Maternal & Child Community
Pregnant with twins... lost one

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Pregnant with twins... lost one

Hi Ladies...  Will be at 8 weeks tomorrow. I did a FET and was thrilled that it took. I started spotting and cramping last night and was terrified b/c I m/c earlier in year and that is how it began. Ironically, I was scheduled for an u/s today.  It showed that I had twins but one did not have a hb and looked smaller.  They estimate that I lost it about 2 weeks ago.  My dr. said that the sac will continue to show in future sonograms and that my body would probably absorb it. It was so heartbreaking to see two babies but only one hb. I was so hoping for twins!!!  But I am so grateful for the one that I have.  Soooo my questions are...  Is it normal to have bleeding and cramping?  How long will it last?  I am so paranoid b/c I don't know if it is residual of the baby I lost of if I am m/c the one I have!!!  I wish I could do an u/s everyday!!! I'd love to hear your stories...  Thanks....
I had the same thing with my first pregnancy, so I was told, it was never proven by ultrasound. I found out I was pregnant and 4 days later I started heavy bleeding, the ultrasound showed 1 live baby and the blood and clots I passed showed to be a twin. I went on to have a normal pregnancy with her and she is now a happy healthy 7 year old, God bless and good luck
Down below in yesterday's postings, ro said she had the same thing and got responses from some women for whom it had also happened.  Just scan down.  I'm going to copy what I wrote to her here (don't usually do this, so readers bear with me please).  But I do also recommend you scroll down and find the thread.

What I wrote:
I have talked about this on this forum before, but will risk boring others by discussing it again. I had two embryos with heartbeats at six weeks, and one died at about 8 weeks 4 days, we found it out for sure at the 11-week ultrasound. The phenomenon is called "vanishing twin," and is pretty common. It hasn't been all that well known until lately, simply because people don't always have ultrasounds that early, and by the time they do the vanished twin is gone. But with the advent of IVF and its early, constant monitoring, they are finding out that it happens a lot. It was a sad day for me when we found out for sure, we knew something might be happening because I had bleeding since week 6, but I had so not wanted the baby to die. But it is a mixed feeling too, because you are being told that your other baby is doing great! As one writer puts it, it's like going to a birthday party and a funeral all at once. My doctor said that the body really does want to raise one baby with success, so often the weaker embryo will fade, but also it usually is something about the embryo and not anything about you that did it. (If it were a flaw in you, both babies wouldn't make it.) Early miscarriage is also commoner than we used to know, something like two out of five early embryos don't make it, and since that is almost half, it is less surprising that one out of two twins might not make it either. I think of the little one now, when at 31 weeks I'm being kicked in the ribs by its brother (who has passed all his tests and is determined to come into this world feisty), and I think of him or her as something like the star on the Christmas tree. Maybe when I die I will be able to meet this little one that came for such a short time and gave us such joy even for 8 weeks, and I can find out what his or her purpose was. I don't forget that once there were two, and while it is bittersweet, we are still so lucky.
So sorry that happened to you.  Its not your fault, and try not to worry about it too much, because it will cause stress to you and the other child. Thank god that you didnt loose both. God bless, and take care of yourself!
You made me cried last night and now again. You wrote your story so well that I had to read it again. Anyway, I am 32 weeks prego, so we are very close. I wish you the best.
Thank you for your feedback and support... Sorry I missed previous thread. I am sorry you all went through the same thing.  AnnieBrooke - you are right - It does feel like a birthday party and a funeral all at once. It is starting to hit me now and I am very sad for the baby I lost. My brain tells me it was what was meant to be but my heart still aches. Especially having gone thru IVF - you want it so badly.  Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to still have one baby that has a strong hb.  I am encouraged that you all have gone on to have successful pregnancies.

How long did you bleed and cramp for?  I am not feeling great and just wondering what others have experienced on the physical side of things??
Hi! I did post yesterday and experienced the same thing (2 fetus but only 1 heartbeat). I am feeling the same way. I was very upset the whole day but am feeling better today. I have not had any cramping/bleeding though. The dr. said  the one w/o the heartbeat measured only a few days smaller. Should I expect to have bleeding/cramping? I am worried too, for the healthy one, if it will miscarry too. I will get another u/s in 4 weeks. I can't wait. Best wishes to you too with your healthy little one.
HI, I am a twin, but my mother told me that early in her preg 8 weeks. My sibling died(no n/b) and when I was born strong and healthy, along with me was a small tiny sac that was delivered at same time. kinda sad, but in 70's not alot of u/s etc.... to know that sac was still there. usually body absorbs it.. good luck to you-i know it is sad, but having a healthy baby will make it much easier to deal with.I think your situation is very common, just alot of women do not know they had twins- and was absorbed.
sorry to hear about your u/s appt today. i hope you're doing ok. btw, i took at hpt today and it showed two lines- one was a bit faint. i will get a blood test in the morning. will keep you posted. take care of yourself! :)
Thank you... everyone is so supportive.  It is a strange feeling but I feel incredibly blessed to have one.  I just pray that everything goes well.  Please let me know how your test comes back - I am sure you are pregnant!!!  I will say a prayer for you tonite:):):)

Ro1234 - we seem to be on the same track.  Today has been a day full of mixed emotions.  We just need to focus on the babies we still have!!  My next u/s is also in 4 weeks for a nuchol (sp?) test.  Sticky baby dust to both of us!!!!  

CODNERS - oh I hope I absorb the baby... I can't imagine.  You are an inspiration.
hi there, i am 6 feet tall and wondered how tall u r and how much you are showing etc. i am not preggers yet but just curious how it looks on a tall girl! and how it feels and everything really!! i weigh 222, but everyone says they cant tell because i look athletic (right....) im bout as athletic as a door stop but they dont have to know that! haha. just wondering if i will ever get there...blessings:) candy from tn
Do me a favor, be honest with the one that is still alive. My mother was pg with twins, my brother died and she hid it from me. It hurt her alot to hide it, she thought she was protecting me. Please don't cause yourself the same pain. Even beyond death in the womb, twins have a strong bond.
Just saw your post and I don't know if you will be revisiting this post.  I am 5'10 and weighed 126.  I have a small frame.  Surprisingly, I've been told I look athletic too.  I will be at 10 weeks Weds and I am not really showing.  I still fit into my clothes (some a bit snug).  I have gained 3 pounds. But I have a feeling I will gain quite a bit:):) Just feeling yucky right now.  No energy and feel nauseated all the time.  They say that is a good sign though!!!   Good luck when you decide to get preggo!!!
I  was pregnant with twins (i didn't know it)... I had a bad miscarriage. I thought that I would never get throught it. When I went to my check up I found out that i was still pregnant and turns out that I only passed one baby in my m/c. I am currently about 19 weeks and i still don't  beleive that something like that could happen. But I think God for it because I have had several miscarriages before and i feel truly blessed....I was told that I am having a boy.... and he has such a stong heart beat and I know that he's going to make it.... To everyone: LIFE IS A JOURNEY... NOT A EASY ONE... STAY STRONG AND REMEBER YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE!
Same thing happened to me.  My son is now a very healthy 7-month-old baby.  :)
I myself went through IVF - they put three eggs back in and all 3 took.  We saw three heartbeats one week and then went back the next week and there was only 2 heartbeats.  I know how you guys feel.  I am so very nervous about the other two and my doctor's appointment isn't until Monday.  I wish you all luck and will say a prayer.
Hi Anne,
When you lost one baby, what about the other one? Were the babies in different sacs? How did they protect this one? Did they take the baby out early and keep in incubator and protect or did they leave the baby inside you? My sister has lost one of her babies after 24 weeks. So, just need some information.

thanks.
starlight
Hi missjazzykiki,
When you lost one baby, what about the other one? Were the babies in different sacs? How are they protecting this one? Do you still have the baby that didnt have any fetal activity inside you? My sister has lost one of her babies after 24 weeks. So, just need some information.

thanks.
starlight
post is old, from 2006
I thought it was 07.. 2007. Ok..thanks.But I just wish someone will reply to this !:(
Thanks.
just read your post two days ogo the same thing happened to me i didnt know i was haveing twins and know one is gone . my doc said its touch and go for the one thats still hear u/s in two weeks im so scared did they tell you that two love jo.
I am pregnant with twins (naturally), but early (9 weeks).  My cousin had a vanishing twin pregnancy.  I asked the OB about the chances of one of the babies vanishing - and he said under 50%.  I read online that it is anywhere from 30-60%.  He figures if there are still 2 at my next US, then they are both sticking.  You can MC it, or just absorb it.
HI, I had a miscarriage end of may, july 9th I had a D/C due to retained products.  I got pregnant right away 2 days after I found out I was pregnant I started to spot, Light brown blood.  I went to the doctor and she said if it gets heavier then go to emerge. it got heavier on friday but still brown. the doctor said it was old blood and my hormore lever was high for 5 weeks about 14,000.  on monday aug 20, I started to bleed red. alot. I went for an ultrasound and she said she saw 2 sac's and one had something in it and the other was empty. but no heart beat yet. now I have been bleeding for a bit more then 2 day, very heavy, with slights cramps. has anyone experienced this simmilar situation.  I am so confused. if i have miscarried then its 2 miscarriages in a row, but is it possible that I could have miscarried the empty sac??
I had the same problem - I was pregnant with triplets and lost one.  The sac is still there after several weeks.  It has caused me to go to the emergency room due to severe bleeding.  My doctor says that it is the empty sac - it can tear causing new blood and then it will turn brown again.  I would get a check up with your OB/Gyn, but don't panic too much - that too is not good for you or the baby.
I had gone through an IVF cycle and three embryos were transferred I was told I was pregnant, with a very high bata level at 3 weeks.  I am now at 5 weeks and was told that my beta level decreased and that I was probably going to miscarry.  Can your beta level decrease if you were carrying twins and only one miscarried?          
I would think so, but I'm no expert.  Would your doctor not answer that question or even give you some hope that only one of the embryos didn't make it?  
Up to this point I had no utra sound that I even had more then one embryos because it was too early.  All we were going by was my beta level which was high.  She thinks I'm going to miscarry since it decreased to 386 when it was 528 three days ago.  I was just wondering if it could be a possibility that I could had 2 embroys and lost one.
the same thing happened to me at 8wks also. I had placenta previa. I almost lost the second one several times. it was hard to deal with, but you just have to be thankful for the one that is still there.
I was pregnant with twins and lost one at 10 weeks.  Since then I have had off and on bleeding resulting in one ER visit.  I am glad you posted your comment about the sac tearing and causing new red blood, that happened to me at 14 weeks, then at 15 weeks and of course freaked me out.  The doctor told me I would most likely continue to expell the old sack up until 18 weeks, I am 16 weeks now and I continue to have some bleeding and spotting.  How long did you continue to have bleeding and spotting?  I just saw the doctor two days ago and the one baby left was doing fine, but it just freaks me out whenever I go to the bathroom and wipe when I pee, and then of course I spot in my underwear.  Did your spotting end at a certain time in your pregnancy?  I am just so scared it will affect the other baby
hi everyone, my name is Angel and iam 18. I was pregnant with twins but about two weeks ago i found out that i lost one of them. reading all of ur stories gives me HOPE although iam very nervous and scared that my still living baby will not make it. the reason i feel like this is because my sister in law recently went through a similar dilima, she was carrying two, lost one and ended up having to abort the other one... what should i do??
Do not worry too much - it is VERY possible that you will deliver your remaining twin without any problems.

I am currently 39 weeks pregnant with my surviving twin, Baby B.  Baby A's heart stopped beating at 16 weeks.  I never had cramping or bleeding and the fetus of Baby A is still inside of me.  I am a little nervous about what we will see when I deliver, but I am happy that everything has been ok with the remaining twin.  

It is very hard to see twins or anything to do with twins and to think that I should have had 2 babies, but everything happens for a reason.  And while that doesn't make everything better, just know that you're not alone and that the odds are that everything will be just fine with your remaining twin!

Good luck!

-Andrea
hi, i have a problem that i cant figure out and its making me feel like im going mad so i was wondering if anybody could help me, ok my period has always been a 28 day cycle and it arrives every 4th monday without fail, but in april i started falling to sleep all the time and feeling sickly (also very unlike me) my period didnt arrive on the monday like it should of but 4 days later on the friday i started bleeding heavily which had clots in it and was very dark compared to usual and it lasted longer than my usual monthlys, i thought nothing much of it until a few days ago as i was due on my period last week and still havent came on so i took a home pregnancy test and it was positive (a very faint line tho)  but 2 tests since then said negative but my stomach has gone hard and im getting cramps and it feels like there is something moving round occasionally inside me (the only time ive ever felt that before was when i was pregnant 3 yrs ago with my daughter) and tonight ive started to get what looks like light brown blood, and my fiancee has been adament for 2 weeks that he can hear a heartbeat faster than mine when he lays his head on me (i hadnt even told him i thought i was pregnant at the time) has anybody experienced anything like this? cause i feel like im going mad xxx
i went for an early scan cause i had a molar pregnancy previous, and found i was pregnant with fraternal twins....... i had regular scans saw them both movin and heartbeats was strong, i went for scan at 12 wks and one had died fully developed just "STILL" and  quiet, it was a very sad day an wen i went for scan at 16 weeks she was still there , it was horrible knowin i was carryin a live baby and dead baby.... she disapeared by 21 weeks ,,........
Did you have any bleeding or cramping?  Sorry for your loss.  I am 9 weeks now, counting down the days until my 12 week u/s.  I am carrying twins, but the sac on one of the babies was really small.  Doctor told me there is a probability that that baby won't make it.  I still have been spotting a very little almost everyday and light cramps(could be stretching of uterus?).  Just worried over everything.
so i have an unusual situation, and I'm sorry if this is a repeat of a previous post, i read quite a few, but not all of them. I had a natural miscarriage at 14w5days with no d&c. that was June 9. i was given the pills to cause contractions and release any afterbirth. my body expelled the whole fetus, not clots and blood, but a baby with arms and legs, you could see her face and everything. i have not had a period since then, its now august 30  i have been reading absolutely everything i can about miscarriage and what to expect after and when your period will return. Most sites i have read say that it is normal for a period to return between 4-8 weeks and usually say that if you have not had a period in that time frame, there may still be a bit of tissue in there. well a couple of weeks ago, i passed a quarter size blood clot and was sure that that had to be all of the remaining tissue and was confident that my period would return soon.  Last monday, i got what i thought was my period.  It was terrible, the worst period i have ever had. i thought it was just because it had been so long and my body was just trying to get back to normal. I was in so much pain. I have a very physical job and wast sure if the back pain was from my period or my job, the pain was exactly like the pain i experienced with my miscarriage on June 9th, but i just thought it was a bad period.  i had trouble sleeping all week from the pain, but i was grateful that my body was finally getting back to "normal"  Well, yesterday, I woke up from a nap and used the restroom. I passed a huge clot of tissue, a little bigger than a baseball, there was no blood on it, around it, no blood came before it came out,(after it came out, i started bleeding) it was just flesh colored mass with this little piece of something red on the end.  My husband got really freaked out when he saw it and flushed it, which i know was really stupid. so anyway, my question is, could that have been a second baby? I cant imagine how that could have been part of the first baby since the whole fetus was expelled.  Is it possible for you to be pregnant with twins, and one doesn't develop so your body proceeds  to get rid of it, and in the process, kills a healthy baby? i feel so terrible right now, i thought this whole mess was over, i feel like my heart was just ripped out again,  Fraternal twins run in my family, i have 6 sets of natural twins on my moms side, my mom being one of them, and i was taking hcg for weight loss when i got pregnant which i didn't know some women take for fertility.  I'm sorry if this seems jumpy, my mind is racing right now... any thoughts or theories on the situation would be appreciated.
I really dont know where to begin. I was just discharged from the hospital.  Midnight Sun/Mon I miscarried one of my twins we dont know which one and I am still carrying the other so I have been on alot of antibiotics to help ensure I do not get an infection as that will end this pregnancy. I am on bed rest and have a nurse coming here 3x a week. I am so crushed and unable to greive because of the hope and prayers to continue with the baby I have left growing.  I do not want to stress myself out by greif but it is killing me inside at the same time. I feel so helpless and scared. and unfortuantly this is so rare that I dont see hardly anything on it. we have held off our move to NC until I am stable and my Dr's feel I can get as good of care or better in NC so I may stay here while my Dh goes down for his job. Whatever it takes I will do.  If anyone has heard of this or seen this or had this happen to them and still turn out ok I would really love to hear,
looking for support
I am so sorry about the loss of one of your twins. I have another medhelp friend (katie761) who also lost one of her twins at about 16 weeks. She is now about 19 weeks pregnant with the other twin still. I don't know much about her miscarriage of the one twin because we just became friends on here about a week ago, but I do know she has a history of m/c and giving birth very early and I also think she has some health issues so her situation might be totally different than yours. I am praying that you don't get an infection and that your other baby makes it.
Thank You Renny . I am so glad to see you twins are growing nicely. advise stay extra hydrated.. and rest alot .
If You talk to your friend ask her if we could be friends I have a few different questions like did she expell the baby,and what measures the Dr gave her. and she is doing great 3 weeks is a fantastic feat.
I did list her name in my last post if you want to find her on my friends list you can see her journal or send her a friend request.. I didn't see much details in her journal about the passing of the baby, but I just went back and noticed she commented on her journal that when the baby that passed is born she intends to have a service for it, so she is still carrying it with the live baby. Also, in her journal she talks about doing physical therapy due to a recent surgery so it doesn't sound like the doctor put her on any restrictions. It sounds like the baby just went still inside her and the other one is still doing fine. She just posted yesterday that her baby is moving around like crazy so she most still be doing well. Again, I am sorry you are going through this and I am praying your remaining twin stays put and is born healthy.
Well I have been breaking most common oregnancy practices by miscarrying and expelling 1 of my twins at 16 weeks and still maintaining the 2nd. We have not gotten any news or advice what to expect since this is so rare but can happen. I am waiting on the gene testing of my lost baby to see if they can shed some light on what happened but no word yet. Tomorrow at midnight will mark 2 weeks since this occurred I am on modified bed rest up for travel to dr appt and to eat and bathroom and about an hr to sit around other then that I am in bed running a million senerios through my very tired brain. They decided to change the sex of my baby which was a boy since 12 weeks to now a girl at 17 weeks and we are now dealing with soft markers popping up on the heart and bowel but told 90% nothing and 10% downs . This is my 1st pregnancy and mentally the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with but there is atleast still hope.
Hi! My name is Shana, and just went through the exact same thing you did, on the 6th of January. I was pregnant with twins and expelled one at 13 weeks and still pregnant with the other. It's been so hard to find anyone with the same story. What was the outcome of your pregnancy? I'm a nervous wreck!
I am 8 weeks and was pregnant with twins but I lost one but the sac is still inside me and the driver told me I might lose the other so now I am just in alot of paid,bleeding and worrying