Maternal & Child Community
Polycystic Ovaries and in need of advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was just diagnosed with PCOS. My bloodwork is fine but I have a string of pearls (cysts) in both ovaries. My doctor wants me to start clomid but I am not ready for that. Has anyone tried the South Beach Diet to regulate blood sugars and start ovulation? How many of you have PCOS and got pregnant? I guess I just need to know what my options are and what my chances of conceiving are. I have been using this website a lot and I know how wonderful you women are. Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
My Dr. just recently told me he "thinks" I have PCOS.  I got pregnant about 3 weeks later.  Unfortunately, it ended in a miscarriage 19 dao.  It is my 3rd one.  I really think it is my progesterone level.  My hcg levels do not double like they should.  I have had just about every test under the sun and they came out fine, except for the cysts and my blood clotting factor was 2pts over the norm, which my Dr. was not concerned about.  He is sending me to a specialist under my request.  I already have progesterone suppositories I am planning to take immediately when I think I may be pregnant the next time.  Have you had any other tests or any other pregnancies to date?
I also have PCOS - diagnosed 3 years ago. My husband and I started TTC about 2 years ago without any luck. Although last November I started working out and lost about 20 lbs and got pregnant in January! Unfortunately I miscarried - but I could not believe how easy it was for us to get pregnant as soon as I started to lose weight. I follow a healthy diet... not any sort of diet plan - just healthy eating, low in sugar and bad fats. We are now back to TTC and i am still following my workout plan of cardio & weight training (I also work with a personal trainer) and we hope it will happen as quickly as it did the first time. All the best to you and TTC.
Hi, I was told that I had PCOS about a year ago. At the time I felt devasted as I kept reading that getting pregnant would be imposible. I went to my doctors, and she told me to start exercising and eating well, just limiting my sweets and carbs. Around November, my doctor put me on Metformin (I wasn't ready for Clomid just yet) This was suppose to help me ovulate and regulate my blood sugar. Well to my surprize, I found out I was pregnant in March. So 4 months on the medication helped me to ovulate and eventually get pregnant.I am currently 19 weeks pregnant and so far so good. Read as much as you can and make an informed decision. I didn't have many cycts, but my bloodwork was out of wack!! But I didn't even try Clomid. I was put on progesterone when I found out I was pregnant, to limit my chances of miscarriage. Good Luck!
I too have PCOS-diagnosed last Nov.-doctor put me on chlomid and metformin-500mg twice daily took chlomid dec.&jan but didnt concieve (conceive)-also med gave me bad side effects so thats why i stopped taking it but during the process i began to cut back on sugars and lost 38lbs and in march I fell preggers but mc in april so i guess loosing weight played a big factor in this Im ttc naturally by continuing dieting not a strict one though hope that works if not I'll think about other possible things but I have faith and sticky baby dust to everyone and me
I have PCOS and I was very irregular and wasnt ovulating.  I went on clomid and I got pregnant on my 3rd cycle.  Unfortunately I found out I have a blighted ovum (at 9 weeks) and I am going to do a d&c tuesday.  But I definately do not regret taking the clomid and would do it again.  I am hoping to start trying asap too.  The doctor told me that this loss has nothing do to with me or my future, as she ran all kinds of tests and everything was fine.  Even my hormones.  I do feel like this wont effect my future chances and I know God will bless me next time!  All the best!  

p.s.
Do any of you suffer from low blood sugars with your PCOS???
What type of specialist are seeing for your PCOS? Is it an endocrinologist or a fertility clinic?
Thank you so much for your comments. I have never had a pregnancy before so this will be my first time trying. You ladies need to update me and let me know when you are pregnant. I am trying the South Beach Diet right now to see what happens. However, my bloodwork was great and there were no signs of PCOS there (it was only my ultrasound that showed cysts). I am going to ask to be put on the medication for insulim resistance to see if that helps. I am just not ready for clomid. I do not hear a lot of success stories with that drug.
I have heard that even though your blood sugars do not show up as an issue that it could still be a problem regardless. I guess losing weight can help with this. I did not show as having any sugar problems but I am going to try losing weight to see what happens. I am glad to hear that clomid does work since that may be in my future. My husband is getting his semen tested this week.
Ladies

This is a wonderful website for PCOS suffers. I found so much great information on it!

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/PCOS-success2.html