Maternal & Child Community
Pregnant and chicken pox exposure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnant and chicken pox exposure

I am very worried about being exposed to chicken pox. I am 17 weeks pregnant and about 5 days ago a lady came into work and spoke to me (face to face accross from my desk) for about 5 minutes before telling me that she is recovering from chicken pox. She first got the chciken pox 8 days before I saw her, and when I told her that I was pregnant she told me that all of her pox have scabbed over.

I went to my doctor who checked my previous bloods and told me that it showed I was immune and had anti-bodies to chicken pox. The doctor told me I should be fine seeing as her pox were scabbed, I have had chicken pox previously and my bloods showed that I was immune. I am still worried because all I can think about is this woman breathing on me for 5 minutes!! I know I am being paranoid, but I cant help it!! Do you think given my bloods showed I was immune I will be okay? Even if all her pox weren't scabbed over and there was a possibility she was still in the contagious faze?

Thankyou,

Worried!!
it sounds like youre fine. and i never heard of anyone getting chicken pox twice.  and its been five days already. wouldnt there be signs of it by now? it sounds like youre fine.
you should be fine. i only had a mild case as a child, but my OB said that was enough to keep me safe during pregnancy. i worked in childcare at the time so i was concerned. if she was scabbed over, she wasn't contagious. chicken pox is contagious before they pox show up, and until they scab.

I know of many people who have gotten chicken pox twice- it is actually common. There wouldn't be signs of it on you yet, as there is a long incubation period. But, you are ok because your blood test shows you have the antibodies and therefore are immune.
You'll be fine.  You are not susceptible.