Maternal & Child Community
Question for those of you with a baby and older child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My DD is a almost 9 months old.   She is crawling everywhere and pulling up on everything.  I am so worried because my son has so many little tiny toys.  He is 4 years old and into Transformers and cars.  Just when I think I have babyproofed the house really good, I find something really small in a place I would not expect.  I have talked to my son about it numerous times and he is very mature for his age.  I am just really stressed because I cannot watch her every single minute and I cannot make sure I have 100% of his toys out of reach.  Those of you with a similar situation how did you get through this stage.
WOW,just like at my house!I have a 9 month old,a 9 yr old & a 13 yr old.With my 13 yr he is on the safer side no small toys or toys at all. It  is the pencils,school supplies.My dd 9 on the other hand has toys that are small.She has doll parts,barbies,princess stuff & also school supplies.I also pick up alot & those still end up on the floor or close to the baby.So what I do is talk to them,let them know the dangers of leaving stuff around.And that baby can get hurt or choke.Now as hard as it sounds if they don't, I throw it away.I just did that once.They caught on pretty quick.
With your 4 yr old just speak with him.Tell him what could happen.I'd rather have a sad dd or ds.Than a hurt baby bc of a toy.
Same with my house. I FIRMLY tell them that leaving toys, little legos, hair clips, and almonds (yes, I recently found several almonds near Brody's toys!) is a matter of LIFE AND DEATH. I think I really shocked my 10 year old last night when I scolded her and told her this same thing. She started crying and I felt bad, but I have said it over and over. My 14 year old recently went to Florida and brought back a bunch of little shells. One of them left theirs out and he got one and put it in his mouth! I didn't even realize it had fallen off the counter and now that he is mobile he finds every little thing. Pennies, little Barbie shoes, you name it, I have found them on the floor. If you have any good ideas anyone please share with me also. Now that Brody is on the move it's dangerous!!
My boys keep the small toys in their room...no exception. Zip, zero, zilch. Ironically it was a penny my little brother lost out of his pocket my baby swallowed...go figure! My dh and I never have change, we use the debit cards for everything and on the rare occasion we have it, the change goes into the car's change holder.

Be ever diligent. My boys have their "safe zone" in their rooms. The toys with small parts do not leave their rooms and the baby does not go in their room unless the toys are put up (they each have special rubbermaid shoe boxes for their small toys.)

ON a funny note, when I was little, around 5, I was changing my little brothers diaper and found a completely intact, but deflated, green balloon in his diaper full of poo. How very luck he was (me too!) that it posed no problems!

Andi, thats funny!! My little niece ate all these vinyl eyes off of some tub toys and they all came out in her poop!! My SIL said it looked so weird, this diaper full of poo and all these eyes looking at her!!!

I told my 3 year old to "test" his toys. If it can fit in a toliet paper roll, he has to keep it in his room. He knows that if I find it downstairs it gets taken way, but he is really good about it. He thinks he is the "police" and will let me know if sister gets into anything she shouldn't. Our biggest trouble now is keeping the kitchen floor swept. I have to sweep after all meals and snacks or she crawls in there and before I know it she is eating off the floor! DD is 10 months and crawls so fast and is into everything, I can't imagine when she learns to walk...
Also... we only do crafts.. coloring stamps etc, when she is sleeping. Too dangerous otherwise.