Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy-Flying Question/Open Forum....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey Ladies -
just a few questions.

I am considering a 3rd child, I am concerned about my age and previous m/c's (3) and the blood clotting condition I have.  With all the nurses on this site and experienced mom's I have a few thoughts....questions I'd like some advice on.

I will be 35 in Sept and both my kids (while pregnant) tested high risk for down syndrome.  Based on age alone it was like 1/1400 for DD but after all the tests, she came back at 1/770  my son as well was cut in half based on age alone risk and my specific testing risk.

So here's my question....am I just at high risk for having a child with down syndrome or are my hormones just higher or different from the average woman?  I know there is no guarantees, it just seems odd that both my children's risk increased after the tests rather than age alone risk.

I also have a promthombin gene mutation which can cause blood clots.....according to my Dr this is one the highest risk conditions, more so than Factor V.  So, I was on a blood thinner from 12 weeks to delivery with my son.

I have so much to weigh in on having a 3rd for physical reasons alone....So here are thoughts/questions?

1. Would my age (35) in itself stop you, even though my risk for abnormalities seemly higher than most?
2. Anyone else go through a pregnancy when they have one that just turned 1?  I'm hoping to start after Jake turns 1 in October?
3. Clotting Disorder?  I will have to be on lovenox again for the next pregnancy and if I have a successful pregnancy the next time, I will also be flying during the pregnancy...is that okay?  I know there are risks in blood clots during long flights, etc.  Now, I have a double whammy....

Typically I'd wait a little longer to conceive, more than 12 mos. after birth but I'm am extremely worried about my age and this condition I have.  Also, with 3 recurrent m/c between the two children I have now, who knows how long it will take to have a successful pregnancy.....
i think...i haventr been in this situation but that at 35 if you think you can handle the possibility of having a special needs child-also keeping in mind..positive that both your other children are fine...may or may not be an issue..as for the blood clotting..i came axcross this i dont know if it would be to your help and advantyage

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/492745?post_id=post_2780653
also i think that it would be a good thing to speak to the dr about this..see his or her views on the whole situation and whatnot..that might help you make up your mind...good luck...(sorry for the typos in the previous post..ds was on me lol trying to type too saying hi lol)
I flew when I was 6-7 weeks pregnant with Avery and was terrified because of previous miscarriage and my doctor said there is no risk involved. We had already planned the trip before I found out I was preggo. Usually they will let you fly up until around 7 months. I would run it by your doctor. Just make sure to get up and walk around frequently. I am also contemplating having another one because Avery is almost 1. I am just not sure if I am ready for that yet. Good luck! :)
Thanks - if I was just pregnant, I wouldn't be so nervous about flying but having this clotting disorder on top of it, frightens me a little.
Aww, Deanne - I dont really know what to tell you except GOOD LUCK!  Maybe this time you will be just fine and nothing like the last?  Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.  Look how everything turned out before.  Perfect little boy you have there.

Thanks...I'm nervous.  More so of something going wrong with me and leaving my two kids behind.  It scares me to think that another pregnancy could be putting me in jeopardy.....but who knows.  Is that really the case.

My Drs and Hematologist always seem to disagree about this clotting condition I have and pregnancy.

As for the possibility of an abnormality....that just comes with the territory of having a child...it can happen to anyone at anytime....  that is the lesser of my fears.

I just feel so much pressure to have a child sooner rather than later (for age)....and that is just the wrong reason to start now.
I know that studies have shown your risks increase with age, but I don't think that a year or two would make much difference. Once over 35 you are considered advanced maternal age, but have they done studies showing your risk is much higher at 37 than 35, I don't think so, I think everything is lumped together. I personally would have a baby over 35 and I wouldn't rush things now for that reason alone.
As for your blood clotting disorder and flying, I think that as long as you have being taking the lovenox as ordered, you should be fine, just get up and walk and do leg exercises while seated. Did you have the miscarriages before or after being diagnosed with clotting disorder?
As far as being pregnant when Jake is one. I personally couldn't have done it, but from 1 -2 years my son was still breastfeeding and clingy(needing to be carried etc). He was very much still a baby...he started to grow up at two-- weaned and was more independent. It was then I felt ready to have another baby. But all situations are different. I have many friends who were pregnant when their children were just over one and that spacing worked out for them. I would keep an open mind and as his birthday approaches see how life is.
Thanks for the insight.  I personally don't know if I'll be ready to start trying again in September.  My little Jake needs so much attention compared to my Abby.

Abby was so independent when she was 1, it was towards her 2nd birthday she became much more needy for me.

To be honest, I lost 3 babies in between the two kids and felt like I short changed Abby because I was just 'always' pregnant from Feb 2006-Oct 2007.  I just want some time to 'be me' and love the kids I do have.

I also think that I while I'm so happy with the 2 I have, I'd love # 3.  I always wanted 4 but with my age, I just don't feel like that is what God has planned for me.

I guess I just feel the pressure due to my condition and how it plays into my age.  My mom (who I inherited this from) started having strokes as early as 52.  That is scary.  Now, thankfully they were not damaging but still.

If it was based on age alone.  I wouldn't feel as rushed.
I think you will be fine and you are right - it can happen to anyone. I have a friend who just had a baby with downs.  This is her 4th baby. First three are fine.  Her and her husband are fine with it.  PS she is also only 33.

I am going to try again but if I loose one I am stopping.  I cant live through that again.  We are thinking of starting again in Aug or Sept like before.  I am hoping for an easy pregnancy this time. haha  Last time was a nightmare.
Nice! - We are thinking Sept too....but I told hubby.  If I lose the next one, that is it.  I can't do this again.

Of course I say that now.  

And Sept is only on the horizon if I can get Jake completely weaned and sleeping gets better....

Last night he did awesome!!!  Slept 6 hrs straight....7p-1am.....then slept until 5am, when we get up anyway....it was the best!
You will know when the time is right, just go with what your heart tells you. Good luck! :)