Maternal & Child Community
Risk for miscarriage with late ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

The first day of my last period was December 7th.  My husband and I used OPK tests and I surged on day 30 of my cycle.  I was very surprised at how late I ovulated but we had sex anyway and I took a test 12 days later because I couldn't wait any longer.  It was negative.  I waited a few more days and happily, got a positive test!  That was one week ago.  Now, I'm having some spotting, pink, and only when I wipe.  My sister (who I'm sure means well) tells me that I may be at a high risk for miscarriage because of my late ovulation.  Is this true?  Are my chances of miscarrying any higher then anyone else?  If they are what do I do if I always ovulate late?
Thanks Cryss
Cryss - I think she's thinking of women who have a short "luteal phase" - which is the time between when you ovulate and your period comes.  It should be about 14 days for best chance to have a successful pregnancy.

If you're ovulating late,  but still have a normal length 14 day  luteal phase,  I think you aren't more at risk for miscarrying than anyone else.  

Do you just have long cycles?

Best wishes!
I am currently 35 weeks pregnant.  I ovulated a week late.  I'm carrying this one fine.  My last three pregnancies ended in miscarriage when I ovulated on time.  For me, late ovulation seems to work.

Good luck to you.  I hope you have a very successful several months.
From all the reading I have done recently the follicular phase can and does change from cycle to cycle. The one that stays constant (or should) is the luteal phase - the time from when you have ovulated till your period. That one needs to be consistant and be about 14 days, but no less than 10 days in order for there to be time for implantation. You have nothing to worry about.

The spotting you have depending on where you are at exactly could be implantation bleeding which is very common from what I understand. It is usually pink to light brown. As long as it is not RED then you are ok!

All the best!
I think she is thinking of late implantation. The egg implants between 6-14 days. Most eggs (85%) that implant 12-14 days don't stay. Congrats to you!!!!
Thanks for your responses!  I wish I felt things were better.  I have had some mild cramping as well now, and the bleeding is getting heavier I will let you know.