Maternal & Child Community
Possibility of carrying baby after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1993 and still have both ovaries.  My husband and I were interested in having another child, and wondered where to begin as far as the possibility of this happening.  If it is possible to carry a baby, would I be able to use my own eggs, or do I even produce eggs anymore?  Also, I am 47 years old.  We have 5 children, the youngest being 11 years old.  Thank you for any information.
I am not a doctor but this is what I assume to be true:
1) If you do not have a uterus you cannot carry the baby yourself.
2) The last I read said that doctors will not use the eggs of a woman over 40-45. I don't even know if your eggs would be viable at the age that you are.

But there are many other options-- including adoption or surragacy. Obviously in-vitro wouldn't work for you if you don't have a uterus. Good luck!
My question is WHY???..lol

You have five children enjoy them!!
Sorry but at 47 you are considered old for child rearing, My last was at 37,
Your chances of birth defects increase as you age (a chance I would not knowingly take)
If your youngest one is 11 enjoy the time-- soon grandkids will be here and the best part you can send them home!!..lol
1)  If you have not started menopause yet, then you still produce eggs, but not sure of "quality" of eggs.

2)  I'm not sure what parts are removed in a "partial" hyst., but if you don't have a complete intact uterus then you cannot carry a pregnancy.

3)  You may have trouble finding a doctor willing to take your case because of your age.

4)  May I suggest Corvette or maybe a nice boob job for a mid-life crisis.....  It's probably cheaper than another college tuition.  

j/k  :-)
if you have no uterus, you can't carry a baby yourself....

you may still be producing eggs so could look into surrogacy, but that would be your only hope of having a biological child.
My question is WHY???..lol

You have five children enjoy them!!
If your youngest one is 11 enjoy the time-- soon grandkids will be here and the best part you can send them home!!..lol cinnamon this statement by u is the cruelest one ever, if the woman wants another child at 47 there is nothing wrong with that, u act like once women get in to their 40's that their only use in this world now is to be a grand mother, and or just to quit the quality of life bearing yrs,,,
feder: hell i say if u got the urge to make a baby then enjoy it while u got,,,women dont go through midlife crisis like men we go through midlife pregnancy's,,,feder i had a hysterodipy ( ithink i spelled it right) done in 1986 and a tubla ligation, i am 43 going on 44 andam 3 months pregnant with my second child,(my first was born in 84 and passed away in 2002),,,so if u still got baby then do it.......
I'm just turned 25 years old and i have two children but i want to have another baby i've had a total hysterectomy.  What are my opts.  to this.  it was not by choose, it was a life and death that my doc. and my X husband made for me.  what can i do?

Bella
there are surrogates to carry a baby for you, but without a uterus you cant do it.  maybe its hard to accept, but you do know that is your only option.  
i had a complete hystroectomy a few years ago, i had to have it, i am now remarried and he has one daughter but i think he would want us to parent together, is there solutions for us???? please respond... i have no uterus or ovaries
woman wondering...