Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy and Uterus Size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy and Uterus Size

My sister just saw her OBGYN and she told her that her uterus was 3cm. smaller than it should be at this point of her pregnancy, she is due on February 4th. Is this a major concern?
I thought everyone was different in uterus size, even up to the end of pregnancy. Wouldn't a 6lb baby need less room than a 9lb baby? Could he have meant smaller than average? If so I wouldn't think it's a problem. If the doc didn't order or perform a sonogram then everything's probably ok. Besides she could have a MAJOR growth spurt over the next few weeks. My first pregnancy I was small until the mid-late part of the 8th month. The weeks before my due date is when my stomach grew tremendously fast (and why I got stretch marks too).
I asked a similar question last week.  I will be having my baby by c-section on Feb 3rd (actual due date is the 11th).  She has been measuring 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule for the past 3 visits.  From what I have found out, a smaller uterus is more of a concern, because it can possibly mean that the baby is not growing properly (due to a variety of factors such as the cord being in a knot).  

Fundal height is not a very reliable way to judge the growth of the baby.  Dr's generally allow 2-3 cm either side of the current weeks and consider that normal.  A  

In my case I am measuring large.  The doctor said he is not concerned because I am scheduled for a c-section anyway, and even if she is 9 or 10 lbs, it won't matter.  

I have also heard that they like to have a few consecutive measurements that are either behind or ahead of schedule before they do anything.  If the doctor is concerned that there is a problem, he will order an ultrasound to find out what is going on.  And at this stage, there may be nothing wrong.  This is the point at which babies start to vary in weight and height.  

Oh yeah, I did read one other thing.  One other common cause of a low fundal height is a breech baby.  However, genrally the dr. will palpitate the uterus or order an ultrasound if this is in question.  And that can change over the next few weeks anyway.  

I am sure everything is fine.  

Take care,

Amanda
I just wanted to tell you that I answered your questions below...I missed the earlier one until today.

Take care,

Amanda

I wouldn't be to concerned about it.  When I was pregnant I was measuring smaller than I was supposed to the entire pregnancy, every visit they swore something was wrong.  But everything was ok.  I was just smaller because I was small, I gained 12 pounds the entire pregnancy.  And delivered a very healthy little girls.  So don't get worked up or worried about it just pray and trust the Lord!!!!!!!!!
I measured smaller than average with my first pregnancy in the last trimester. U/S showed that I was carrying her in the hammock position (sideways, not up and down) and the last week before I was due she flipped upside down on her own and was born naturally without inversion or C-Section weighing 6.9 and 20 inches long. Try not to worry prematurely as there is probably an explantion.