Maternal & Child Community
Sippy Cups

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sippy Cups

When did you start introducing the sippy cup?

What brand do you like best and why?

Does it come in BPA free plastic?

What liquids did you introduce it with and how often?  

Thanks, hannah
I had a hard time with this but finally mastered it when she was about 11 months old.  I dont remember the name off hand but there was only one that worked for us and I still use them.  You may have to try a few first.
I started just giving one to my DD jsut to play with as soon as she was able to sit up by herself.  I think she was about 4.5 months.  I would sit her in her high chair for a few minutes and let her get familiar with it.  Then I would start putting a little water in it so she could experiment, from there came juice.  I tried every sippy cup in the store, she didn't like ANY of them.  I eventually tried the Gerber Sip and Smile beginners cup.  It's the only one she would use, but once she started using that one, she wanted nothing to do with the bottle.  She was completely off of the bottle by 10 months. Right around the same time she started walking.
we started after 6 months, but she couldn't get it at all. i have one of every kind of cup out there. she loved chewing on the soft spouts. couldn't figure out what to do with hard spouts. i tried with valves and without valves. just before her 1st bday, we were drinking lemonade on the boardwalk and we let her try the straw. she figured it out and has been doing great with a regular straw. it's still the only thing that works, so i bought plain plastic straw cups for $1. not very convenient for on the go, but you're only supposed to let them drink when they're sitting anyways. i am continuing to try the other cups occasionally in hopes of her catching on. i still give her the bottle several times a day simply because she still can't get physically get enough fluids any other way.

i started out with just water in the cups, every few days.
I started giving AJ his sippy cup when he could sit up.  He never took an interest in it until he started getting teeth.  He would sip the water in and spit it back out.  I guess it was soothing on his gums.  Finally at 9.5 months he would pick the sippy cup over the bottle so we just put the bottles away.  I havent looked for bpa free cups.  I need to find some though.  I am putting everything int he cups at room temp and washing them with warm soapy water.  We use the playtex beginner things that say 6+ months and promotes good drinking habits.  I suggest getting a few different kinds to find the ones he likes and to keep him from only liking one kind.  I did that at the beginning.  He started with the ones with the soft tops like nipples and after a week I took it away becasue it was too much like a bottle.  Once he got the hang of the playtex I kept giving him that and now he wont take a different kind.
addy has had a few i give her to practice but she chews on them mostly lol.  she has a "nipple" that is a sippy cup for her advent bottle.  i dont know if its bpa free really.  she has a few others that are same brand and ill check on the new one that is her favorite and i think she might have actually gotten some liquid out!! she doesnt care for bottles in any way shape or form lol.  i have pumped before but since its such a chore (not a high grade pump and takes forever for an ounce) i have given her water. she doesnt suck much if any out.