Maternal & Child Community
Pelvic Rest after M/C?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pelvic Rest after M/C?

Hello,   It's me again with yet another question. I just had a M/C last week. I was 6 weeks along. I'm ready to try again as soon as the bleeding stops, which seems like any minute now. I've gotten so much encouregement here by learning that it was possible to concieve (conceive) directly after a m/c. But today I went for a follow up appointment with a random doctor cause mine was busy. He told me to be on pelvic rest for four weeks. That is crazy for one thing cause it's already been two weeks for my hubby. Do they just have to say that so I won't sue them if I got an infection? How is sex going to cause infection? He's clean. Then the doctor asked me if I had any questions so I asked if I should wait a cycle before I ttc again. He said that was what they told people to do in the past and that there was no reason to now. So I dunno, I don't think I'll be doing the pelvic rest thing. What do you guys think?
Hello
I had a m/c in Aug at 7 weeks, I also had a D&C. I was told pelvic rest for 2 weeks after the surgery, I only waited 1 week, no infection. But my dr did tell me to wait a cycle before ttc again. I also read somewhere there was a slighlty higher risk of another m/c if you don't wait, but my SIL didn't and my niece is fine. If you really want to be sure then you should contact your dr.
I was told to not have sex for 3 weeks after my D&C.  I waited 2.  I also waited for my first AF before TTC again. I wanted to give my body a rest and get back to normal on its own. We had unprotected sex after the D&C and didn't get pregnant sicne AF showed up 5 weeks exactly after the D&C.
Hello-Well I m/c'd naturally on Oct 23rd at 8w.I was not told about any pelvic rest so DH and I started having intercourse about 5 days after I started bleeding.I did not get any infection.However I was told to wait atleast 2 cycles before ttcing again.Well I talked to another Dr and he said there was no need to wait so I ttcd right away and got pg 2w after my m/c. Well on Nov 20th I m/c'd again.My ER Dr was very upset that I didn't wait and she told me it was too soon because my uterine lining did not have a chance to build back up for proper implantation etc. I really don't know if I did M/C again because it was "too" soon but I just wanted to share with you my story because I don't want anyone going through another m/c.(Now I am waiting 2-3 cycles before ttcing again,I am already on the 2nd =).I wish you the very best and I am sorry to hear about your loss.
If you miscarried naturally then I don't see any reason to be on 4 weeks pelvic rest except maybe that is your doctors way of making sure you wait a cycle. If it were me I wouldn't wait. If there was a d&c then it might be a little different. When you have an early m/c like you did usually the only reason they tell you to wait is for emotional reasons or so they can be sure of your due date if you get preg right away again.
The best thing that helped me get through my m/c sadness was to try again right away. I got preg first month after my m/c and had a healthy baby 9 months later.

June
Sucks doesn't it! This is the weirdest "period" I've ever had, if you can call it that. It really makes me want to learn every thing about myself. Like for men they have it all figured out how sperm work. They are made and then trained and then blasted away to heaven I suppose. But whats up with the bleeding? Why is it so slow? Is it like cocentraited and stuck up in there and little by little our body sends water to flush it away? That one seems posible? I dunno.
I HAD MY DNC ON OCT. 10. AFTER BEING 8 W 2D PREG. I REALLY DIDNT HAVE MAJOR PERIOD.  THEN I HAD A PERIOD ON NOV. 15 SPOTTING FIRST 3 DAYS LIGHT, LITTLE HEAVIER OR SOMETIME NOT AT ALL FOR THE NEXE 7 DAYS. NEVER USED ANYTHING BUT PANTY LINER. NOW IT IS DEC. 20 AND I HAVE HAD NO PERIOD. MY BREAST FILL LITTLE SORE AND MY STOMACH FILLS FUNNY LIKE SORE INSIDE AND PRESSURE.  TOOK PREG TEST AFTER PREG TEST ALL CAME OUT NEG.  NOW WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS WRONG WITH ME.  I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A NORMAL REG PERIOD AND NOW ITS ALL MESSED UP.
Thanks everyone, I did have a natural M/C. It's very scary to think about it happening again. I guess I should play it safe just in case. But we'll see. Have a merry Christmas everyone.
Pregnancy hormones and the loss of a pregnancy can really screw you up. My first pregnancy was a complete molar pregnancy. I had a d&c at 11 weeks and my hcg's were up in the 300,000s. After my d&c I couldn't get pregnant for a year from when my hcgs got back down to "0". They wouldn't let me start birth control till they were down to 0 either. It took my body 6 months for the hcgs to get down under 100 and finally they started me on birth control pills anyway. I went through all kinds of signs of menopause during this time ( I was 24 years old) and lost almost 50 lbs during that time without trying. My hormones were messed up for a long time.

After 1.5 years past they told me it was safe to get preg again and I did immediately and had a healthy baby.
my hcg went back to normal with-in 2 weeks, but like i said 8 weeks really does not seem that far along.  i started spotting at 6 w and they found nothing wrong. go figure!!!!! then i lost the baby at 8 w.  now i should be on my period and i'm not, my boobs are sore and my stomach is too.  i called my doctor and she said it my be early preg or i might skip a month. if i dont start by jan. then they want to see me to make sure everything is okay up there.  i've never missed a period or had one so messed up till now. so hopefully their right and i am preg and this one goes better.