Maternal & Child Community
Short cervix 20 wks preggo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Short cervix 20 wks preggo

Has anyone had this in a pregnancy? I know it's not routinely monitored unless it's a high risk pregnancy or multiples, but I'm hoping someone has experience with this. My docs are great, I'm now at a high risk clinic, but I'd love to talk to someone who's been through it. I'm pregnant with twins by the way. At my first check via internal ultrasound, it measured 2.4 with a small funnel. One week later it was basically the same and the funnel hadn't changed. I'm on modified bedrest, up to pee and eat. Getting checks weekly. Thanks!! It's very scary to me after 3 miscarriages this year, I'm afraid of a late 2nd tri miscarriage, just trying to make it to 24 wks at this point.
I didn't have twins but I was at righ risk for preterm labor, so they checked me twice a month for a shortening cervix.  I think it was around 28 weeks when I went from 5.2 to 2.4 - with slight funneling.  Thankfully I stayed that way until I gave birth at 37 weeks.

I was on weekly progesterone injections to help minimize the risk for preterm labor.  Are you doing those as well?
Thanks for your response. Well I'm glad you stayed that way for so long! I'm not on progesterone, my peri hasn't mentioned it. I think I will ask him about it on Monday at my next appointment. He said if it changes, we could think about Indocin, which can help but can effect the babies kidneys negatively. It didn't change in two weeks, thank God, but I've got a long way to go. Thanks, I'll ask about the progest.
At my 18wk check they said it was borderline and had me come back in two weeks later.  At 20wks they said it had thickened up and everything was fine. They never did tell me the measurements.  They didn't look at it again until I was 29wk2d and it was 1.1 cm, funneled with no dilation.  Dr told me this meant I was 50% effaced.  This all occured at my high risk dr where they do my u/s.  They put me on bed rest for the night and told me to see my regular OB dr first thing in the morning to do a swab test for a protein.  I forget what the test is called but anyway, if you test negative for the protein there is a 99% chance that you will not go into labor within the next 2wks. If you test positive for the protein, there is about a 40% that you will go into labor within the next 2wks.  So they put me on bed rest.  

My next appt was two weeks later (so 31wks) with my reg OB.  She didn't do an u/s but did do a physical examination of my cervix and said it was now 90% effaced and dilated a finger tip. So that is very thin, maybe like .5 cm.  

I'm now 33wk3d.  They haven't looked at my cervix again because they said sometimes physical exams can stimulate dilation, so it is better to leave it alone as long as i'm not having symptoms of preterm labor.  Which I haven't.  So anyway, I'm still on bed rest.  Dr says to stay this way till 35wks and then after that, I can get off of bed rest and if I go into labor at that point the baby is far enough along.

I'm surprised since you are at 20wks they haven't stitched your cervix closed.  

Anyway, sorry this is so long of a comment, but I thought it might be helpful for you.  Good luck with your bed rest... for me it has been so difficult.  I'm okay some days, but other days I get very down and feel cut off from the world. Like I have dropped out of life.  So try to keep your spirits up.  Hannah
Oh, I forgot to meantion that I did test positive for the protein.  So that was why they put me on bed rest.  But I haven't gone into preterm labor.. maybe because of the bed rest, maybe not, you never know.  
The weekly progesterone injections are still somewhat controversial, but they might help.  They just haven't been around long enough to have a proven successful track record.  

We use Indocin frequently on ladies having preterm contractions.  Its fairly common.  

They should be measuring your cervical length frequently, and you may need a cerclage if it continues to shorten.

Hang in there!  
Yes i was going to ask what a short cervix meant, and then i saw your post. My friend is about 6 mos pregnant and has been in the hospital for 2 wks now, she told me she'd let me know more when possible and all i got was a text from her saying the dr said her cervix got shorter and she wont be leaving the hospital. How do doctors determine this?! And does it mean her son will be born early or not?
They can check it with an ultrasound or by physical examination.  It doesn't mean that she will go into preterm labor, it just means that she is at higher risk of going into preterm labor.  

I hope everything with your friend works out.  The good news is they are aware of it so it can be monitored and risks reduced.  
I had a shortened cervix along with funneling.  I was put on bed rest.  When that didn't work (and they were able to monitor it by simply doing an internal sono at every visit), I had surgery and they put a cerclage in where they discovered that not only was my cervix shirtening but it was extremely thin as well.  The surgery was a great success and I was able to resume almost all of my normal activities barring any sexual activity.  I was induced at 39 weeks when they took the cerclage out and broke my water.  I had my daughter vaginally and she was in excellent health.
Good luck.
Ok thanks for the info, i just dont understand why didnt they know this earlier? wouldnt they be able to tell from her 1st exam?
Thanks everyone.

TankerChic- Thanks for your story, very inspirational to me! Bedrest is so hard.

The problem with cerclage is it's shown in studies to not help with multiple pregnancies, unless you've had previous preterm losses from IC. I've been doing research a lot, and it's been shown that people with cerclages and twins due to a short cervix actually delivered sooner than people with a short cervix who just went on bedrest. This is what my peri said, but I didn't trust him so I looked on my own. And I don't find any successful studies on twins and cerclages. I don't know.

Ava's Mom- They can't measure the cervix accurately until about 18 weeks, apparentley before then it it doesnt matter much.
Oh ok and actually i got a call today from a friend of hers and she told me shes in labor right now. Shes not even due until april 14th so i hope he will be ok!!!
At how many weeks were you diagnosed with the shortened cervix?  I am at 20 weeks and was diagnosed with it just today (1/24).  I am going for a second opinion to a high risk doctor.  I don't have any symptoms of anything abnormal.  Hopefully, all of this can be straightened out.  Any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated.