Maternal & Child Community
Pain at incision site after c-section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pain at incision site after c-section

Have any you experienced pain after c-section - I'm talking about TWO YEARS later.  My child will be 2 later this month.  I was in constant pain, esp. at the incision site on the left side, for the first 6 mos, my ob thought it might be a internal suture that didn't disolve.  The pain went away but then came back big time more than a year later.  I've had several sonograms and an MRI - my ob is stumped.  I have rheumatiod arthritis, so I thought it might have something to do with that, but my rheumatologist doesn't think so.  Sometimes the pain is sharp, while other times it feels more like contractions across my scar.  It is constant and I'm taking pain killers every day. Both drs are recommending surgery, but for what?  I don't want to be sliced open again if I don't have to.  Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!
my c section scar from 8 years ago bothers me from time to time. mine is because of scar tissue. scar tissue can cause pain, but i would think your dr's would have thought of that. have they considered endometriosis? really they can find symptoms but cant tell you for sure unless they go in. im sorry you are going through so much pain, and its not good to stay on pain killers for so long. i hope they figure it out for you and soon.
MY C-SECTION WAS 17MONTHS AGO. STILL PAINFULL ALONG THE INCISION. EXPECIALLY ON THE LEFT SIDE ALSO. MY DOCTOR IS STUMPED OR SHOULD I SAY DUMB-FOUNDED. WHEN I LAY ON MY LEFT SIDE IT FEELS LIKE IM LAYING ON SOMETHING. WHEN I WAS PREGNANT, I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE BABY'S HEAD AND THEN IT WAS HIS SPINE. WELL I HAVE THE BABY SITTING HERE. NOW WHAT. OH YEAH DID I SAY THIS WAS MY FIRST CHILD AT 41 YEARS OLD!
AND HE IS VERY HEALTHY.
It has been 2 years and 10 months since my c-section and I have pain in my left side, directly on my scar.  Especially if I have been exercising my lower abs.  I found a small bumb there and I think it is an infection around the suture.  I'm going to the doctor soon to see if we can get rid of it.  Check yourself for any bumbs, maybe its an infection.
My youngest son is 8, and I still have a burning sensation at times on the left side of my incision. I also had that side rupture way back early after, so I'm pretty sure it is scar tissue that dosen't "give" as much as the rest of my skin. If you are in pain to where you need meds, you should opt. for the surgery.
I had pain for 4 years after my last c/s.  My youngest is now 6 and is no longer constant, but it does still bother me, and it just stinks!  Something they don't tell you about when they get you to agree.  I'm sorry.  You likely have adhesions (scar tissue) and the surgery is adeholysis.  I saw a dr. who said she could do it, but I might get adhesions from the surgery to remove the old tissue, so I decided not to put myself through it.
I just wanted to update my situation.   I went to the doctor and they removed the lump from my stomach.  It was a short surgery that resulted in a large hematoma.  I finally got the results of my biopsy and it indicated endometrysosis.  Apparently I had some uturus hanging out still! Doctors aren't perfect I guess. Nonetheless, my pain is gone and I am healed there. I have an appt. with the gyn to make sure I can still have children or something. HOpe this is helpful.
my youngest will be 2 this summer, and i am 22 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child.  my c-section scar is still numb...i still have pain and tingling. my doctor said it could be YEARS on end...it's a very sensitive area, and there are alot of nerves involved. if you think about it, it is major abdominal surgery...and everyone is different.
maybe try a topical anesthetic to relieve your pain if it gets that bad.
I had a C-section 5 yrs back,I feel pain at the incision of the left side after my periods & it usually disappears after 1week,10 days or so.The pain is slight & bearable.I've consulted Gynocologist, they say thai its scar endometrisis&surgery is reqired.Can any esteemed Gyno pls advise whether I should opt for surgery or could it be cured by medicine.How about Ayurveda,can it be cured by this.Pls advise what's the best treatment for scar endometrisis.
I had the same pain almost 2 years after my c-section.  Within a year a lump had formed at the site.  Surgery removed the mass and biopsied it.  It was Endometrial tissue.  I was diagnosed with Endometriosis.  Apparentely, some Endometrial tissue escaped during the c-section and attached itself to the outside wall of my abdomen.
The doctors took a really long time closing me up after having my daughter by c section.  I was in the operating room prabably another hour after they delivered her.  They explained that they had a hard time closing my incision back up becuase it wouldn't stop bleeding. A few days after going home I noticed that the whole right side of my stomach was purple.  When I went to have my staples removed the nurse could not believe that my stomach looked that way.  She even went as far as to ask which Dr did the surgery. I also bled very heavy for 8 weeks after I had her and passed clots so big that I could feel them coming out.(I only bled 4 weeks and not heavy at all with my first child, who was also born by ceserean)  I would call the nurses at the ob/gyn office and they would tell me that I had a c section and there was no way any placenta was left in me, therefore, there is no way I was passing clots like that... (they basically treated me like I was lying) I continued to have painful, heavy periods, and eventually they became so painful that I had to do something about it.  I had a pain that I would describe as burning, stabbing, and sometimes it felt as if someone was taking their fingernails and scratching at my insides.  It would begin a few days before my period would begin and end a few days after my preiod (period) was over.  I went to a few doctors and had vaginal ultrasound, after vaginal ultrasound done and everyone treated me as if I were crazy.  Finally my primary care physician referred me to another gyno.  He wanted to see me while I was on my period.  I went in and as soon as he stuck the ultrasound to my abdomen (where my c section incision was) and instanly saw it.  I was so happy that I cried, someone besides me really knew that I was not crazy and that I was indeed in the pain that I was telling everyone I was in.  My daughter was 2 years old when I had the surgery to remove the endometriosis from the incision (yes, it was biopsied and it was in fact endometriosis). The doctor told me that there was a very high chance that it would return, and also told me that there was a high chance that there was more endometriosis inside of me.   My daughter is 8 years old now and the pain has not returned to the incision site, but I have had extremely heavy periods with pain.  I also have not been able to concieve (conceive) since giving birth to my daughter.  Around 8 months ago my friend told me about mirena (an iud with progestrone in it, it is actually called an iuc I believe) She said that her periods actually stoped.  She had me convinced.  My gyno did not put in IUD's so I decided to call another.  BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I bled the whole 8 months that I had it in.  I finally conviinced the new gyno to remove it.  That was a week ago today.  I spotted after I had it removed until  2 days later. I woke up covered in blood and when i went to the bathroom and pulled my pants down a huge clot landed on the floor!!!!!!!! I continued to bleed heavy, but it wasnt' quite the pad an hour that the dr requires, until the next morning, I woke up the same way, except, it didn't slow. The pain was so intense that I felt like I was going to throw up.  I finally went to the er the next morning after ruining countless numbers of panites/pants. I even had to change clothes at the er.  They took my blood and did a pelvic exam.  My blood levels were on the low side of normal, and the pelvic exam didn't show lesions.  So they sent me home.  I finally called up the first gyno.  Today I went and he gave me a high dose of premarin to take.  He took blood samples and I am scheduled to do and ultrasound next week.  I hope that there is some answer to my heavy periods.  I hope he finds out if I actually do have endometriosis in other parts and I hope that whatever is wrong with me can be treated.
I must say this has happened to me also. My daughter was born in November of 2007. I had pain every since then, that got worse and worse, kinda like you are explaining. only i had a knot under my incision, as well. Well I had surgery about two weeks ago to remove the knot, and when the results from testing that knot came back, it indicated that i had endometriosis of the incision. Rare, but true. I feel better, but still have to be treated to avoid pain, and more complications with abnormal growths
To the ones who have had surgery for endometriosis how long was the procedure, how long were u in the hosp, what was the recovery time, would u recommend it, if u had it to do all over again would u? My daughter in 14 months and I have been having severe burning pain on the right side of my c section scar. I have had 2 trigger point injections(marcaine and decadron) injected into the knot in my incision. It helps for about 2 days then the pain in back. I am hesitant about the surgery but I need some relief. My ob told me it would probably take 2-3 injections to help after that he recommended surgery.
i had cesarean last year june,my daughter is now 10 months old,and i`m using nur-strate.but i am not getting my period i am just spotting the whole month sometimes its brownish sometimes its red and i also have pains in my incision site,between my legs.i am thinking about going to the doctor but i am scared.has any body experienced what i am,please email me your answer to ***@****
i had a c-section on 2/18/10 and now 10 weeks later i am still having pain around the incision, my stomach above the incision is numb i cant feel anything above it.  the pain i am having is not in the center of the incision but on both sides of it.  i called my doc and she said that it is a nerve caught in the scar tissue, and she is giving me steroid shots in the incision to stop the pain.
I see most of you are complaining of pain along your scar line. I had my baby (emerg c-section) 10 months ago and my pain seems to be in my uterus. When I sit down or move a certain way I sometimes have to jump up because of shooting pain in my lower abdomen. My doctor says its normal and is probably swelling and bruising.......10 months later?!! The pain knocks the wind out of me at times and hurts when I walk up stairs. I cant see how this is normal.
Eight (8) years after giving birth by c-section... I still have pain inside if I stretch too much or 'move the wrong way'. It's weird, it feels like I'm tearing something inside.  Since this time, my husband and I have never used any type of birth control.  I've not been pregnant since the c-section ) :
I had a c--section in November 2007.  My incision ruptured with a hospital-borne staph infection & 2 days after being released from the hospital, my scar busted open like a water balloon.  (Sorry so graphic but I can't think of another way to describe it)  My husband rushed me to the ER & all they could do was drain it & send me home with some antibiotics.  I went to the OB the next morning & he had to pack the scar every day for a week.  It took almost 8 months for my incision to completely close since it had to heal from the inside out & that's not all!  I still have pain at the incision sight & occasionally the scar will come apart on the left side & I bleed.  

I had another child in April of 2009 VBAC at home with a midwife, complication free!  Best decisiion of my life but I still have problems with my scar, and am now having trouble with it separating & bleeding again.  
I had a c-section 14 years ago and I still get pain when I move too much. The area around the scar is still somewhat numb. My guess is when the nerves are cut it never heals right. My issue now is the skin around the scar has become paper thin and is tearing. I am not sure what to do about that. Its near the panty line so friction is not helping. Any ideas as to why its gotten so thin and tearing? I need to inquire with my gyno about endometriosis.
I had my first c-section 19 years ago and I have always had off and on pain at that site. When I had my 2nd one (18 years ago), it was about the same. My c-section 3 years ago is the same way. Sometime the sites are sensitive but other times you could hit it with a jackhammer and it wouldn't hurt it! You may have some scar tissue built up. Scar tissue may be pressing on a nerve, causing the pain. You also may have somehow caused the muscle tissue to seperate more, which causes pain. Ask him to put you on a light muscle relaxer and see if that works. It should. Hope it helps you!
I had a c-section 4 months ago i thought there was something wrong with me when i had mild pains still when i press on top of the incision
how about this one i have had 2 c sections the first was infected year later ended up having another one son is 2 daughter is 1 and now insincion is bright red rash and foul smelling to it when i dabbed a cloth over it cloth being white it was yellow and brown. now what don't have a way to hospital if i do don't have a way to hotel relocating the first any advice or answers would be helpful thank you
That sounds like an infected incision sight to me! I have that problem every now and then after having my daughter 11 months ago! It certainly is not a pleasant smell or sight with the colors!

Clean it every couple of hours and try your best to keep it dry and if need be, try some baby rash ointment on it! Goodluck! :)
I had another c-section on November 27, 2009 (making it my 3rd c-section) and for this one I was put completely under because after 6 attempts at my spinal there was no more that I could handle so I told them just to put me under. Well, obviously being my 3rd c-section I have quite a bit of scar tissue built up but I have never in my life experienced this pain/problem.

A little background on this c-section. The day I was discharged from the hospital they took my staples out, I had a total of 14 staples and after removing half of those staples (7) the nurse realized that the right side of my incision was still partially open, so she went and talked with the doctor and he said to leave the remaining 7 staples in and return to my "family physician" in 5 days to have the rest removed! So I did, and my incision was still partially open, but the staples had to be removed so that my skin would not grow over them. My incision remained open for a total of 10 1/2 weeks before finally closing and ever since then I have had severe pain in the right side of my incision scar.

Up until last week I just dealt with the pain, but I could no longer take it, I felt like somebody was stabbing or ripping me from the inside out and I finally called to make an appointment with my family physician and he ordered an ultrasound on my abdomen over that side of my incision and gave me a prescription of Tramedol to help ease the pain! Today, I spoke with one of his nurses and she told me that the ultrasound revealed that I have severe swelling in the incision scar area but that there are no abrasions or lesions! Well yes, that is great to know but I would like to know WHAT is causing the severe swelling or at least have some idea and I got nothing from her! Nor did she say my doctor wants me to follow up with him! Ugh, this purely frustrates me because I don't understand what could be causing the severe swelling if there is no abrasion or lesion there!

Has anyone ever experienced this before?
i had a c-section 3 years ago. ever since i had my daughter i have been in sever pain on my scar with a big lump on top. sometimes it is so bad i have to topple over in pain and i start to cry. i also have a lump about the size of golf ball if not a little bigger under my scar. i have been to the doctors and they say it is nothing to worry about. just recently i have started to bleed on my scar from the lump on top. if anyone knows why this is happing to me can u please help thank you
Well, I have had three c-sections..the first one was emergency..then after that I just opted to do so rather than have two places messed up on my body.  Crazy thinking, huh?
The first one..was miserable..as I had a fever (from a UTI) at the time..and it took them a bit to figure out what was going on w/ me and therefore I couldn't hold my baby til the next day!
(the emergeny delivery being due to the cord around her neck btw)
I had afterward the most terrible pains in my stomache the next 17 months, I was told it was gas pains..and just basically the guts settling back into place.  Then I was pregnant with my second one...this was a breeze, no problems what-so-ever.  I even right after having him would go to the nursery and get him myself...no pain killers..it was great and the doctors made a joke when they saw me in the hall bringing my baby to my room that I was gonna be the poster girl for c-section mom's.  

Four years later, came my third child...he was born one month early..I was in the hospital that entire last month.  Kept trying to go into labor at home 2 mo. early.  While my doctor was doing the section..I could hear him saying, "oh wow, there's his ear."  I thought whoa..that was fast b/c he'd just started cutting.  Well, it wasn't b/c he was there yet but he could see through my uterus b/c it was so thin.  It never healed properly the prior two times!
I had no idea.  He told me it's a good thing I didn't want anymore b/c I couldn't carry them anyway.  He delivered my baby..did my tubaligation, sewed me back up..stapled me up..CROOKED..a little bit!
He told me I could never lift anything over 40 lbs the rest of my life or I risk tearing myself open.  (I can't say I have followed that advice..I'm a mom!!)
I have had some pain ever since..it's been 10 years..nearly 11.  When I run the vaccuum..I can feel a pulling sensation to the left of my scar..usually that's the only spot..and it is scary.
I try not to lift things..but sometimes..I don't have a choice.  I always pay for it later though.  It will burn so much.  Lately it's been kind of pulling inside around the incision..and my stomache has been itching on the left side..like on top of where it burns..is that weird or what?  The scar itself does not itch.  Anybody think the two of these things are related? (the itching and the burning)
I am 27 years old and have had three c-sections. My youngest will be three in September and I am experiencing pains in my stomach and on the right side of my scar from the surgeries. I am dumbfounded about how this could be. My right side is extremely sensitive right now. It hurts when you just brush against it. I am considering going to my doctor on Monday to get this checked out,  but if anyone else is experiencing this and have already seen a doctor I am open for suggestions.
My little one is two years old an I have pains in my lower abdomen it feels like menstral cramps it goes an comes mostly an its bin two years sine my c-section I'm 22 years an I. have bin trying to get pregnant agen an I have not bin sucessfuLl at all.anyone has any insights to share.
my last c section was nine yrs ago and I still have pain along my scar. I also have problems with my back where they gave my epidoral
Wow well at least I know I am not alone. I have a 'specialist' trying to figure out whether to give me nerve meds, because they 'think' maybe a nerve issue. I will be book marking this site! It will be 2 yrs since csection end of this month.
My youngest son is 12. I'm in constant pain and can hardly stand at times as I'm in so much pain. Keep going back to my GP but get told the same thing everytime, that it's the scar tissue from my emergency c-section that I had with my 12 year old. Surely this isn't right
October 2011 will make 2 years for my C-section, I told my GYN about the tingling, numbness around the incision and the pain on the left side of the incision line. He said it sounds like scar tissue and today i went in and he gave me a steroid shot on the left side of my incision. three hours later the pain tripped, it is feeling like it felt maybe three weeks after my c section. I fell cheated because i had no decision because it was an emergency c-section. i want to have more children but i'm afraid of another c section, I'm only 27 years old. I am thinking everyone in having the most pain on the left side because it is where most doctors began the incision meaning it could be the deepest part of the incision.
I had a C-section across from my hip bone to hip bone and after 20 some years I still have pain like I am being cut open without medication They are wanting to do Hysterectomy on me so I had pelvic ultrasound and it hurt so much curious if there was other women out there with same problem as mine
Yesss! This the exact pain it sounds like what i'm feeling, it's sudden and sharp and in my vaginal area and it makes me jump if i'm sitting and yes it does seem like it takes the wind out of you!
My son is going to be 10 months old on the first of dec... i had an emergency c section and it seemed to have healed well but i've been having all sorts of pains. some are dull and pulsating on the right side of my scar, some pains i get are sharp and shoot down to my vagina and makes me jump and can take a few seconds to subside. i keep reading how women are having pains YEARS after c sections. i'll lightly push on my lower abdomen area and there is always a a strong dull pain no matter where i push down there but seems to be stronger on my right side. are these normal pains that others are feeling? should i be worried about this?
i had emergency c section my daughter was ripped out of me two months early ive had serious complications with my scar 12 half weeks after id been telling maidstone hospital i had a big lump purtruding on my right side then another appeared on my left they took no notice discharged me 4 days after having my bubba she was left in scbu and i then had to do the 43 mile round trip to the hospital 3 times a day the doctors then tol me i damaged myself by doing to much and sitting in the car for to long etc but hey what was i suppose to do my daughter needed me if they wasnt in such a rush to discharge me id be fitter now well anyway i finally got to see my gp who REFUSED TO TOUCH IT because its so dangerous my tummy could unfold like a knitting pattern i had ultrasound thursday just gone and the sonographer said OH DEAR ITS GLOWING WHITE I HAVE TO STOP THE EXAMINATION I DONT WANT TO CAUSE ANY FURTHER DAMAGE !!! i already have pcos and endimitrisis all through me right to my bowel and bladder im seriously distressed no onw seems to want to give an answer as to what these are but are saying i will be needed urgent surgery my haeds a mess my baby is now home and doing well but i cant move on from our trauma like this
I had a c-section in march of 1997... since about 2002 i have had issues with what i call a "hotspot" on the right side of my incision scar. It feels like someone is holding a flame to my skin.  It used to only happen when my period would come... it had gotten to the point where it hurt to walk while i was on my period.... now it burns alot more frequently... almost a constant thing. Doc's dont seem to want to take the time to find out whats going on...
Emmilu:  What you describe sounds like an "incisional endometrioma" (I.E.), a complication from a C-section. It happens when endometrial cells (from the lining of the uterus) "escape" during the C-section and implant elsewhere, often on the edge of the scar.  Gradually, the implanted cells grow into a hard lump, which may become more painful over time.

The reason I know about this is that I had three c-sections, and now have an I.E. myself.  Having been a researcher/writer, and being familiar with medical terminology, I did some research.  The medical articles I've seen basically say that when you find a hard lump on the edge of the C-section, and the pain varies with menstrual cycle (e.g., may be worse during your period), then it usually turns out to be an I.E.

I have heard that sometimes women with symptoms near the scar go back to their OB/gyn, the one who did the C-section, and the OB/gyn will not want to admit it, because it implies they did something wrong... so the problem goes undiagnosed.  But many times, the doctor honestly doesn't know what the problem is, since it is relatively rare. I had the impression that OB/gyns may only see a handful of these in their entire career, so an older, more experienced one is more likely to have encountered the problem and more likely to be able to figure out if I.E. is what you have.

My OB/gyn is very good and my last C-section was a difficult one. I know he did the best he could, given the circumstances, so I don't blame him.  If your doctors have not been able to diagnosis your problem and help you, perhaps you should consult an OB/gyn in a different practice, preferably one with many years of experience.

The recommended treatment is surgery to remove the I.E. It sounds like the surgery is usually simple.  If they get in there, and find the growth affects abdominal muscles, the surgery can become a little more complex.

My OB/gyn sent me to a general surgeon who he says is very good, but I felt uncomfortable with him, so found a different surgeon.  Today, I am waiting for a call back from his office to schedule the surgery, since I have done my homework, feel this is the best decision, and I am getting tired of the burning pain sensations.  Good luck to you, and to all of the people posting here -- hang in there until you find the right doctors (there are some out there), the right answers, and treatment that will help you.
hi it could be thrush ... i know it sounds odd but had the same issue the gp gave me some caniston and it went away and have it once since in the warm weather and i just used caniston once again and it was soon gone again
I'm having severe pain in my incision area. my son is 7 months and I have RA. I started working out doing the Power 90 program, which is low impact, and so i don't know if the pain is from that or if there is something wrong. I have little knots under my scar and it is really tender when it's touched. i've had consistant pain for about 2 days now ranging between a 7 and a 9. I think i'm going to go to ER. but after reading some of your stories I am freaking out a little bit!
"MY WIFE IS HAVING A SHAPE PIN LIKE PAIN IN SIDE HER BODY( right side)   AFTER A C SECTION WHAT MAY BE THE COURSE?
My son will be nineteen months old an im still have unbearable pain but its all the way acrossed my entire scar. It seriously feels like im being cut open all over again an then being stabbed several times. Is this normal?
I had a C Section 3 years ago for my daughter. Obviously I was experiencing normal pain from that. However, the right side ALWAYS hurt 10x more than the rest of the incision. I figured maybe that side tore a little bit when they took her out. Well here we are three years later, not only has the pain not gone away, it has gotten worse. It's still on the right side. There is a lump there that sticks out, sometimes it swells out further than other times. I've been dealing with that. Starting yesterday, the skin is painful to touch in that area. It has a burning sensation. It hurts to sit, stand, or even if anything brushes up against it. I see a lot of people have had this problem and it seems the only option is surgery. Has anyone found a better answer??
your problem sound just like mines. I had a c section in 1999 and today is 10/13/2013 the are have open up on the right side just a little and giving me pain what do i need to do about this because this is scaring me.
Talk to your doctor. It's possibly just scar tissue that needs to be removed.
I had my 4th c section 21months ago, I have numbness above my scar, but have had a burning feeling on the right side that extends up to my hip, where it ends in a sharp pinched sort of pain. my scar hurts like a pinched nerve during periods :-(
I just had my son July 25th 2013 and today its almost 8 months later and im having really sharp pain and burning sensations across my c-section scar. I have had a sonogram which said there was nothing wrong but now they are talking about an MRI to look at the scar tissue. I had a hematoma about a week or so after having him and it took about 4 to 6 weeks to heal it was 2 inches deep and 2 inches long. It hurt soo bad. I still do not understand why i am having these pains now. This is my 3rd child 1st c-section. I hope the doctors figure out what is wrong because i seriously cant live like this!!!
Had 3 c sections. Same type of pain left incisional site, numb at times, unbelievably itchy and burning at other times and severe stinging pain after period, exercise, stretching etc. feels like raw open wound. Only got pain 2 yrs after each section, in between those times I had no pain. I can feel a small lump at incision site Was put on contraceptive pill which relieved it for a while but once I started abdo exercises pain came back as bad as ever. ? endometriosis, is surgery advisable? Does it help?
Oh my god, this sounds just like me.  I had my first c-section 18 years ago with no trouble at all. Then 4 years later I had my second one, and they stapled me instead of stitching me and that is when the trouble began.  I did not heal properly, and started having severe pain at the scar site.  I describe it as if i've been freshly cut and stitched up.  It all happens around my period, starts a few days before and can go on for up to two weeks after.  A recent ultrasound showed nothing untoward, but I am just trialling Mirena to see if it will stop me bleeding and in turn stop the pain.
Claire
Hamilton
New Zealand
Ladies, take note if the pain is more during change of season like when it is really cold or hot.
I had a painful lump that turned out to be an endometrium implant from the time of my cesarean. Fact, scar tissue doesn't cause pain! Demand an Ultrasound or MRI to check the vascularity on the lump.
Here is my story and why it's important not to let your painful lump undiagnosed!

During my cesarean section, I was implanted with endometrium tissue (uterus lining) in my abdominal rectus muscle. I spent the next three years in extreme pain. I was seen by OBGYNs and general physicians for my lump and symptoms in over 30 visits, only to be undiagnosed or misdiagnosed over those three years. I kept telling the doctors to check my lump, but the doctors kept saying, “Scar tissue has no symptoms.”

None of my doctors ever checked to confirm that the lump was not scar tissue. During those three years my lump grew. When I finally got diagnosed the doctors told me that the lump was an endometrioma mass that grew and attached to my abdominal rectus muscle. When I had my surgery to remove the mass, surgeons had to remove 8 cm of my muscle, the muscle sheath, vein complex and the inferior epigastric artery.
I no longer have pain from the endometrioma mass, but I am left with a permanent herniated stomach, incapacitated from many daily activities, and cannot carry another pregnancy. I have no pelvic endometriosis; the endometrioma mass found in my abdomen was the direct implantation of my endometrium cells during my cesarean.
It affects women with no concomitant pelvic endometriosis. It is also known as incisional endometriosis and abdominal wall endometriosis.