Maternal & Child Community
Panick Attacks ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Panick Attacks ?

Hello All, I'm 28 weeks and for about a week now have been getting these really bad panick attacks, i get dizzy like i'm going to pass out my heart starts racing i feel like i can't breath and i just have to stop what i'm doing even driving sometimes. I have an appt on the 12th and i will mention this to him but should i be worried is this normal?
Do you have a panic disorder or panic attacks when you're not pregnant? I was just reading about this the other day. I read that they do sometimes get worse when you're pregnant. I know, panic attacks are AWFUL and I can't imagine they would be any better being pregnant. I hope you can at least breathe through them and calm yourself down once they do happen. Good luck!!
I've had a handful of attacks and my worst ones were in early pregnancy. I had to go to the ER as I thought I was having a heart attack. I was told that I could take antianxiety meds like ativan to help ease the anxiety but I opted to suffer instead! Seriously though, you should speak to a doctor before the 12th since your symptoms can stem from other things and because your symptoms are impeding on your ability to function normally I.e. Driving. Very best of luck.
I've had a few of these myself in the past month or so...I didn't realize they could be due to the pregnancy.
I get this terrible "I don't belong" feeling (hard to explain, but it is overwelming). I feel panicked, and don't know what to do with myself. My heart races, and it's hard to calm down.

I just thought it was due to daily stress and perhaps being out of my "territory" when I went out of state for the holidays. Being around a lot of people I don't see regularly (and meeting a lot of new people) was exhausting.

But I've had one since I've been home, too. I told my husband one day that I needed to take a minute to recollect myself, because I was about to pass out, and didn't even know why...and that I had these overwhelming feelings of being out of place or something.

It's really scary. If you talk to your doctor, let me know what he/she says. I'm interested to know what they say.
I have had those in my past but not while pregnant although in early pregnancy my heart started racing and would not stop or let down.  Does yours stop or slow down?  If so, just talk to your doctor about dealing with the panic.  If your heart continues to race that could be something more serious like what I had.  Artirial Fibrulation (spell) it was caused my the pregnancy.  I was hospitalized for 9 days.  I have a healhty heart it just was having a hard time keeping up with the overflow of fluids due to the pregnancy.
thanks all. i will place a call in to my Dr. and keep you posted.
They found I have a small hole in my heart, as well as a heart murmer (hm due to pregnancy, hole...not sure if it was never noticed OR due to the pregnancy).

Do you think this could have something to do with the heart racing thing for me?
I am not sure, they checked my heart to be sure there was no damage after they finally got my ticker beating normal again - It took 9 days :( and they said it was ok, no damage so I guess it could cause damage or else they would not have checked.  What do they do for a hole in your heart?
I'm glad they were able to fix you! I'm sure it sucked being in the hospital for 9 days though! :-/

As for me, the doctor says that I should be fine during the pregnancy. It causes me to feel more fatigued at times (can you get any MORE fatigued during pregnancy?), especially when I try to do too much. I had to stop going to excercise class because I could barely make it through two routines! :-(  
At home, it's all I can do to get to the top of the stairs without feeling like I'm going to pass out, so I have to sit on the bed for a moment and catch my breath. And I've only gained 18 pounds so far, so it's very hard for me to accept my immobility! LOL I'm used to being full of energy, and running up and down those steps with ease!

Anyway, the dr told me not to worry, that everything should be fine, then turned around and said that after I have the baby, he wants me to take aspirin every day, to reduce my chances of having a stroke, since having this condition can "up" the risk...??? Oh yeah, I'll TRY not to worry! :-)

Well, as long as I don't have a heart attack while pushing the baby out, I guess I'll be fine, huh?! haha!

Tell them during delivery that you have a heart problem and need EXTRA drugs.  haaha

I tell my doctor that now and he laughs at me.  He said you HAD a heart problem stop looking for pain relief.  haha

The stoke thing is very scary, I am still on heart meds because they are afraid that fibrulation will come back.  If it comes back and I dont get treatment in time I can have a stroke or heart attack.  (nice huh) So I take my pills like clockwork.  

It is very scary to think what could happen but you will be fine.  They are going to try to take me off of the meds after delivery when my body is back to normal.

Good Luck to you.  Watch that panic feeling - if it comes back call your doctor that is how mine started.  

How far along are you?
I'll be 25 weeks this Saturday...

And you're right...maybe I'll be able to milk the heart thing and get extra drugs! LOL
But then again, they may say that SINCE I have a heart condition, I can't have as MANY drugs! Ugghhh!! :-(  
What a backfire THAT would be! haha!