Maternal & Child Community
Premature Baby - born at 28 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Premature Baby - born at 28 weeks

Hello everyone - has anyone ever had a baby at or around 28-30 weeks, or know of anyone who has?  I have placenta previa, and am currently about 28 weeks.  My doctors are convinced my little one will be born early - much sooner than later, and I am worried about her chances of a normal life if born so soon.  Can anyone comment on any experiences or stories of people with children born this early?  Anything would be appreciated - I am still hanging in there on complete bedrest, freaking out and checking my pants every 2 minutes for blood.  I had a very large bleed last Monday and the doctors are convinced I'll be back soon with another bleeding episode.  At that point, they will have to deliver her via C-section, and I am freaking out.  

Thanks for anything you can share.
I dont have any stories to share, but my prayers are with you.  I'm sure you and your baby will be ok.  
My nefew was born at 29 weeks. He just had his first birthday yesterday and is doing very well! A little behind, but healthy. He was in the hospital for about 3 months and had some issues with apnea. He was really lucky. Premi babies do so much better than they used to. I know it's hard not to worry. The best thing for you to do is follow everything your Dr. has told you to a T and pray.
I'm really sorry you are going through this and I hope everything will be fine!
Good luck and keep us updated with how you and your baby are doing!

(I know mumtobeagain had her baby really early, maybe she will come on and tell her story)
My son was born at 32 weeks, it wasn't plain sailing, he did suffer a brain bleed at 3 days old (about 25% of very premature babies can have this), in our case it led to hydrocephalus (water on the brain) he does also have mild cerebral palsy and some developmental delays. He is the light of my life! He is so happy and at pre school now, to see him you wouldn't know he was born prematurely and you wouldn't really notice his delays until you got to know him well. There was another baby born at the same time as my son in the NICU with us, he was born at 30 weeks, he had a few problems at birth and needed a couple of blood transfusions because of severe jaundice, other than that he was fine, he was a bit behind developmentally as a baby but he is pretty much caught up now (3 years old).
I guess I was typing at the same time as you!
Hope you feel okay today.
my good friend Lisa had her second daughter at 27 weeks. she weight 1 pound and 9 ounces. she stayed in the nicu until she was due. she had apnea, needed a respirator and an assortment of other tubes and devices including a nasogastric tube. Lisa was terrified and had no idea what was going on. but, she did become proactive and figured out feeding schedules, bathing schedules and more and was there for everything they would let her do. Emily, Lisa's daughter, grew just fine. now she is 7 and petite, but a cheerleader with no developmental delays at all.

things have come a long way even since then. i know how scary it is, but keep your chin up. the doctors and nurses are very well equipped to keep your baby safe.
Thank you all for such support - it is still very scary to think of bringing such a premature baby into this world, and I know that every additional day she stays inside me is a huge plus.  

Good luck to you all, and I will definitely rest and listen to my doctors.  
I have a friend who had placenta previa and they began to give her the steroid shots around 28 weeks, her other 2 babies were preemies too so they figured even without her condition baby would come early.  She ended up having a C-section at 32 weeks and her little one was over 4 pounds thanks to bedrest, high protein diet and the steroids.  He spent a few weeks in the NICU but was home in just under a month and is doing well.  He was put on a special formula to help him pack on weight and they just have to be careful when taking him out so he doesn't get sick.  He's growing great and has not had any major problems.
My employee's daughter gave birth at 24 weeks in March.  The little girl just came home from neonatal two weeks ago and is happy and healthy as a clam, and her twin brother will be home next week - they would have been full term on 6/6.  They did lose the third (would have been triplets) at 27 wks due to a ruptured colon, but the miraculous development of the other two is inspirational.  With each passing week in the womb, the chances for healthy survival increases.  You already have a leg up on her at 28wks and look what medicine did for those born at 24 wks?  I will think wonderful thoughts for you.  Try not to worry too hard.  
I had a 30.5 weeker who is now 3 yrs old and doing well with out any delays or problems. Thanks to many prayers. She was in the hospital for a month and a week. It was hard ,but you definatly get through it. I am now high risk and had low lying placenta which has moved up ,but they have found placental lakes which is bllod in the placenta and that is what caused my abrubtion with my preemie. They have given me steroid shots to speed up the baby's lung develpment and I am 31 wks and 2 days. I was admitted for 3 days 2 wks ago because they thought I may deliver early. Well I am supposed to be on bed rest,but it is very hard when you have 2 kids already , but I am definaly doing less. The hospitals are so great in taking care of preemie babies. Have they given you or talked about the steroid shot? If not I would definaley talk to your doc about it. Like I said my preemie baby I got one ,but delivered that day. With this one I got my shots 24 hrs apart. So if my baby is born early her lungs will be strong. Good luck and be strong. If the baby is born before the due date it will be tough a little ,but you will get your little one home and they grow up fast!!!!
my husband was born at 29 weeks - and that was 34 years ago!  He has scares all over from IV's and such and had to have an intestinal resection right after birth....at that time they gave him a 50/50 shot, he was in the hospital for 3 months or so and he's a healthy 34 year old now!  A ton has changed since then, so don't give up hope.....
WOW!  I am so encouraged - thank you all so much for sharing your stories.  I just cannot believe how far medicine has advanced.  Of course the ideal case is to keep her cooking in me for as long as possible, but I'm a little more at ease now.

THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL so very much!!
I treat a lot of children born prematurely (I'm a speech-language pathologist) and I've gotta tell you that some of the kids who catch up quickly are the ones born prematurely.  Try not to worry and listen to these inspiring stories.  My prayers are with you and your little one.
i was born at 26 weeks.. perfectly normal life, i just had a baby boy 3 weeks ago :) good luck! everything will be ok!
My cousin was born at 29 weeks and weighted 2 lbs. 3 oz. She was in the hospital for 2 months. She is completely healthy now though other than having asthma (which is a family problem anyhow). She's 7 years old and is sooooo smart! Not behind at all! She was actually reading by age 3! :)
i had complete placenta previa also and my baby was born at 28 weeks. the chances of survival for a baby increases with each week. every week counts, even though it seems like a short time. at this point, my baby is 9 days old and is stablizing pretty good. also, i have a cousin who was bor nat 28 weeks and shes in college with a master is science and majored in music management. shes a really good singer and has made the honor roll most of her high school life. they say my daughter has a 90% chance of living, and if you are still pregnant at 28 weeks your baby's precentage is higher. your baby will be fine. they olny thing to expect is that your baby might have to stay at the hospital until they kno that he/she is for sure ok, but its worth the wait, trust me!!!!
well i have 2 stories...my bf was born 2 and a half months premature..he was due march 17th and was born jan 6th via csection..he is completely normal..i think...the only problem he encountered was not liked being in school, being very rude and ignorant to authority figure which led him to get kicked out of school...did some awful things with the law...got into ALOT of trouble..anywaysnce  he is a real hard worker..and has been working quite hard since he was 14 and he is now 20...he is the kind of person that always had 2-4 jobs..now he has school and work..it drives me nuts...oh btw he doesnt do any stupidity things anymore...and he swears he will not let his son go through this route either...theres alot of things he says he will do differently that he would have wanted and needed his mom to do...so we will see...hope for the best....oh he was about 2lbs

and the second is my little cousin was due july 21st and was born may 14th via csection...he was weighing in at 2lbs 2 oz and the umbilical cord only had ONE vessel passing food to the baby instead of 3...a few days later he was down at 1lb 1oz...scary..he also needed a blood transfusion because i almost did but his dad was able to...which was good...if not i would have..my little cousin will be 9 this year and other than his so called add(which is has not received the proper testing and it makes me soo mad because ive worked in the field and he's a normal kid...but a kid and a little boy so...it kinda explains itself)...anyways...hes a miracle and i love him to death...

all in all they are both "NORMAL" and my bf leads a normal life..very hard working and has alot of goals etc which is good..as for my little cousin i strongly believe my aunts parenting sty;e isnt at all the best because calling her child names isnt the way to go and its sad...she has a 2 and a half yr old son which was 2 weeks premature...and he is prefered over her other son and to me it be like they are both lucky to be here but...kyle is really a miracle...he almost didnt make it...i wouldnt try to be prefering one over the other...anyways i could go on on the parenting..it just makes me soo mad because no child ought to feel that way...he is forced to be responsible for his 2 and a half yr old brother just because mom needs a break and she goes outside...:S ugh

but all in all they were born and are still here and good:) any thing can happen i wish you and ur lil one the best of luck...
The further you can carry, the better.  Get the steriod shots, they really do help.  Lauren was a planned c-section at 33 weeks and change.  She stayed in the hospital 8 days because of a feeding issue, but was 5 pounds 10 ounces at birth, just over 6 pounds when she left the hosptial.  Should have seen our faces during the procedure...I kept asking whose baby was 5 pounds!!?!!  We were expecting a 3 or 4 pounder.

Take care of yourself!!!  And good luck to you and the baby!!  I hope all is well with you both.
imagine if you would have went full term..wow amazing
Entirely glad she was taken early.... and she was 20.5" !!!!!  It's no wonder she kicked the devil out of me, she didn't have much room!  My doc was also impressed.  He watched me very carefully on both pregnancies since there is such a size diff between me (4'10) and hubby (6'2).  She would have been taken early around week 38 or possibly 37 for that reason.  Kathryn was induced/taken just shy of 39 weeks for that reason (7 lb 8oz, 21").  Strange now, though, since Lauren appears to be the shorter of my girls.  Kathryn is anticipated to be 5'9 or 5'10 based on her 2 year height projection.  Lauren is quite a bit shorter at this point than Kathryn was, so we'll see.

I love the pic of your baby.  Too cute!  I miss having a baby baby somedays.
hey! hope all is well! i was born at 27 weeks in 1987.
I just asked my mom if i had anything wrong with me when i was born, she said no, apart from having asthma, i have no learning difficulties apart from me being lazy :)
I am 20 turning 21 this yr and i will be studying nursing next year! i cant wait for that.
I was 930 grams when i came out, but then when i was washed i was 600 something grams. I am fully formed, no abnormalities.
Take Care,
Clarisa
I had placenta praevia. I bleed at 26.4 days and had steriods. In total I had five units of blood over the next 10 days as I continued to bleed on and off and made it to 28 weeks. At 28 weeks I bled and had 2 total body transfusuions and ended up on a life support machine after having a hysterectomy...think that was nightmare...no way that was all fine...up and about and fine by the end of the week :) The real night mare.... my little one on scbu for 97 days-resuscitated a birth apgar scores 1 and 6. Intraventricular brain haemorrage grade 4 resulting in severe hydrocephalus, vented on and off, cpap, oxygen, destaurations and bradycardias that would have won any olympics, reflux, apnoea, difficulty feeding...numerous hospital aquired infections, anaemia blood transfusuions lumbar punctures and parents that cried until our hearts burst.... Miracles do happen..our baby survived... now almost 2 a happy bright kind little boy...no issues or problems seen to date...constipation occassionally a little on the small size and a smile that would light anyones day...and  lessons learned by us his parents that life is so precious-too short and the love of our son is the best gift imaginable.
I was born at 28 weeks.
There were no complications at all, and i have lived a healthy. normal life.
Im now 15 years and 4 months old. :) xxx
I just had my daughter at 29 weeks on April 23rd, 2010. She is healthy and just moving her way up in the NICU! We are pretty much just waiting for her gain weight because she was born at 1lb 15oz. She is 1 oz away from being 3lbs! So far all the moms I have talked to in the NICU say that there preemies are doing good and moving along beautifully. The c-section really isnt that bad and doesnt hurt like you think it would. The worst part about it is you come out only remebering bits and pieces of the c-section. I remebered the most important parts though, my husband right by my side and them holding my beautiful baby girl right by me. The hospital that I was at made me wait for 24hours before I could go see her though. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I wish you the very best!!!
my brother was born at 29 weeks, in june 2008, he weighed 1.4 kgs and almost died, he was very lucky because he now has nothing wrong with him. my mum had a bleed at 27 weeks and the next weekend she lost her waters, it was all very scary, but just keep hope...he is now almost 2 and doing great. i hope all went well.
hi all, i was born at 28weeks and just over a kilo......nearly 21 yrs ago! i had to have 21 blood transfusions and took a very long time to breath for the first time. also technology has improved so much since then. my only problems were knock knees as a child and im a little more suseptible to bronchitis. i have no learning difficulties, studying at uni and have also been above average at sport my entier life. hope that helps settle some nerves!
Next week I am presiding over the funeral service of a woman 88 years old who was born* a premature infant of 28 weeks (at 18oz).  *For those not good with Math that's 1922 ;)
She told me that her parents (in rural North Dakota) used to put her in a shoe box on top of the stove to keep her warm.
She lived a tremendous life - faith-based, vital, and caring for others all along the way.
With God all things are possible!
I will be praying for you.
Pastor Dave
I JUST HAD MY BABY AT 28 WEEKS AND I HAD A COMPLETE PREVIA!!! MY SON WAS BORN 9-26-10 I WAS STAND OVER THE STOVE AND I FELT A GUSH OF SOMETHIN TRICKLE OUTTA MY WHO-HA. BY THE TIME I GOT TOO THE BATHROOM I REALIZE IT WASNT MY WATER. I ALSO HAS 4 OTHER C-SECTION WHEN YOU HAVE THE SCAR UP AND DOWN FROM THE BELLY BUTTON DOWN TO YOUR WHO-HA THATS AN EMERGANCY C-SECTION. MY BABY DID SWOLLOW BLOOD BUT NOT ALOT! BORN WEIGHIN 2LBS AND 9OZ HE WAS VRY TINY! SO THIS ONE WAS MY FIFTH KID! MY BABY DID MAKE IT! HE DOING GREAT A LIL LIIVER PROBLEM BUT NOT TO PANIC HES OK.STILL IN THE NICU BUT OK.I ALSO HAVE AN ENLARGE HEART AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HYPERTHYROISM(LOOK IT UP) DANGEROUS!! I DID HAVE A STILL BIRTH SAME PROBLEM PREVIA PLACENTA SO DONT WASTE TIME WHEN YOU ARE BLEEDIN GOT TO THE ER AND DO IT FAST
MY BABY WAS BORN AT 28 WEEKS . AND SHE DOING WELL SHE HAS NO BREATHING TUBES . SHE WAS ON THE C-PAC FOR 2 DAYS AND NOW STARTING TO DRINK BREAST MILK BY A TINY FEEDING TUBE.........I NO I'M LUCKY AND NOW I'M PRAYING SHE WON'T HAVE ANY BRAIN PROBLEMS.... WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF HER NOT HAVING ANY? DO ANYONE NO AND DOES ANYONE NO WILL HER LOOK CHANGE SHE LOOK LIKE A LIL OLE LADY RIGHT NOW ......LOL WE NAMED HER ( QUEEN ISIS )
I worked with a brilliant little boy who was born at 28 weeks. He was 4 and 5 when in my class and I can honestly say he was the smartest in the class that year. When he was younger, he did receive OT and PT, but by the time he was in my class he no longer needed it and you couldn't tell that he ever had delays. He did have hydrocephali, and had a shunt. But I wouldn't have know if mom hadn't told me, and it didn't give problems.

I imagine she won't look different until she reaches her due date, maybe longer. It's the fat and chub on babies that fills them out and helps them look less "old-lady-like" :)

Congrats on your little one and it's great to hear she's doing well. Also, congrats on your decision to give her breastmilk- that truly will make a difference, especially for such a tiny preemie. If you have any questions about pumping or breastfeeding, feel free to pop over to the breastfeeding forum.
Im in the hospital right now with my gf and scared out of my mind. She is only 28 weeks and her water is broke so the baby is coming. She just recieved her 2nd steriod shot so thats good. Im really nervous about everything. Im praying every time I get a chance. Hope all will turn out ok. As a firefighter my natural instinct is to help but theres not much I can do and its killing me. I enjoyed all the inspirational stories on here hope mine turns out ok also.
i had a baby boy prematurely on march 13th this year, he was born at 30wks weighing just 2lb 2oz. he didnt need much help breathing because i had 4 steroid injections to help his lungs mature. every prem baby is different but they are all little miracles. has your girlfriend had the baby now? if so i hope everything is going well. i cant wait to get my little boy home :-) x
well i am 28 weeks pregnant on monday . my baby only weighs 1 pound and 8 oz . i am so scared i go back to the doctors monday morning also to see if she has gained any more weight cuz they said she was underweight and also she has a problem with one of her legs its bent to were the foot is in her private area so i know exactly how u feel i will prey for u as well as for myself . good luck and god bless
How's your baby doing now? I just came back from the hospital, I stayed there 2 nights and 3 days they also gave me  2 steroid shots for his lungs. I'm only 27 weeks pregnant.. I am so scared, just wishing for more time. I hope your baby turned out fine and wish the best for him or her.
I just had my baby at a day shy of 28 weeks.  She was born on May 27 and was due on August 21.  My water broke and I was in the hospital for two weeks when the baby came.  I was supposed to be in the hospital for 9 weeks.  I know that everything happens as a part of God's plan and I know my baby will be home sooner than we think.  She is doing so good and I know it's because of prayer and faith.  I pray for blessings to all your families!
I was showing my sons pictures of how small he was. We lost most of them in a fire since he was born. He was 29 weeks and 2 pounds 6 ounces  today he is 5 foot 7, 150 pounds and a football player.
he remined in nicu for 7 weeks and had eating issues but mostly heallllllthy for  ababy that size
He has learning disabilties but not enough to hold him back.
I call him my miricle.
His name is Isaac.
My baby is 28 weeker.At 6 th week of life ,her lungs have not started maturing.When will her lungs start developing? Please help if someone had such experience.
I had my lil girl at 33 weeks and she was 5 pounds but her breathing was kinda slow n n she had to learn how to suck out of a bottle she only stayed n there two weeks n nah since in pregnant again they started me on steroids shot at jus 16 weeks n nah I'm 28 weeks and Im doing great and my lil girl 10 mths. N walking and says words also every baby is diff ... But good luck N jus pray n get plenty rest