Maternal & Child Community
Septate uterus diagnosed during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Has anyone out there carried a pregnancy with a septate uterus?  Mine was diagnosed during pregnancy (my first, with no problems conceiving), and I am currently 22 weeks.  So far it seems like a very normal pregnancy, except for the knowledge that the septum is there.  I do have to go for more frequent ultrasounds to check the fetal growth, but that's it.  I am very concerned about the restricted fetal growth and premature delivery.  I was curious to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if so, what was the OB follow-up (i.e. more frequent visit, etc) and when did you deliver?  Any complications, etc, that I should be prepared for?  Thanks to all!  
I have never even herd of this, what is it?
How big is the septum?  If it doesn't go completely down the uterus, it will just be pushed aside by a growing placenta and fetus.  You can do a word search on this site for bicorunate uterus and come up with a lot of women who have them and have talked about their pregnancies.
Thanks.  I don't know how big it is, since it wasn't diagnosed before pregnancy.  From what I understand, to determine the size (width) of the septum, more tests than an ultrasound are needed (although I'm not positive of that).  It doesn't go entirely down the uterus (i.e. I have only one cervix).  I am hoping you are right and it will just be pushed aside, but of course I am still worried!  You are right, I have seen a lot more under bicornuate, but it isn't exactly the same thing.  
I have a unicornate uterus (which can be compared to the size of a septate uterus).  A unicornate uterus means I have half of a uterus.  Mine was discovered during my routine 20 week u/s with my oldest son.  I carried him to 34w0d and my youngest to 34w5d.  Be careful, b/c you are at higher risk for uterine rupture.  

A friend of mine was diagnosed with a bicornate uterus after over 3 hours of pushing.  She had an emergency c/s but was told next time, the only difference would be that they would schedule the c/s instead of making her endure labor.  She was full term.  
i have a spetated utertus, i have a healthy baby boy. I carried him to full term 39 wks. The only thing that affected me was that he was breech and I had to have a c/s.

good luck
sarah in ny
I have a didelphic uterus or "double uterus" so far everthing is progressing smoothly.  I do not seem to be having any pains outside of the norm.  I am now 23w4d.  =)
I am 6weeks and I just went to my doctor and the ultrasound showed that i have a misshaped uterus. I am suspecting it is septate because it is wedge shaped. I am going to see my doctor in a week and she will give me more information. Of course i am worried, after miscarrying at 14 wks eventhough the reason had nothing to do with my uterus which was normal.
Its hard not to worry even though i know it can end up good. I am just glad that i went to the doctor early. I am praying that this week will go smoothly.
Thanks for the information already posted here, it helps alot. I just wanted to ask those that had/have a similar condition: how did you cope and was there anything like cramps etc?
I am 21 yrs old nd I recently found out I had a septated uterus. I am not pregnent nor am I sexually active. This was discovered a few months back when getting a CT scan of the pelvic. I researched and obtained several opinions abt this diagnosis. Most women don't find out they have this until they are pregnant; the specialist I went to described it as having a wall of muscle that seperates the uterus in half, in most cases a surgical procedure must be done to cut the excess muscle within the uterus cavity by inserting an instrument into the vagina.
My baby was breech and many failed attempts of turning I had a c/s. When on the table the doctor old me that I have a septum uterus. I asked him it means my next baby will be breech again, and he explained that it depends on which position the baby lie in th 2nd trimester. I had a problem free pregnancy and after researching septum uterus I feel very blessed
my name is holly i had a septate uterus removed just on the 11th after i  had 5 miscarrages i hope now i can have a baby the surgery was very simple i now can try to get preg after 3 months

I have the same septate uterus, it was found during my first baby c/s delivery. My baby was full term 39+ weeks. He was in Transverse position and the baby was more on my left side due to the septate uterus. Since I am planning to get pregnant again, my doctor suggested me to meet the specialist to get that removed. I am worried about the side effects on removing it. Can you please share your experience on recovery and getting pregnant after the surgery etc….

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.