Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy after uterus removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy after uterus removed

I had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago, my uterus was removed but my tubes and ovaries were left intact.  Is a uterine transplant a possibility?  I just wondered if this had ever been done or researched in any way?  My husband and I had twin girls 4 years ago and I am wanting another child if possible.
I found this article for you:

"(AP) Doctors in Saudi Arabia have performed the first human uterus transplant, which produced two menstrual periods before it failed and had to be removed.
The experiment indicated a womb transplant is technically achievable, but experts say it is highly risky and ethically questionable. Some say it won't be practical until less toxic anti-rejection drugs become available.
The idea of uterus transplants was first explored in the 1950s. But after 20 years of failed experiments on dogs and baboons, many scientists considered it impossible because of the complex blood vessels that must be connected and because of fears that anti-rejection drugs could harm a fetus.
Dr. Wafa Fageeh, a professor at Abdulaziz University who performed the transplant with her team at King Fahad Hospital and Research Center in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, called the operation "a good start."
"It is technically feasible, theoretically desirable, but presently unsafe," said Roger Gosden, a fertility pioneer at Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Va. "Their results reveal the risks and this procedure awaits the development of safe immunosuppression.
"A transplant to save life is an acceptable risk, but not one for fertility, when there are alternatives," he said. "This is why we would never be given ethical clearance to try this in the United States" for the foreseeable future.
The operation, reported this week in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, failed because a blood vessel supplying the uterus developed a clot, which cut off the blood supply.
"You have to give them credit. They took a concept that everybody thought was undoable and they did it," said Dr. Louis Keith, an obstetrician and gynecologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago who was not involved in the research.
"It brought enough blood to the uterus for the uterus to survive 99 days and function as a uterus is supposed to function
I was not sure and comfuses to make this fast desision, but I had big problem with my mentrusation./ I was bleeding since april 2006 non stop and this put my anemic reaching 6.0 and I was gaven 2 blood transfution plus iron thru my vanes. Myt dream always to have a baby and be a wondeful mother and I have my 2 ovaries and my pelvis, but I am not happy knowing that I can't become a mom one day and I wish I can have the money to have a uterus transplant and become pregnat. Right now It been 7 months since I have my uterus removed and still by now have pain in my area and can't still wear anything tight.
I would consider surrogacy or adoption. :)
I WANT ANOTHER BABY ALSO WHAT CAN I do to have one , I am willing to try anything, except adoption,i HAD MY UTERUS REMOVED IN 2004 AND i STILL HAVE MY OVARIES i AM STILL ACTIVE AND i AM Healthy please help really want a baby