Maternal & Child Community
OMG, read this. For all of us who lost a baby.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

WHAT MAKES A MOTHER

I thought of you and closed my eyes and prayed to God today
I asked "What makes a Mother?"
And I know I heard Him say.
"A Mother has a baby"
This we know is true
"But God can you be a Mother,
When you baby is not with you?"
"Yes, you can" He replied
With confidence in His voice
"I give many women babies,
When they leave it is not their choice.
Some I send for a lifetime,
And others for a day.
And some I send to feel your womb,
But there is no need to stay."
"I just don't understand this God
I want my baby to be here."
He took a deep breath and cleared His throat,
And then I saw a tear.
"I wish I could show you,
What your child is doing today.
If you could see your child's smile
With all the other children and say...
'We go to Earth to learn our lessons,
Of love and life and fear.
My Mommy loved me so much ,
I got to come straight here.
I feel so lucky to have a Mom,
Who had so much love for me.
I learned my lessons very quickly.
My Mommy set me free.
I miss my Mommy oh so much,
But I visit her every day.
When she goes to sleep,
On her pillow is where I lay.
I stroke her hair and kiss her cheeck,
And whisper in her ear.
Mommy don't be sad today.
I'm your baby and I'm here.'
"So you see my dear sweet ones,
Your children are okay.
Your babies are born in My home,
And this is where they'll stay.
They'll wait for you with Me,
Until your lesson's through.
And on the day that you come home
They'll be at the gate for you.
So now you see what makes a Mother.
It's the feeling in her heart
It's the love you had
Tags: Baby, maternal
OMG!  That is so nice...it brought tears to my eyes!!!  Where did you find that??
It's the feeling in her heart
It's the love you had so much of
Right from the very start
Though some on earth may not realize,
You are a Mother,
Until their time is done.
They'll be up here with Me one day
And know you are the best one!"

Author unknown

sorry...the poem got cut off (max lines allowed). I wanted to share this with everyone, as it made me cry. It's amazing how the pain of losing a pregnancy never leaves you.

Feel free to use this as an open forum.
same here - thank you so much for sharing it!
I found it on motheringdotcommune archives. I had trouble reading it the 1st time.
that was beautiful. it brought tears to my eyes. trying to blink them back since i'm at work. kind of brought an air of peace for a second there reading it. thank you for sharing it.
OMG this is a beautiful poem.  I also got very teary when I read this poem.  I lost twin girls on Dec. 9, 2005 when I was 6 months pregnant.  This was my first pregnancy and how I miss carrying my babies in me.  Thank you so much for such a beautiful poem.  I am going to print it out and put it in a frame.  God bless you.
Yes, I remember reading about your losses. I am so very sorry, I can't even imagine. I've never been very religious, although raised catholic, but in the last couple years, having had a couple m/c's myself, I believe that God works in mysterious ways, and some things are out of our hands.

Make sure also that you read my 2nd posting as it has the remainder of the poem. God bless you as well.
I loved that poem!  It made me cry, but it is so sweet, thank you I will share that with my friends who are going through the same thing.  For the person who just wrote above... you sound pregnant, a friend of mine didn't get a positive test for a long time, she had to have the blood test confirm it.  And yes, wanting to be pregnant so bad and trying so hard can make you develop symptoms.  I am sorry, it must be agonizing not knowing whether you really are or not, I know it would drive me crazy too.
Very sweet poem, but it made me cry at work!!  Trying to compose myself!
Thank you so much for that. I am going to print it out so DH can see it. That was one of the most beautiful things I have read. Now, let me try to wipe these tears away!!!
Wow, that is such a beautiful poem although it made me sob hysterically...thank god I am home alone.  Thanks for sharing that.
I started crying, I couldn't help it, but it's so beautiful!
Thank you SO much for posting that.  It made me cry, too, but that has happened to me 3 times in the past couple of weeks.  I am 38 yrs. old and had a miscarriage in October 2005.  My husband and I were advised not to try again until January.  In January, I had just quit my job (as to be less stressed out when trying to make babies!) when my husband's mother died, so we were stressed once again.  I was late for my period that month, which was understandable due to stress.  We have been trying to get pregnant ever since.  I am late today 5 days with no sign of a period (other than very light pink / brown discharge a couple of days.  I am moody, bloated, get hot rather easily, have had weird taste cravings and aversions, and feel completely exhausted, and have had some light nausea, similar to what I experienced when pregnant before.  I have had 2 negative HPTS, taken a couple of days ago.  I have been going crazy wondering if I'm pregnant or not.  Randomly, a woman manager at the grocery store told me I was pregnant when I was picking up the test!  Very strange.  I have read all these other comments about people being late and then ending up pregnant once they took the blood test, or even after being late for more than 5 days.  My question is that when someone wants to be pregant this badly, could some of this be psychosomatic?  Has anyone recently had this happen?  I am driving myself crazy obsessing over this but it's hard not to once you've had a M/C at age 38!  Please help. Thanks!
Man...that is the sweetest poem I have ever read. It brought back all of the horrible memories when I gave birth to my still born son at 20 weeks in 2001, but it does give you a reassuring feeling that the little ones that you lose are still with you.
I am so sorry that it made all of you cry. It made me cry hysterically as well. Thank God my DH wasn't home, as he would've probably thought I was crazy. As some of you may remember, I myself had a D&C done at 10weeks on March 2nd, then a chemical pregnancy (my 1st AF) on April 28th. Some pain just never leaves us. I also had a m/c on November 9th, 2004, September 4th, 2002, and again in May 1996. I have 2 children here with me on earth.

I just wanted to share this with everyone, as I thought many of us could relate.
Thank you