mmhm.

Thank you!
No problem.  This is also a classic issue for women who have just had a baby.  Ovulation is suppressed for a while by childbirth, but how long it's suppressed varies in different women (even if breastfeeding, which folk wisdom thinks always suppresses ovulation).  Similarly to you, no period after having a baby doesn't mean no ovulation; it just means no ovulation so far.  But it could happen the next day.
I had an acquaintance in high school who never had a period,  ever,  and she has 2 kids now.  She hasn't had a period,  as I said,  ever.

I think it's extremely rare,  but some women may ovulate and just not build up lining on their uterus.  

The biggest concern is that the sonogram tech couldn't find your ovaries,  and then they went on to put you on the Pill.  ???   What happened there?  If they literally couldn't discover any ovaries,  that would be a huge thing that would require follow up in my opinion.

Not having insurance doesn't mean you can't have a regular check up and get on birth control.  Do you have a planned parenthood in your area?

Hi Fruitloop, I only have my period about twice a year but I have 2 children and had no problems conceiving. Lining in my uturus is Ok to get pregnant and my ovaries are fine, no cysts or anything. When I was on birthcontrol, I did have monthly bleeding, but those are just fake periods. I think it was a strange idea from your doctor to make you start birth control, just to make you bleed each month. This doesn't solve any possible problem and you still don' t have any answer on why you haven't started your period. Get insurance as fast as possible, you really need it, you never know when you might get sick or be in an accident. I was told that as long as you have developed from a girl to a woman (breasts, pubic hair), not much can be wrong. Take care and be safe!
When I was trying to conceive, I took primrose oil capsules both times, which are supposed to regulate your cycles. Don't know if they really help, but I got pregnant very quickly both times. So maybe this is worth a try for you to help you start your cycles. If I were you, I wouldn't take hormonal birth control, before you know everything is alright. You may not want kids right now, but this may change in the future. Also, a hormonal imbalance can cause other problems in short term (like facial hair and acne) and long term (like osteoporoses). I hope my posts don't scare you, as I said, you're probably fine, but please get checked and practise safe sex.
My doctor wasn't exactly the best, clearly, but he was the only one in the area that accepted my insurance.

There's a Planned Parenthood maybe two hours away. But college coming soon though, everything is very up in the air and money is super tight, and honestly no one in my family has taken an interest in what's happening with me. My sister told me to go to the doctor, but that's it. My medical issues take the back burner because my grandparents come first.

I'm very... Against medical intervention, and I accept the consequences of that.

His explanation for putting me on the pill was that if I didn't get estrogen, I wouldn't absorb calcium, which has obvious effects on the body.

Basically I'm being a (sort of) reckless kid and not being safe with sex, which is why I asked this.