Maternal & Child Community
Pregnancy discrimination?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnancy discrimination?

Hi everyone.  I would like to hear everyone's view on pregnancy today, and if everyone thinks discrimination against pregnant women occurs.  I am a grad student, and I have had nothing but trouble since I told everyone that I was pregnant.  I know professors talk behind my back about whether or not this pregnancy was affected my performance in the program, I was even told that I should take a medical leave this semester until the baby is born.  I am a stipend student with paid health insurance through the college, if I go on medical, I lose all this.  This is how I support myself, no one is going to hire a women who is 6 months pregnant, how am I going to pay for insurance?  My dh is laid off, and job prospects do not look good.  This pregnancy has had minimal impact on my performance, grant it, it has been a rough pregnancy, but I have fulfilled the requirements of the program.  I feel as though the college looks down on me because of my pregnancy, I feel that this is unfair, because ultimately, women are put on this earth to have children, why can I not be a doctor and a mother?  Thank you.  
Well, while I do not agree that the ultimate purpose of women is to have children, the college professors should not be treating you this way.

Speak to each of them independently and tell them how you feel.  Its the adult thing to do.  Let them know that they are discouraging you with their "opinions" and to knock it off pronto.

I am an adult, hence I don't get why you would write "the adult thing to do", and no they are not discouraging me from my PhD. I have spoke to them independently and together, but I know the politics that go on in the department.  And, no I don't think that women are put here on this earth ONLY for the sole purpose of having children, hence why I am going for my PhD and want a career in science, and why I wrote, "can't I do both".   But, if a women chooses to have children, it is her right and business to do so.  
You said : "I feel that this is unfair, because ultimately, women are put on this earth to have children." That's why I said what I did.  Of course you can do both, but I still disagree with the former statement.

You didn't say you had already spoken to them, and that's why I said to go talk to them.  You said they were talking behind your back, so that's why it seemed as though they may not know how you feel.  

Peace and love, metal.  You asked for my views, and I gave my views.  Have a great day, and congrats on your accomplishments.

Discrimination, unfortunately, appears to be very prevalent these days - people discriminate against EVERYTHING from religion, race, gender, sexual preference, age, and, yes, pregnant women.

Of course there are many people that do NOT discriminate against pregnant women, but there certainly is a group of people that do - however, I feel that those that don't discriminate outnumber those that do (but I think this really depends on where you work, go to school etc.)

I am a synthetic organic chemist and have seen how different women in this field react when they get pregnant. One lady I worked with was getting her masters degree and worked with mercury compounds (of all things) until a few days before she gave birth.  The pregnancy did not get in the way of her work and she was sure to throughly protect herself (double gloves, respirator where necessary etc. etc.).  On the other hand, the day after a PhD student found out she was pregnant she flat-out refused to even open the door to the lab.  She then tried to use her pregnancy to get her PhD early even though she had over 1 years research still to conduct!  This, in my opinion, was utterly ridiculous and I can see where that type of behavior feeds discrimination - someone should not get a "free ticket" just because they are pregnant, nor should they expect to get one.

I think one reason some people discriminate is because they have witnessed the behavior of some pregnant women that try to take "advantage" of the fact.  People that go to work and then refuse to do certain tasks that they are capable of and pose little risk to the pregnancy BECAUSE they are pregnant - this is unacceptable to me.  It is quite different when someone chooses not to do something because it IS risky and it is unfortunate when people discriminate against this - I think part of it stems from the fact THEY may have to take over that part of the job in the interim which builds resentment.

It is unbelievable you are being discriminated against ESPECIALLY if the pregnancy has had little impact on your performance.  You would think that doctors, or all people, would not discriminate!  

Another thing that could come into play in your case is the professors believe you are a talented student with much to offer and they think that being a  mother will put you back a few steps.  E.g, they may be worried about your performance "after" the birth - that you may have to drop out and so all this work is for nothing so they are expressing concerns now.
There is also a certain stigma with women getting higher level degrees in some fields (such as science) which are predominately male-driven.  Some people likely resent women going into that field and as soon as they women gets pregnant it adds fuel to their fire.
There hasn't been too many pregnant students in the PhD program...I think were concerned because of all the ER visits I had the first couple months.  But, the doctor did ok me to work, and I haven't slacked at all in my responsibilities, I actually work harder to make sure that I can't give them a reason to discriminate.  That's why, I don't understand why they are.  I have an excellent family support system, so I know I can count on them to help me with my son as I return to my program after birth.   I don't really have anyone to turn to on this, so it helps to hear experiences, etc.  The only thing I don't do in lab anymore is fill the large containers of ethanol, methanol, etc.  But I still work with EtBr with extra protection.  As I tell everyone, I'm pregnant, not dead :)  Thank you for view.
Definitely be VERY careful with the ethyl bromide.  I would  be more concerned working w/ that than the alcohols.
I see you live in Greenfield...where are you going to school?