Maternal & Child Community
Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Question

Hello, I took clomid to concieve (conceive) our son and succeeded but unfortunately our son passed away from SIDS on Mother's Day 2007. Can anyone please tell me if Clomid has any link to causing SIDS? My friend told me that her doctor told her that there is a link between the two. If there is any links that can prove her to be right or prove her to be wrong please let me know. My email address is ***@**** thanks, a concerned mom
My heart is torn my your loss...I am so very sorry and with a 13wk old I surely cannot begin to understand what you must of went/be going through!  Here is what I know for sure....Clomid is a fertility drug that helps ovulation in women who struggling to regulate there periods!  Now some woman have a huge response to this treatment being that a few eggs release and be a cause for multiple births....flip side of this drug is that the is a slightly higher risk of mc in women who use this drug say against woman so conceive naturally.  It was never once said to me that it is was a possible cause of sids....I took the tablet for 5 months and nothing happened for me, not even ovulation...I had to have self injections but b4 I took anything I asked ALL the questions under the sun and a hell of a lot of 'what if's'.  My ob/gyn was very forthcoming with me is I did ask the question for both treatments if I did happen to fall pregnant, carry to term will there be any effects with my child from these drugs?  His response was once I fell pregnant I had to get past the hump of 12wks (danger zone, which was too higher in these types of pregnancies) and then once that was sailed pass it was considered a 'normalish' pregnancy as for the development of the baby....if anything was going to happen it would have anyway with or with out taking the medications....I was checked more often but they was due to PCOS and then I had another completely different game to tackle...gestational diabetes, high blood pressure....But from already asking this question to my DR , I am sure nothing is 100% but he told me with confidence that nothing had been discovered, researched or proven that these medications would spike off anything harmful to the babies.  Maybe what your friends dr was refering to was a persons history that also took clomid because as I have come to observe is that there are a lot of women out there taking clomid for various different reasons but all to ovulation eg, some have PCOS and need it to ovulate...some have endimetrois and need help to ovulate...all very different but require same treatment.  You are in my thoughts sweetie!  Trudy
I hope i made sense and didnt babble too much...