Maternal & Child Community
Rolaids during pregnancy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rolaids during pregnancy

Someone told me that her doc. told her that it was ok to take tums but not rolaids. anyone else heard this and why?
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My doctor told me the same thing.  I honesty don't remember the reason why.  She said to use the Tums with Calcium so I would get a little extra.  They were a life saver for me.
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
Docs are not too happy about most over the counter antacids during pregnancy.  My sister swears by Papaya tablets (from the health-food section), all natural and remove heartburn.  I've taken them with this pregnancy and they only work if I take them right after a meal.  I have sneaked my Mylanta about 4 times in 25 weeks and just haven't fessed up about it to the doctor. :)
Blank
A girl I worked with that was pregnant during that time was also told by her doctor NOT to take Rolaids, so there must be something to it.

And I've heard that drinking Green Tea during pregnancy increases the chances that the baby will have Spina bifada
Blank
My doctor has nothing against Rolaids.  They are on the "OK to take during pregnancy" list that his office gives out at the first appointment.  I've taken them for a lot of this pregnancy.  Actually, almost all antacids are on that list.  

But I've also heard of other women having doctors where they weren't allowed to take any medication.

I think it really just depends on your doctor.

I have no problem taking Rolaids and they are the only kind I can actually not choke on so I will continue to take them.  Unless someone can show me actual evidence that I shouldn't.

Blank
159354_tn?1286371288
My dr told me the same...TUMS only.  I used them often.  Lived in AZ at the time and always eating Mexican food (real MEX  not taco bell - LOL).  That's what I craved but the after thoughts of spicy food.

Perfectly healthy baby...Don't know why they said no Rolaids.
Blank
Geez, I hope everything is OK, because I just took some Rolaids & it didnt say anything on the label. It was Rolaids w/ calcium. I have no idea what I ate today that is making me feel weird & acidy. I didnt want to keep suffering & it was all i found in my cabinet. Although I am always making sure not to take anything that could harm my baby, hence the reason I found this sight... LOL. My doctor just said that I shouldnt take any laxatives, etc.. which I didnt take anyways.
Blank
tums is only calcium and rolaids has magnesium hydroxide in it...at least that is what i was told
Blank
Here is some info from a doctor's website that I subscribe to.   If someone has bad reflux/heartburn (same thing) that they should try Papaya Enzymes, milk before bed, diet changes and decreased caffeine and spicy food first.  IF that doesn't work, try Rolaids or Maalox.   IF that doesn't work, try a pill like Prilosec.  

Aluminum hydroxide/magnesium hydroxide (Rolaids, Maalox liquid in U.S., Diovol Plus suspension in Canada, etc)

Pregnancy Category B
Generally regarded as safe at normal doses
Excessive aluminum hydroxide may deplete phosphate level and cause accumulation of aluminum
Excessive magnesium hydroxide may lead to hypermagnesemia
Simethicone (in Maalox/Diovol Plus)-no available data, but considered low risk.

Calcium Carbonate (Tums, etc)

Not designated Pregnancy Category
Minimal absorption
Generally regard as safe at normal doses (<7 pills a day)
Excessive carbonate can lead to milk-alkali syndrome (characterized by hypercalcemia, renal impairment, metabolic alkalosis).
Calcium-based antacids are low risk and should be first-line therapy.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...